Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orgytron
Aug 11, 2007

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Im chinese with collissueum and 823 crowns, just reached gunpowder. What's my gunpowder age wonder and should i change race

Angkor Wat and yes, change your race. French appears to be the flavor of the month. I'm sticking with Roman at the moment mostly because the army size bonus never goes out of style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Im chinese with collissueum and 823 crowns, just reached gunpowder. What's my gunpowder age wonder and should i change race

We generally like Angkor Wat and Versaille. Put Angkor outside of your walls, and next to some defense troops buildings. It's particularly effective with high level generals (although they plan to nerf that I guess...). The average quality of gunpowder wonders is pretty high, and all of them have a pretty nice benefit. Versaille gives you a caltrop effect covering a small area surrounding Versaille, and gives all of your troops (defending and attacking) +10% hp. Angkor Wat heals nearby troops and gives you 5 random trade goods per day. Taj Mahal gives something like +3% loot stolen, and gives you a free merc per day. Temple of Tikal gives you extra trade good capacity, and refunds loot stolen by enemies. Temple is the only one I'd say definitely avoid.

Orgytron posted:

Angkor Wat and yes, change your race. French appears to be the flavor of the month. I'm sticking with Roman at the moment mostly because the army size bonus never goes out of style.

As we just discussed, French is the best right now, but ONLY if you are Enlightenment or beyond. I would stick with Chinese until then. You get something like 15% troop train time, and that becomes ridiculous with the Training Blessing, where it takes about 40 seconds to train 40 raiders.
Also, as a side bonus, you get +6 troop capacity from Alliance donations

Romans are also always really good due to that troop bonus. If you decide you want to be Roman, I would actually recommend Versaille because those two things kinda improve each other.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 7, 2015

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

"Hey, did you see my game against the Detroit Lions?"
I train a whole army of 41 motorcycle raiders in around 1 minute. Fucccccck a Rome!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm just starting to save up for the painful grind to enlightenment. I don't know if it's worth blowing my crowns to switch to france though. One the one hand it's not like I have other plans for them, but I know as soon as I get there, they'll be another patch nerfing France into the ground.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

In the short amount of time that I have been France, I have already made so many millions more in each resource that it is already worth it. In one training blessing I just made 4.5 million gold and started an industrial cannon.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Jaysus posted:

In the short amount of time that I have been France, I have already made so many millions more in each resource that it is already worth it. In one training blessing I just made 4.5 million gold and started an industrial cannon.

I hate you.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The problem is, even if I ground out the 3.2m tonight, I won't be enlightened age for like 10 days or however long it takes. Is it worth switching to France while still in gunpowder?

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

The problem is, even if I ground out the 3.2m tonight, I won't be enlightened age for like 10 days or however long it takes. Is it worth switching to France while still in gunpowder?

Not really. I would probably recommend syncing up your workers so that they are all available when enlightenment finishes, so that you can make the switch then, and then start your temple. It takes like 3-4 days. I would recommend having enough gold/food to start your temple, library, and armory at the same time, if you have 12 workers. If not, armory and temple. This is literally the only age where something is higher priority than either of those two things. However, at later ages, Library costs/upgrade times don't scale at the same rate as everything else, and you can have everything done in there ridiculously fast.

Also get your oil refinery asap. You're going to need it.

Don't upgrade from Enlightenment to Industrial until you've at least done all your troop upgrades, and definitely all your barracks. I would also recommend doing all your defensive buildings, but that will take ridiculously long, so, it's up to you.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
So the vault. Useless?

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
it gets up to 500/600k or something like it (mine is still only 400k), so if you're farming and start a new building, and have some left over, you can put it in a vault and no one can steal it.
Also, in Industrial, you start making 5% in 24 hours.

But yes, mostly useless.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

I was told after medieval the farms are fairly useless so i haven't upgraded them now im in gunpowder. Is it worth getting the research done that allows an extra farm and getting it up to the same level as the others though?

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Mine are only upgraded at all because of the fact that I didn't have loot, but had free builders.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Can you guys post some more recent photos of base designs? Thinking I need a rebuild

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Can you guys post some more recent photos of base designs? Thinking I need a rebuild

What age are you in?

