Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Wow, yeah the whole "Vote for your favorite live tattoo" before they even got revealed was utter bullshit. I really do feel for Matt though because what's the point of going through 35+ hours of work on something to not even be considered? Did anyone catch Chris telling Matt "This was bullshit" right as Matt was seethingly walking away? What was that about?

Grats to Kruseman though, that really was a killer piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Glad Kruseman won. Glad Chris didn't. Matt got screwed over.

Glad it is all over and can wait till next year's poo poo season.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

hepscat posted:

What the gently caress? We don't even get to see Matt's 35-hour tattoo? I came to this thread to see if I missed it by flipping channels. There was so much filler and so many commercials I couldn't stand it.

They did show it, I think right after he got eliminated? It was actually a pretty cool tattoo that I personally would prefer on my back over either of the others, but Kruzeman's was also cool.

You are right about the filler though. I started fast forwarding after Dave's comment about Marissa's "new master."

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Fru Fru posted:

They did show it, I think right after he got eliminated? It was actually a pretty cool tattoo that I personally would prefer on my back over either of the others, but Kruzeman's was also cool.

You are right about the filler though. I started fast forwarding after Dave's comment about Marissa's "new master."

Was it this one? :nws:
http://www.spike.com/photo-gallery/82veqd/1/-artist-portfolio-matt-obaugh-artist-portfolio-matt-obaugh-1

The verbage on the photo is just nonsense and I can't tell if they just added it or it's something he did before the show.

Edit: wtf just noticed the woman getting spiked through the crotch so I'll add a nws tag

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

hepscat posted:

Was it this one? :nws:
http://www.spike.com/photo-gallery/82veqd/1/-artist-portfolio-matt-obaugh-artist-portfolio-matt-obaugh-1

The verbage on the photo is just nonsense and I can't tell if they just added it or it's something he did before the show.

Edit: wtf just noticed the woman getting spiked through the crotch so I'll add a nws tag

No, that isn't it. I think that portfolio is stuff he did before the show.

Here is his https://www.facebook.com/SpikeInkMaster/photos/pcb.917336618345840/917332598346242/?type=3&theater

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Ok thanks. That really is worth more than a glance.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
To be honest, I thought Chris and Kruseman did better back pieces than Matt anyhow. Not to say Matt's isn't real nice, but the other two covered a lot more ground.

Ah well. I think Dave said Revenge airs March 1st of next year.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

hepscat posted:

Ok thanks. That really is worth more than a glance.

But the more you look the worse it gets. Look at the skull and how it's being held. Both the skull and the holding hand are terrible. Who needs anatomy anyway, right?

I'll be bold and say that, just based on the master canvas, Chris should have won. Kruseman's was a busy mess. Pretty, but holy smokes eye cancer inducing.

Also:

Morkfang fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 15, 2015

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

I think Matt should at least have been able to show his back pieces with the others.

That was just.. such garbage, to go all that way and get kicked out before you even show you 35 hour piece, and even for the canvas. Who had 35 hours of work done, and it means nothing, (Or whatever 3rd prize is.) I hope she likes the piece.

..But, yeah.. that face on that army military piece is just..

Jesus. He mutilated that face. Wonky eyes, melted face. Disjointed nose, and a lamprey mouth.

Arm_Fruit
Jul 1, 2013
I have a feeling this is to get Chris back on the program for another season. If they haven't filmed Revenge yet it seems that he'd be part of that, eh?

Arm_Fruit
Jul 1, 2013
He was clearly the better artist throughout the competition and including the master work. IMO he deserved it more, I think this is a producer-move.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
I thought Matt's final piece didn't really hold up to the others and I'm quite sure that's why the judges decided to kick him for the tiger tattoo. It wouldn't have left much suspense if it was his versus Chris's. The 6 hour tattoo added nothing to this show and made it feel more bullshit than usual.
I thought Kruseman's was beautiful and I'm glad he won.
... did they even talk to Erik? :ohdear:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Arm_Fruit posted:

He was clearly the better artist throughout the competition and including the master work. IMO he deserved it more, I think this is a producer-move.
If all factors were equal and sensible and immune to producer fixing then chris wouldn't even have been in the final three for drawing backwards wings on an uninspiring phoenix, on his second chance at working one in a single season

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
What I didn't like and don't understand was the judges huddling up and whispering at the final. WTF do they have to keep secret at that point, why not speak out loud about whatever it is they're discussing.
After weeks of chewing out and insulting tattooers to their faces, it seemed really weird for them to suddenly become shy and afraid to speak up.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Because they're getting the winner from the producers through Daves ear piece at that point. You could hear him talking to them at one point for sure.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Epi Lepi posted:

Because they're getting the winner from the producers through Daves ear piece at that point. You could hear him talking to them at one point for sure.

I guess so, but they could have got their instructions earlier than that.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 16, 2015

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

I had half forgotten how it went down during the Rivals final. Oliver picked Jason out loud, Chris picked Cleen, and then Dave thought about it before declaring Jason had what it takes.

New episode of Redemption tonight FYI.

Also, Spike announced they're already preparing for season 8, slated to debut next year after Revenge.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Epi Lepi posted:

I finally caught the finale via VOD and on Comcast at least there is a super weird couple of minutes where they were re-recording the commercial throw for the Sweat Ink show. The live show is just strange, and Dave comes off really wooden.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

They never seem very good at promoting anything else on Spike (at least, that's not ink related.) I remember them cracking up when promoting Framework, that furniture building competition.

