Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qwerinty

by zen death robot
I got so angry and stressed I crushed a pen in my hands in front of my aggressor, its blood flowing between my fingers. time for a smoke

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danzel Glovington

I'm too old to bury my son!

gently caress you goons don't disappoint, I for real typed "somethingawful quit smoking" into google hoping for support, I like the website, and I hate smoking but guess what I'm addicted to it. Got anything?

I mean I made a strawpoll!
http://www.strawpoll.me/10360966

Matoi Ryuko

I smoked for 3 years, usually around a pack a day, and only ever smoked marlboro reds. My advice is to treat the addiction like you were amputating a hand, you cut it off and start screaming, because you know it's going to hurt, best to get all the pain out at once, in my opinion!! Addiction is like a part of you, that has a will of it's own and will fight you if you try to get rid of it, because it has a desire to keep itself alive. You'll be plagued with thoughts of smoking at an increasing intensity until the 4th day, and then things cool down after then. What I did to keep myself away from cigarettes was to go on all day hikes, only eating fast food and then immediately returning to the hike.

Danzel Glovington

That's something. Decent distraction suggestions. I see things that are like, "Cut out alcohol or coffee for 4 weeks" which I'm like WTF you want me to sever ties with THREE substances that I'm addicted to now?!?!?! I thought the one that was gonna kill me the soonest and most horribly was enough!

edit: Also I have no experience with the severing of my own limbs, either from a doctor's recommendation and procedure or otherwise so that comparison is hard to relate to. But I honestly DO appreciate the sentiment, thank you. I feel like all those "4 days and the shitshow dies down" or "9 months and all withdrawl symptoms are done" don't apply to me. I honestly feel it takes literally double for all of those suggest exsmoking timelines to take place.

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 31, 2016

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
i try to remember what life was like before cigarettes, when my emotions were on longer and more steady waves because cigarettes, while good and tasty and fulfilling, leave my emotions in really short and stuttering waves where i need to spend money and time to smoke to get through my day. quitting sucks but there is always that feeling weeks or months later when i'm driving down the road and i realize i'm not smoking anymore and i have more money and time and health and i'm happier.

yes i have quit and relapsed many, many times

Danzel Glovington

thanks for your message. I'm experiencing harsh insomnia currently

Danzel Glovington

Also I can't find a big goon tobacco quitting thread I've looked around and this is the most active one on the site... any links to something that might not have a dancing cat in the corner while I'm replying? Don't mean to put you fine folks down, please realize that. Most "Quit smoking" sties and blogs and communities are made up of people who have quit for a long time! Is there a group anyone knows of that is actually for people who are just beginning to quit, no pedestals of people who already have done it that I'm just gonna be irrationally jealous of? Offsite is perfectly OK.

Crinklepouch

Its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys.
I was only able to quit smoking through ecigarettes. They're kind of lame but they've kept me off the cigarettes for over 2 years and they're much, much cheaper, so that's enough for me right now.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

I haven't read this thread because I love smoking to much to quit. Also, smoking is extremely cool

Danzel Glovington

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

I haven't read this thread because I love smoking to much to quit. Also, smoking is extremely cool

you should quit, anyone who smokes should quit and anyone who is bothered by the constant berating of ex-smokers bitching at you for wanting you to quit should get over themselves and quit. I'm on board with them now, smoking makes you a worse person, and beyond that a worse entity existing on this planet because you smoke, and it will kill you. That's it, that's the bottom line, whatever a smoker says about choice and humanity and freedom and wanting to live in peace without being scrutinized just need to stop smoking to realize that everything in this post is true.

I know it's cool but cool can be bad too. Murder looks cool in the movie Saw but it's not cool IRL bad metaphor but find a good one and I'll say I came up with it.

Don't let something kill you, cause we all gonna die, dying is the only thing we know will happen to us for a fact, so prevent it as long as possible. The less you die, the more you do of LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE.

Admiral_eX_laX

Historically Inaccurate

Darth Lamer posted:

I was only able to quit smoking through ecigarettes. They're kind of lame but they've kept me off the cigarettes for over 2 years and they're much, much cheaper, so that's enough for me right now.

Me too. Not sure if it's any cheaper than the real thing - vape gear and juice gets expensive. But I've stuck to one good mod over the past year and started mixing my own ejuice.

