Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I know Pixel Tactics Online was back in dev briefly, but likely on such a shoestring that nothing came of it. It's a drat shame from how good-looking it was in dev. Fabio really knocked out the sprites on that one. Hell, there was some initial art done on the stretch goal Indines VN which I wanted in the art book, but those decisions were made after my exit.

And yeah, I pushed for a ban on the Nazi ringleader when I was with them, but it was too late and it was really just one guy. The bigots had their own server to organize harassment, so booting them was sadly academic at that point. Perhaps we should have reached out to Discord in retrospect, but I don't recall if that was even floated. It was tough twisting the arms of the guys who were like "well, they don't break any rules...", but to be fair to Brad, he came in with, "I don't know why this discussion is being had, just ban him." At the same time, he also didn't want to get too involved. So it goes.

The whole statement against hate done at the time was something I leaned into, at least. I also insisted on the whole values section that was written in the Indines bible end up in the artbook, and that did appear in the final version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Wow, I am a little sad to hear about Seventh Cross, the glimpse we got of the world and characters in Exceed made me think maybe it was at least being worked on in some capacity.

I actually came to the thread for more info on 99 Heroes, a "free to play" tabletop game. It sounds really cool and the idea that it's just a bonus in addition to purchases from the website is pretty interesting. I'm just wondering if anyone has actually played it yet.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
https://www.level99store.com/blogs/news/announcing-a-free-to-play-tabletop-game

Now if only buying things from their website wasn't the worst way to buy anything L99 does.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I know, like I understand the idea, but I’d rather just buy the whole set in one go.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
I would think a subscription model of some kind would probably work out better than whatever you would call this, but that obviously has its own hassles.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

PubicMice posted:

I would think a subscription model of some kind would probably work out better than whatever you would call this, but that obviously has its own hassles.

Gotta juice the FOMO.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

PJOmega posted:

Gotta juice the FOMO.

Is it FOMO when it's free?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Thirsty Dog posted:

Is it FOMO when it's free?

Free if you happen to be buying an L99 game every single quarter anyway, which is really some hardcore fan territory.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Didn't they say they would sell them as packs?

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
If I read it right, you just buy the limited edition version for $10, while the regular edition is included as a freebie if you order over $50 of stuff in a quarter.

I like the game idea but this seems like a pretty convoluted way to deliver it. It kind of works better for new fans, who are more likely to have $50 of stuff they (might) want every few months than for people who already have most of the Level 99 catalog.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Yeah, I own the vast majority of the stuff of theirs that I want and can't see regularly spending $50+ on their store. But hey maybe the game will suck and I won't care. :P

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I don't own any BCON anymore, Pay the cost of shipping and these beauties' are yours!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

djfooboo posted:

I don't own any BCON anymore, Pay the cost of shipping and these beauties' are yours!

Yes please!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

jivjov posted:

Yes please!

Go ahead and DM me your address and I’ll get it sent this week.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
I got my copy of Guilty Gear Exceed a few weeks back. It might be the first Kickstarter game I've ever got ahead of the projected schedule and I've been having a great time with it. So far I've tried matches with Ky, Sol, Ramlethal, and Jack-o. Can't wait to try some of the more complex ones.

On the note of selling or sending stuff, if anyone has the season 3 Exceed Street Fighter boxes (besides the Chun Li box) and is interested in selling drop me a line.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

:toot:

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
That's awesome. I kinda wish I'd gone all in, but hadn't played Exceed before.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm kind of a degenerate collector when it comes to these types of games. I would say that the chances I've had to play the Strive season have been very positive though, and the characters feel right in the same way that the Street Fighter season (RIP) felt right.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I'm a little less enamoured by it. I'm not entirely sure the flavour of each character has come through well enough, and having sat down to play several games with my girlfriend, the matchup between our two favourite Strive characters seems incredibly lopsided - Baiken just steamrollers Testament, who spends the entire game with sub par options and no way to impose their game plan.

Leo hopping in and out of exceed mode is good and one of the few examples of them really nailing the feel of playing the character, but very few cards care about it and instead it's aimed at wild swings, which is not my favourite character design.

Chipp is absolutely ridiculous.

I dunno, I've not had time to play all of them or anything, but it doesn't seem as good as the street fighter season. The cancel system is excellent, a mechanic I really like, but I found myself hankering to play BCon for the first time in ages instead.

Hopefully this is just reflecting my lack of expertise with these games, as I haven't seen many of these concerns (bar Chipp) mentioned much elsewhere.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I haven't tried Testament or Baiken but managed to try out Potemkin, Goldlewis, Zato-1, May, Leo, Faust and Nago and they all felt pretty good to pilot.

On the other hand, I do tend to feel that it is difficult within the constraints of the EXCEED engine to fully be able to make characters feel different if you are adhering to the basic staples of what a fighting game character should be like, which is why I still think the Shovel Knight season is the apex of EXCEED design at the moment.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Tekopo posted:

I haven't tried Testament or Baiken but managed to try out Potemkin, Goldlewis, Zato-1, May, Leo, Faust and Nago and they all felt pretty good to pilot.

On the other hand, I do tend to feel that it is difficult within the constraints of the EXCEED engine to fully be able to make characters feel different if you are adhering to the basic staples of what a fighting game character should be like, which is why I still think the Shovel Knight season is the apex of EXCEED design at the moment.

Pot looks great, just scanning what his cards do. Just a fabulous set of specials IMO.

And I agree that the game itself puts a hard limit on what can be achieved while keeping the normals and trying to avoid mountains of card text. The Seventh Cross season was my first intro to Exceed and it took me forever to understand how to play it, even though I appreciate just how different those characters are. SF/Strive are far more likely to hit the table as a result.

This has made me eager to investigate whether there are good custom characters to flesh out both sets, too.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I miss playing BCon. I could never really get into Exceed but my one boardgame playing friend vastly prefers it and has sworn off BCon. Haven't played it in years now.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

SF Season was cut short. There were a whole host of unreleased characters that were in playtesting, but were never released in the end. Which is a shame.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Infinity Gaia posted:

I miss playing BCon. I could never really get into Exceed but my one boardgame playing friend vastly prefers it and has sworn off BCon. Haven't played it in years now.
I'm always up for games of BCon on TTS when I have the time. Gotta play with my boys Wardlaw, Alexian and Demitras a spin once in a while. Also if any goons are in the UK and want to try any of Combo Fighter/Yomi/Sakura Hearts/EXCEED/BattleCON/Pocket Paragons, let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Thirsty Dog posted:

I'm a little less enamoured by it. I'm not entirely sure the flavour of each character has come through well enough, and having sat down to play several games with my girlfriend, the matchup between our two favourite Strive characters seems incredibly lopsided - Baiken just steamrollers Testament, who spends the entire game with sub par options and no way to impose their game plan.

Leo hopping in and out of exceed mode is good and one of the few examples of them really nailing the feel of playing the character, but very few cards care about it and instead it's aimed at wild swings, which is not my favourite character design.

Chipp is absolutely ridiculous.

I absolutely do not trust L99 to develop their games sufficiently and I have become incredibly jaded about it, so this is no surprise to read. It's really a shame but I simply don't expect things to even be close to "balanced" or even well considered in an overarching sense if it says L99 on the box. Still they have an incredible hold on a niche of the hobby (really an intersection of two hobbies) and they put out some incredibly fun content.