Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dlr
Jul 9, 2015

I'm fluid.
There doesn't seem to be some official guide for the current editions , sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Find your nearest large university. Then start poking around and see if you can find some far off isolated basement or subfloor. Once there you will have to look around some more, do some more digging. Look for computers running XP, Unix, etc. Anything that looks like its connected to heavy industrial scientific equipment is probably a good indicator. Now you know you have FORTRAN sign. Start looking for people in their late 50's - 70's. They will most likely be unironically wearing pocket protectors, suspenders and carrying around a coffee cup with a witty science pun on it. Go talk to that guy, make sure to mention how silly modern programming like C+ and Python is to make friendly with them. They should be able to teach you anything you need to know.

dlr
Jul 9, 2015

I'm fluid.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Find your nearest large university. Then start poking around and see if you can find some far off isolated basement or subfloor. Once there you will have to look around some more, do some more digging. Look for computers running XP, Unix, etc. Anything that looks like its connected to heavy industrial scientific equipment is probably a good indicator. Now you know you have FORTRAN sign. Start looking for people in their late 50's - 70's. They will most likely be unironically wearing pocket protectors, suspenders and carrying around a coffee cup with a witty science pun on it. Go talk to that guy, make sure to mention how silly modern programming like C+ and Python is to make friendly with them. They should be able to teach you anything you need to know.

God dangit; what the hell.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I laughed my rear end off at his post. What are you looking for?

Did a Google search of "Learn Fortran" fail you in some way? If I search Amazon for "Fortran 2008" I get several book results. Introduction to Programming with Fortran: With Coverage of Fortran 90, 95, 2003, 2008, and 77 is probably a good starting point.

Welcome to Something Awful, you came in here, made a low effort post for something easily searchable and actually got a pretty decent comedy answer.

dlr
Jul 9, 2015

I'm fluid.

skipdogg posted:

I laughed my rear end off at his post. What are you looking for?

Did a Google search of "Learn Fortran" fail you in some way? If I search Amazon for "Fortran 2008" I get several book results. Introduction to Programming with Fortran: With Coverage of Fortran 90, 95, 2003, 2008, and 77 is probably a good starting point.

Welcome to Something Awful, you came in here, made a low effort post for something easily searchable and actually got a pretty decent comedy answer.

Thanks, man; for the welcome and the help! I'm not gonna lie, it was a drat quality post. I thought he was actually serious until near the end of the paragraph. I definitely need to lurk more, though.

EDIT: I had to edit this post about 10 times, because I forgot how to BBcode. Isn't life great?

dlr fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 9, 2015

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

dlr posted:

EDIT: I had to edit this post about 10 times, because I forgot how to BBcode. Isn't life great?

If you struggle with BBcode, then Fortran is going to be a giant kick in the balls.

And not the good type.

dlr
Jul 9, 2015

I'm fluid.

spog posted:

If you struggle with BBcode, then Fortran is going to be a giant kick in the balls.

And not the good type.

I never really learned BBcode in the first place. Eh. I'll make it, though. I'm actually learning FORTRAN as a first programming language, and I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

dlr posted:

I never really learned BBcode in the first place. Eh. I'll make it, though. I'm actually learning FORTRAN as a first programming language, and I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

Why?

Do you own a card puncher and feel the desire to use it?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Why would you pick FORTRAN as your first language?

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
If I need to somewhat know a language for some reason I usually just read the wikipedia page and then http://rosettacode.org

There's this, but it's literally reference: https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortranStandards

That first post is now the longest line in my fortune file ...

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
Also if you're actually programming an old rear end machine or something there is most definitely a c compiler for it still.

If you just have some code that happens to be in fortran, sorry.

(Sorry about the double post!)

dlr
Jul 9, 2015

I'm fluid.

spog posted:

Why?

Do you own a card puncher and feel the desire to use it?

It seems like a pretty straight-forward programming language. I thought it would be a good option for a first. Do you have any recommendations for one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

dlr posted:

It seems like a pretty straight-forward programming language. I thought it would be a good option for a first. Do you have any recommendations for one?
You should learn a modern programming language to learn programming as it's practiced today. If you start by learning an obsolete language, you're going to have a bear of a time unlearning all your bad habits before you can do anything useful.

Check out the Cavern of COBOL, the programming forum, for more information.

• Locked thread