I'm trying to quit vaping - sounds like the FDA is going to kill it soon. I'd gladly continue vaping if it weren't for that.

Matoi Ryuko

Danzel Glovington posted:

you should quit, anyone who smokes should quit and anyone who is bothered by the constant berating of ex-smokers bitching at you for wanting you to quit should get over themselves and quit. I'm on board with them now, smoking makes you a worse person, and beyond that a worse entity existing on this planet because you smoke, and it will kill you. That's it, that's the bottom line, whatever a smoker says about choice and humanity and freedom and wanting to live in peace without being scrutinized just need to stop smoking to realize that everything in this post is true.

I know it's cool but cool can be bad too. Murder looks cool in the movie Saw but it's not cool IRL bad metaphor but find a good one and I'll say I came up with it.

Don't let something kill you, cause we all gonna die, dying is the only thing we know will happen to us for a fact, so prevent it as long as possible. The less you die, the more you do of LITERALLY EVERYTHING ELSE.

The worst thing about smokers is how big of jerks they turn into after they haven't had one in a few hours. :(

Anyway, I was thinking that quitting isn't really doing anything at all, it's the opposite of doing, really.

Golden Gate Bride
knife to meet you
Here's also a good reason to quit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJnrsCGDpOY

Danzel Glovington

Matoi Ryuko posted:

The worst thing about smokers is how big of jerks they turn into after they haven't had one in a few hours. :(

Anyway, I was thinking that quitting isn't really doing anything at all, it's the opposite of doing, really.

If kind people remind us why we are acting a certain way we can reassess and not be that way.

So genuinely I'm grateful you pointed that out.

And quitting smoking is more like not doing when you've done something you want to not be doing anymore. Rather than simply the opposite of doing, which doesn't really have an opposite other than "not doing" and just throwing the word not in front of another is the cheapest opposite I know of.

Near antonyms to "do" would be "fail" "wane" or "give up" which are basically the things I would be DOING if I were to smoke again.

It's also been 7 days 23 hours 6 minutes and 55 seconds as of clicking save changes since my last smoke.

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 31, 2016

shinmai

CHK Instruction

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Addiction is like a part of you, that has a will of it's own and will fight you if you try to get rid of it, because it has a desire to keep itself alive.

A thousand times this. It'll be loving with your mind, pumping endorphin and all sorts of other loving hormones into your brain when you're close to slipping and make you feel like poo poo when you're not.

For quitting smoking I also recommend talking to your MD. There are a lot of genuinely helpful things they can provide, that aren't totally poo poo unlike nicotine patches and gum.

I'm cautious to mention this at the risk of sounding like a douche, but others have mentioned it already, so: if you're a heavy smoker (pack-a-day+), you might consider vaping. I know, I know, but hear me out.
It's way less harmful to your lungs than smoking. It's not harmless by any means, but you'll be cutting out monoxide, and a ton of carcinogens.
Unlike with cigarettes, you can cut down on the nicotine very gradually, while still keeping your habit of going out and inhaling something, which will be a lot easier to kick when you don't have to fight nicotine withdrawals at the same time.

Matoi Ryuko posted:

This is a good thing to use to frame things in your mind, which is a huge part of kicking any addiction.
Take the idea that doing something is an active choice you make, and not doing something is the natural state, and just start banging that into your head until you believe it, and you'll find that you have a lot more willpower than you thought you had.

I'm five years sober, just got a tattoo on my hand to commemorate it. It's itching like crazy and I want to scratch it, but I'm a loving homo sapien, and refuse to be driven by my body's base urges. My mind functions on a higher level and I can make decisions that override the physical discomfort my body registers with me to get me to do things like scratch, smoke or drink.

Danzel Glovington posted:

It's also been 7 days 23 hours 6 minutes and 55 seconds as of clicking save changes since my last smoke.

Nice!

Danzel Glovington

shinmai posted:

something that made me feel so much better

<something an addict would say redacted>

I'll see what the Japanese doctors recommend on my next day off.

Danzel Glovington fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein cooler Typ

by FactsAreUseless
smoking is bad and gross

why do people start smoking nowadays?

didn't your parents tell you not to?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

• Locked thread