Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

As communication slowed I was expecting them to cut back and just sort of slide to the finish when next came out.

But just killing the introductory product during a year where Standard attendance is face-planting and sales are apparently stagnant is... Wizards of the Coast I guess. It's sort of funny as someone who came back to the game at Zendikar, when sales were going insane and the game was exploding due to duels and the high quality core sets among other things, to get to this point where they've mucked up nearly everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I guess we should have seen it coming when they said they were bringing back core sets. DotP was a massive driver of new players and two years in a row they screwed the pooch by trying to make extra money off a product that didn't need to make a dime to be profitable.

At the rate they're going, they'll start charging money for the intro packs and put exclusive chase mythics in them because they're not selling.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Hahahaha

I knew this was coming but I thought they'd have the courtesy of announcing this after an update, not sneaking it in just weeks before the expected next one.

What a bunch of turds.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is there even an online card game worth playing now? Eternal and Elder Scrolls are way too creature focused. Hearthstone wants a yearly money commitment to stay competitive in a game where it's only a matter of time til they literally make a coin flip "win the game" card. Shadowverse was the best digital CCG I'd ever played until they released two sets that destroyed its interesting, multifaceted meta.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It's 2017 WoTC, the company is at a low point in management and organization. I'm not sure why. It feels like since Hasbro came down on them for slowing growth a couple years back they've been really goofy and it's all coming to a head now.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there even an online card game worth playing now? Eternal and Elder Scrolls are way too creature focused. Hearthstone wants a yearly money commitment to stay competitive in a game where it's only a matter of time til they literally make a coin flip "win the game" card. Shadowverse was the best digital CCG I'd ever played until they released two sets that destroyed its interesting, multifaceted meta.
I feel like any DCG that is good is only good during a brief moment where the team behind it got it right and then just drowns itself in power creep or trying to amp its conversion rate when the bean counters decide they're not making enough money.

Hearthstone really spoiled the latter by giving them something to compare to even though Hearthstone's popularity is almost entirely bound up in Blizzard's popularity. As long as the accounting department can look to that there will always be a risk.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wow, those fuckers. RIP.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there even an online card game worth playing now?

Gwent is okay. Slightly more fun than Hearthstone.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nah it's all poo poo. Time for self-immolation.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!
I'm all in for Gwent and Hex

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Which one is Hex? Is that the one that's basically a copy-paste of Magic (in a good way)?

I'm just loving how they waited until everyone had spent money on AMK before announcing this. Not even announcing HOD will be the last set, just "lol thanks for the bucks". At least I only ever had to spend like $10 when we got two sets at once and I didn't have enough gold banked.

Now, if they announce that all your Duels cards will carry over into Magic Next... which, considering the rarity restrictions, would not really be that insane of them. It would earn them a ton of goodwill and an overnight playerbase, but people would still have to buy packs/cards to fill out full sets of 4 for Uncommons, Rares and Mythics, not to mention all the cards we just didn't get in Duels.

But, since that would be the smart thing to do, we can be sure they'll never do it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'm pretty sure they implied there's no transfers between platforms planned.

I'm also pretty sure looking at the release calendar for the next eight months WoTC is in full panic mode. I know the pipeline is months back, but there are four products out in november, and two sets after the fall big set. It's pretty clear duels just wasn't making enough money and they dropped it to try to clear a little more spending to improve the books.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Duels wasn't ever supposed to make money, I thought. It was phenomenally successful at feeding people into the paper game, so much so that they were willing to kill core sets.

Obviously I don't have access to their numbers but I feel like the past two iterations were killing the golden goose to try to squeeze out money because Hasbro is demanding more profitability across the board. It wouldn't surprise me at all if some goon from outside WotC had some shortsighted directive to kill off projects that weren't making money without a feel for the larger ecosystem of how the in-store play network exists, gets new blood, brings back lapsed players, etc.

If nothing else, the state of design and standard format definitely feels like it's reeling from shortsighted cash grabs. The Gatewatch was apparently a big marketing failure. The push to make story elements into tourney-viable cards has led to a giant heap of standard bans. The game just doesn't feel like it's being run by the people who know how to make a good game right now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Personally I can't wait to see how bad the Magic MMO will be, and how bad it will tank.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Magic MMO could easily be fantastic: It's Shandalar, but you've got a vanguard like sort of thing going. (They won't do this)

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Obviously I don't have access to their numbers but I feel like the past two iterations were killing the golden goose to try to squeeze out money because Hasbro is demanding more profitability across the board. It wouldn't surprise me at all if some goon from outside WotC had some shortsighted directive to kill off projects that weren't making money without a feel for the larger ecosystem of how the in-store play network exists, gets new blood, brings back lapsed players, etc.
I don't know if things have changed, but historically Hasbro hasn't really been telling WoTC what to do. The rumor a couple years back is that they were getting more involved and putting more pressure on them as growth slid back from the Zendikar years - this is when they announced the accelerated rotation, killing the modern PT and some other stuff that much of which has been walked back.

WoTC has always, always been immensely short sighted. There's no way Hasbro came up with the accelerated rotation, and that's probably the dumbest idea they've ever come up with. But I mean, Duels was made after years of pushback that products like Shandalar would somehow destroy the game. I suppose with that in mind it doesn't matter: Either Hasbro put pressure on them and bad ideas boiled up, or Hasbro put bad ideas in.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hasn't it all been more or less constantly downhill, with only occasional upticks, since Garfield left? I don't mean profits obviously, but general quality and good decisions.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Garfield left like 15 years ago but occasionally comes back to work on design teams.