HairyNipple!
Dec 31, 2004

hello i am fast cheap awesome
Just binged through this season in the past week. The live finales are always the absolute worst, and it's hilarious. Whoever produces these live shows have no idea what they're doing. The constant audio screw-ups were great - Dave literally had to shout at Matt as he was walking off. Contestants were talking while they weren't mic'd etc.

It also highlights how heavily edited the show must be, because the judges are nowhere near as sure of themselvs critiquing live. They hardly said anything at all, "Yeah man, all up it's a solid tattoo. Very nice. Solid. Very solid tattoo." I loved Dave's critiques though, because they added absolutely nothing at all. He's just enthusiastic that he gets to join in.

They were really blatant with production telling them what to do, with Oliver pointing at his ear and Dave going "Welcome to my world", and Dave just straight up talking to himself/production at one point.

All in all, it was a trainwreck once again. I'll keep watching though.

As for the overall season, I thought the quality of tattoos this season was better than it has been in the past. I personally don't think there was anybody there that flat-out didn't deserve to be there. Everyone was at least half-way decent. Even though I didn't like Chris, his tattoos were far and away the best and most consistant throughout the season, and it's kinda rubbish that he didn't win. For all the other eliminations, they take in to account each person's previous performances even though they shouldn't, and then at the finale they just drop all that and vote for whichever tattoo they like. Inconsistent, but whatever, it's a dumb show.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

HairyNipple! posted:

Just binged through this season in the past week. The live finales are always the absolute worst, and it's hilarious. Whoever produces these live shows have no idea what they're doing. The constant audio screw-ups were great - Dave literally had to shout at Matt as he was walking off. Contestants were talking while they weren't mic'd etc.

It also highlights how heavily edited the show must be, because the judges are nowhere near as sure of themselvs critiquing live. They hardly said anything at all, "Yeah man, all up it's a solid tattoo. Very nice. Solid. Very solid tattoo." I loved Dave's critiques though, because they added absolutely nothing at all. He's just enthusiastic that he gets to join in.

They were really blatant with production telling them what to do, with Oliver pointing at his ear and Dave going "Welcome to my world", and Dave just straight up talking to himself/production at one point.

All in all, it was a trainwreck once again. I'll keep watching though.

As for the overall season, I thought the quality of tattoos this season was better than it has been in the past. I personally don't think there was anybody there that flat-out didn't deserve to be there. Everyone was at least half-way decent. Even though I didn't like Chris, his tattoos were far and away the best and most consistant throughout the season, and it's kinda rubbish that he didn't win. For all the other eliminations, they take in to account each person's previous performances even though they shouldn't, and then at the finale they just drop all that and vote for whichever tattoo they like. Inconsistent, but whatever, it's a dumb show.

I don't think this was an audio problem, I think Matt just wanted to book it off the stage. It can't feel very good to be eliminated before even showing your final masterpiece tattoo.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Anyone catch this week's Redemption? Both canvases really threw me for a loop and I forgot just how insufferable that woman was who Nick tattooed in season 2(?). I also like how Jason just has no fucks to give and speaks his mind at all times.

Active666
Apr 3, 2009

Not Today Satan posted:

Anyone catch this week's Redemption? Both canvases really threw me for a loop and I forgot just how insufferable that woman was who Nick tattooed in season 2(?). I also like how Jason just has no fucks to give and speaks his mind at all times.

I'm loving the new and improved Jason Clay Dunn, and yeah the other chick was straight up nuts.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Apparently Scott Marshall is dead? It's being reported by celeb sites like TMZ but I'm hesitant to believe the news until something more reputable reports it.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Apparently Scott Marshall is dead? It's being reported by celeb sites like TMZ but I'm hesitant to believe the news until something more reputable reports it.

It's a few more places now and Dave Navarro has tweeted about it. That's too bad. :rip:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Just saw last week's Redemption episode, couldn't stop laughing at Steve cleverly trashing that Big Fat Greek Trainwreck to her face and the interview camera. What a wretched sack of poo poo, exactly as loopy and insufferable as in S2. Jason's straight talk was also highly welcome, and it's really good that they keep bringing him back now that he's confident on camera

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Man, i thought that short obituary card for Scott Marshall was some kind of Halloween prank. I don't follow the contestants after any given season and he certainly wasn't a favorite, but that's and incredibly lovely piece of news. Preliminary vague reports are saying he died in his sleep on October 24th of a preexisting heart condition, but at a hotel room after a work day instead of in his home. Police are still investigating and sounds like a possible overdose scenario, but either way it's a horrendous situation for his family/friends. He was undoubtedly one of the most talented artists ever on this stupid show.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Man, i thought that short obituary card for Scott Marshall was some kind of Halloween prank. I don't follow the contestants after any given season and he certainly wasn't a favorite, but that's and incredibly lovely piece of news. Preliminary vague reports are saying he died in his sleep on October 24th of a preexisting heart condition, but at a hotel room after a work day instead of in his home. Police are still investigating and sounds like a possible overdose scenario, but either way it's a horrendous situation for his family/friends. He was undoubtedly one of the most talented artists ever on this stupid show.

News I read said that he called his wife and told her he was feeling unwell, that he wasn't fit to drive home from work, so went to local hotel for the night. It sounded like a pretty genuine scenario.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

All the articles said that, the investigation still being open is the part to pay attention to. Deaths by natural causes tend to be open and shut with very brief turnaround.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Looks like this show is starting up again soon. Should we start a new thread, or nah?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Does the cast look like human garbage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
New thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3766487

• Locked thread