E: https://forum.nexonm.com/forum/nexonm-games/dominations/general-discussion-aa/472243-design-spotlight-2-5-design-highlights

quote:

The Training Blessing is also receiving some balance tweaks. The cost will go up slightly, the bonus will go down slightly, and the duration will double. The biggest impact will be for those who are playing as the French; this combo was so powerful as to be considered an unintended exploit. The Training Blessing combined with the French nation power made troop training speeds too fast compared with to other nations. On the plus side, the Training Blessing will now apply to Factory troops, so speed up those Heavy Tanks and get them to the front line!
The Gathering Blessing is getting a slight cost increase. This was necessary because the benefit of the blessing in later ages scaled too high relative to the cost.
On the raiding front we are increasing the train time on raiders. This will not be the final change to raiding, but will probably have the biggest impact.

I might be done.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 24, 2015

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Gunpowder, currently rocking this mess

e: fixed picture link

Jon Von Anchovi fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Sep 25, 2015

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Back to full time CoC for me. gently caress that poo poo.

Orgytron
Aug 11, 2007

Jaysus posted:

Back to full time CoC for me. gently caress that poo poo.

Same.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

I don't understand what their goal with this game is. Every update nerfs something but doesn't buff anything. If they didn't want the economy to be almost wholly based around raiding, they should buff farms/caravans to make them worth something.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Cliff posted:

I don't understand what their goal with this game is. Every update nerfs something but doesn't buff anything. If they didn't want the economy to be almost wholly based around raiding, they should buff farms/caravans to make them worth something.

They want the entire economy to be based on spending $$

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Apparently. I was all excited for a game that was CoC by way of Age of Empires, but it's really just not fun anymore.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Yeah. I'm putting minimal effort into this game. I am going to make sure to finish my library upgrades, and I really want to do a couple more cannon towers (because max level cannon towers are insane), but other than that, I think I'm going to just chill with this game. Eventually, new updates might draw me back in, but, this game is way too much work for absolutely no payoff right now.

Library upgrades are going to cost more for EA and IA soon, so get those done.

Also, not worth switching to France anymore. Training blessing is still broken for them at the moment (broken good), but that will change in the next update, and then you will be sad like me for switching to France. Honestly though, I'm not sure what nations are worth it. Extra troops for Rome is kinda nice, extra ranged range + loot for British is good. But, those are about to be the best nations I guess, so they'll probably be nerfed next.

Supposedly China is going to get some improvements, and they've said they want to make the upgrade times for Greece better.

sg54
May 9, 2012
The games kinda fell flat for me too. It really had that rise of nations feel I enjoyed from...rise of nations but with no "end" game or coordination beyond giving each other troops it just seems like a chore to play now. I've been upgrading my farms and roads because I got nothing else better to do with my resources. The game still has an interesting idea, which will keep me around but not actively.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
https://forum.nexonm.com/forum/nexonm-games/dominations/announcements-ab/475745-coming-soon-update-notes-for-2-5-x-ios-and-android

quote:

Coming Soon: Update Notes for 2.5.x (iOS and Android)
10-06-2015, 11:03 AM
The v2.5.x update of DomiNations is coming soon!