Has quality been declining? Battle for Zendikar through Eldritch Moon was an obvious bump caused by them switching release formats when the design and creative teams already had three-part sets planned. Kaladesh was fun and had energy and vehicles as major new mechanics that seemed fine. Amonkhet isn't that exciting but I would have said the same thing about Kaladesh before Aether Revolt came out and rounded out the mechanics.

I guess you could say like, 2015 to 3rd quarter 2016 was a dip in quality? I'm not sure how people reacted to the New Phyrexia and Khans of Tarkir blocks but I'm not aware of any antipathy.

The constant Gatewatch focus has been annoying and they've said they're backing off on them in upcoming sets.

If you consider Apocalypse and Champions of Kamigawa and Odyssey I'm not sure you can draw a downward trend line on quality. There have been some pretty dire sets before the Ravnica-Innistrad winning streak they had.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 17, 2017

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

If you consider Apocalypse and Champions of Kamigawa and Odyssey I'm not sure you can draw a downward trend line on quality. There have been some pretty dire sets before the Ravnica-Innistrad winning streak they had.
You what? Apocalypse was a huge success, and Champions block was actually big with casuals. Odyssey into Onslaught is definitely kind of a bad age though, though Legions and Scourge both sold really well.

Also there is no streak from Ravnica to ISD. Cold Snap is garbage. Time Spiral is a noted "hurt attendance" block that forced a revision of design policies. I've read Lorwyn (and it's three sets with it) was considered a gently caress up too and that it's poor sales are why the supply of cards is lower than Mirrodin through Kamigawa.

As an aside the Gatewatch is so loving funny to me. There are interviews with R&D where they talk about the Weatherlight crew and how following a cast too tightly really pissed off players after a while, and how they'd never ever do that again. There's still people in R&D who worked on the weatherlight arc! It's the same people! Like what, maybe this time Jace will be oh so much more compelling than Ertai?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ah I didn't realize Lorwyn and Time Spiral were in there. So we're left with what, no pattern at all?

Seems like wildly popular, boring, overcomplicated and broken sets come on each other's heels. Sometimes one set is both popular and bad.

I personally thought Armageddon was trash even though it was popular because while gold sets sell they didn't do anything interesting with the mechanics and the story was DBZ level schlock.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 17, 2017

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think you could argue the new world order policy churned out mostly excellent sets (other than AVR in limited, I guess) until the two-block accelerated thing started loving up blocks midway through design.

Also the other pattern is every single artifact block is accompanied with standard bannings. So maybe they should just stop with that idea.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
I really hope this new Magic digital game has full card art and not that Hearthstone style poo poo.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Playing through the story and all the help quests again this was kind of cool, nice interactive magic basics tutorial.

and still waiting for those useless 2000 coins!

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

precision posted:

Which one is Hex? Is that the one that's basically a copy-paste of Magic (in a good way)?

Yep, need a magic game like that!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762663&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wow you'd think they would have continued updates on their current platform until the new one comes out so that the playerbase doesn't disappear.

I'm not sure I see myself playing Magic in the future.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm definitely skipping NEXT for the time being.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I downloaded Hex and opened a Tyrannosaurus Rex, a 6/4 trampler for 6 mana with 2G required. Hi Craw Wurm lol.

Lands aren't permanents in Hex and I don't know if that's a good thing.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 20, 2017

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

Wow you'd think they would have continued updates on their current platform until the new one comes out so that the playerbase doesn't disappear.

You can always pay $700 a month and play Magic Online.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'll have you know the average Top 10 deck only costs $340 now!

Of course you could just open packs...

quote:

the current EV of an Amonkhet booster pack is $0.51, while the retail price is $3.99

Wait so MTGO doesn't even have matchmaking unless you pay for a game?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 20, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you can get Amonkhet boosters for $0.50 a pop it seems like the odds of getting decent cards would be pretty good compared to the certainty of spending however fuckoff dozens of dollars per chase Rare?

I haven't used MTGO in about 7 years, except for about an hour a couple years ago where I hilariously steamrolled a bunch of people who were clearly not expecting to be facing a 10 year old Web of Inertia/Samurai of the Pale Curtain deck :v:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

MTGO is probably not that expensive, unless you never win, but it's A) Terrible in terms of a Digital product B) Constantly on the prowl for more ways to squeeze money out of the player base instead of trying to increase the number of players.

People like to say you can draft in your underpants, but I draft more than enough in real life.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Arglebargle III posted:

Wait so MTGO doesn't even have matchmaking unless you pay for a game?
It has casual rooms you can play all day once you have a deck built. The people and decks in there aren't always tournament-level and you'll find a lot of babies that will concede if you cast a Thoughtseize or counterspell, but generally you can get a budget deck for $10-30 and play it for a long time on that investment. You just won't ever earn more cards or anything like you would in Duels.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Boco_T posted:

It has casual rooms you can play all day once you have a deck built. The people and decks in there aren't always tournament-level and you'll find a lot of babies that will concede if you cast a Thoughtseize or counterspell

That's what makes MTGO so expensive. If you want to play a full game, you have to put money on the table, otherwise the other player will just concede if their turn two combo doesn't go off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eikre
May 2, 2009
There's a random sale on Kaladesh and Aether Revolt boosters today.

• Locked thread