Industrial Upgrades!
Introducing a new Industrial Age General: MacArthur!
Biplane is now called Biplane Mk1 and has two additional upgrades
Zeppelin is now called Zeppelin Mk1 and has two additional upgrades
Heavy Tank is now called Heavy Tank Mk1 and has an additional upgrade
Additional Building Upgrades
Bunker, Air Defense, Library, and Caltrops
New Tier of Library Techs: Internationalism, Negotiations, Air Defense, and Aviation!
Timed Goal Improvements!
Goal difficulty now scales with your Age.
Goal durations have been increased to 1/2/3 days (up from .5/1/1.5 days)
Note: Currently existing time goals will get the new duration upon updating the game, but will still have the old amounts. New timed goals after the update will have the new amounts as well.
More Compatibility Support!
iOS 9 support
Balance Changes (for more details, check out Lead Designer John Hawkins’ post here: http://bit.ly/1L4doxj)
Heavy Legion damage is now 75 (was 113)
Animal blessing duration increased from 5 minutes to 10 minutes
Animal blessing costs 3 metal and 2 diamonds (up from 3 metal and 1 diamond)
Gathering blessing costs 3 cider and 3 fur (up from 2 cider and 2 fur)
Training blessing rebalanced
Factory troops now benefit from the Training blessing
Duration increased from 20 minutes to 40 minutes
Costs 6 cider and 2 diamonds (up from 6 cider and 1 diamond)
Training time bonus decreased from 70% to 60%
Research costs for level 5 and 6 Library technologies rebalanced
Banking, Citadels, and Standing Army now costs 800k/1.6m/2.4m food or gold (up from 600k/1.2m/1.8m)
Leadership now costs 12k/24k/36k oil (up from 9k/18k/27k)
Drilling and Savings now cost 1m/2m/3m food or gold (up from 700k/1.4m/2.1m)
Nationalism and Heavy Weaponry now cost 15k/30k/45k oil (up from 10.5k/21k/31.5k)
Napoleon's attack speed increased to 1 for levels 16-20 (was 0.8)
Cavalry Raider training time increased from 85 seconds to 150 seconds for all levels
Bug Fixes and Improvements
Vault interest is now calculated correctly
Vault resources now appear in the same order as the HUD
Fixed a bug causing food costs to incorrectly appear red
UI fixes to prevent windows from overlapping
Improved troop tray scrolling when there are many troops in the tray
Library research chapter descriptions display correctly
Betrayal damage reduction amount is now displayed correctly
Defending Generals now appear correctly on the Castle before being attacked
Fixed a bug that caused Generals to appear active on the Castle but not appear in the troop tray.
Greek nation power provides correct refund when building roads
Airstrip level 2 upgrade screen now shows the Zeppelin being unlocked
Industrial Age Town Center upgrade no longer shows a house in the new buildings list if the Starter Pack was already purchased
Buying the Starter Pack no longer increases the price of houses that haven’t been constructed yet
Resources stolen by enemy troops under the effect of Betrayal now correctly transfer to the attacking player
Fixed a bug where health bars weren’t appearing above air troops when damaged
Chat window now closes properly when opening the League window
Revolution tutorial starts after the Medieval Town Center upgrade has finished
Increased security implemented for multiplayer battles
Improved pathfinding for wall breakers
Fixed a bug causing crashes when players exit the game from the map edit screen
Fixed a bug causing crashes when tapping on info buttons
Fixed a bug causing crashes when selecting a nation
Fixed localization issues
Text polish on Army Retrain window
Fixed a bug causing problems when selecting Chinese nation in Iron Age
Prevented crash that could occur when replacing Generals
Switching languages now affects inbox messages correctly
Players switching from Korean Nation are refunded for extra tactics in training
Fixed an issue with the Revolution tutorial not triggering
Joining an Alliance and using Alliance chat now function faster
Fixed a bug causing Facebook friends to not appear in the Friends tab
Gates now rotate correctly when placed next to existing walls
Fixed a bug causing matchmaking to hang indefinitely
Improved unit AI
Profanity list updated
Improved low memory issues during download

Yup. Still fixing all the wrong things.

Also, France isn't getting as hard hit as before. They're changing TB from 70% (77% w/library) to 60%(66%), plus the 20% from French, which is a debuff from 97% to 86%. 86% is STILL better than what any other nations had pre-nerf. Also, TB (and probably french training buff) now applies to Factories as well, which is a buff IF you have Heavy Tanks.

However, Raiders will now take 150s. So, we are going from 3s train time per raider to 21 seconds. This puts French raider training slightly longer than non-french raider training pre-nerf (85s * .23 = 19.6s). With Enlightenment Barracks, you're looking at 14 minutes for a full train though.

If you aren't French, you are now looking at 150s * .34 = 51s, so, you're screwed. With 3 Enlightenment Barracks, using the TB, you are now looking at 34 minutes to train raiders. Without the TB, you are looking at 100 minutes, or 1 hour, 40 minutes.

Seriously, gently caress this game.

E: I'm dumb...I forgot to divide by 3 (because 3 Barracks), so that's actually ~11 minutes for non-french raider with TB, 33 minutes without. French get to build in 5 minutes.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 11, 2015

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Let's just loving nerf everything.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Have they ever buffed anything in this game ever? I look forward to the day when the value for ever variable is 1.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

Have they ever buffed anything in this game ever? I look forward to the day when the value for ever variable is 1.

I think...once...maybe...
nevermind.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Soooo. I should have switched to French in the half price window

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Soooo. I should have switched to French in the half price window

Probably.

I need to update the OP, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

E: For the (admittedly very few) people who still read this thread, I have some advice for farming/leveling/etc. French is still probably the best, but they're not in the amazeballs category they were. The extra HP on their HC and the training improvement are just so huge. Moving forward, the only way to farm really is with French Training + French TB from Enlightenment onward.

So, leveling strategy...you're still best off focusing on offense before defense. Up through Medieval, I would highly recommend leveling everything (except your generals -- just do what you have time/resources for) before moving to next age. However, in the Gunpowder Age, I would recommend moving through to EA fairly quickly for the Training Blessing. I would still recommend getting all of your troops upgraded, build any new defensive buildings, get your cannons and at least one stable/garrison leveled, but try to move on fairly soon.

Once you hit EA, I would recommend leveling everything, and moving upwards in your medal range. It is only going to get harder to get to Gold/Kingdom once you hit IA, so do it in EA. After this next update, it won't be worth farming with Raider armies (or, not as worth it), so you're better off building a real army comp. Right now, I'm running a combination of cannons, healers, HC, and ranged infantry, and it's working really well. I'm frequently getting all defenses, and only needing to retrain some of my army (usually the HC and some riflemen). It takes some time to figure out how to attack like this, so don't give up on your first try. Once you hit gold 1-2, medal farming is going to suck because it's hard to get more than 1, but gold/ham/oil farming is fantastic. You see a lot of 200-300k bases, with oil going as high as 4-6k. While you won't ALWAYS clear all defenses, you can pretty much always take all the resources, netting you bonuses.

In gold 1 right now, I'm getting 15k each bonus, which is pretty marginal, but I've heard that at 2000 that goes way up. Will post again when I get there...I'm at like 1820, and it is slow as gently caress to climb. I get excited when I win 5 medals....but like I said, farming is super good right now.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 13, 2015

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Thoughts on things.

French are still really good. We've confirmed that with the new update, you will have 86% faster troops, while everyone else has 66% faster troops with the training blessing going. For a 15 minute unit, this is the difference between 5 minutes and 2 minutes, so, pretty good.

Raiders suck to train now. Probably not worth using anymore. Less time to train than a full army with Artillery and Healers and everything, but the fact they take that long to train makes them less worth it. No more spamming attacks every minute.

The grind through Gold 2 and 1 up to Kingdom sucks, but they might have balanced medals better. While the gold/food boost isn't that great yet, I'm at 40k in Kingdom 3, and I'm finding a lot of 200k/200k/2k bases that I can fully wipe. Add in the 40k/40k/100? and it's a pretty good take. Also, people are so concerned about medals here that they WILL snipe you for 1 medal if you leave your base out. As long as my base is outside of my thing, I get a full wipe about 1 every 4 attacks, so for the most part, I can keep a pretty good stockpile of food/gold around.

I'm once again tempted by Hanging Gardens. Really hard to farm without the training blessing, and to do that, you need wine. Trees are the best way to get wine, and getting them twice as often is pretty sweet. I suppose you also get them once a day from league bonuses about half the time (that's one TB per day at Kingdom...), you get some from raiding, and I get on average one per day from Angkor Wat. I think I still get about 90% from trees, which have something like a 4 hour cooldown in IA. I keep at least one worker around to make walls anytime, so I usually have two workers free all the time anyways, often 3 or 4. Up through classical, it's pretty handy. In Medieval and GP, it's pretty useless. You might use it every other day, and you won't really get anything except extra mercs out of it. In Enlightenment, it goes up to as good as Acropolis. For now, I'm keeping my Acropolis, I think we figured out that the +15% defender HP bonus goes to ALL defenders, while the speed up time only goes to garrisons/stables in range. I'm not 100% sure on this, and this is really the key for whether I think Acropolis is worth it at this age. I'm getting to the point where I have 3 Defensive wonders, and it's really hard to plan my base around them.

Labratio
Apr 22, 2003

Super
Hero
In
Training
Seems like the Goon Alliances have gone inactive at just the wrong time; they've just introduced World Wars! They're pretty much just like Clash of Clans wars, although each combatant is given a space on a world map, which effects nothing but looks cool and gives you an excuse to type in a German accent for a couple days (like you weren't doing that already.) I started a clan that I intended to use to play with coworkers, but only one guy was still playing and cared to join, so I'm opening it up to Goons. Come! Make World War with the Lugnut Brigade! I promise I'll stay active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:rip:

• Locked thread