Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Eva is powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
The action never got nearly as cool as the CAVE shooter sequence from episode 5(?) of Gunbuster but I'm happy trading action for character detail though. That part of Gun was really cool though. i think Die attempted to do more than Gun (which I mostly saw as a dumb but really well done action show with a cool gimmick) but didn't always stick the landing. Gun was less ambitious with its characters and concepts but hit it out of the park. I think Gun is a stronger product overall as an unpretentious sic fi action show but if I had to choose one to watch through again it would probably be Die. (largely for Grooovin magic five more times though)
Episode 3 nagged me because the ending didn't really address Lavender Girl's problems with being a buster pilot. She could make some children who wanted to see snow happy because her suit happened to have a freeze ray but she can still only use the freeze ray to kill things; she can't heal the sick or do any of the other things she was talking about. It did a good job of showing her switch motivations from 'beat Lal'C on the leader boards' to 'protect people' but I wasn't totally happy with it.
The action in the last episode was so over the top that it was hard to tell what was going on and it hurt the emotion impact of it a lot. The bug died and then the black hole was splitting open and then it's covered in red ceramic and all I got was "…Nono's gone, maybe?" Gun's climactic sequence was way better.
I loved the central relationship of the show but I don't have anything to say about it really. It was good. Like everyone else I loved how the treated the Gunbuster ending.

This

Owns

I kind of want that Nono chibi from the OP as an av.
I have an idea.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
I couldn't believe why they would suicide ram the planet Earth instead of the remaining 2 other more massive planets in our system.
That and why it would take 6mths+ for the space monster to warp from the outer edge of the solar system. Or was that a callback to Gunbuster when they took 6 months in Ep5 to deliver the Exelion blackhole bomb relative to earth. Then how did Lal'C get back before it?

Great sequel to Gunbuster otherwise.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I always figured the space monster just took a six month break to spawn all the little space monsters they have to fight. Using Earth was just because it was the most dramatic thing though.
The real question is how pulling Earth out of orbit didn't completely wipe all life from it and render it permanently uninhabitable.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Echoing appreciation at Srice. Watching Diebuster in parallel with insightful posts was far better than the first time through.

Sydnesider posted:

I couldn't believe why they would suicide ram the planet Earth instead of the remaining 2 other more massive planets in our system...
The reasonable consequences of that final battle of planet vs black hole proportions... is something my brain consciously doesn't process since no good can come from it. I want to like Diebuster and am willing to accept some cognitive dissonance to further that goal.

Watching Gunbuster added to the experience... but I'll admit I'm not a Gunbuster guy. The time dilation for the characters was definitely interesting (although I had to pause and walk away from the computer when Onee-sama froze up because of "KO-CHI!"). That dramatic moment hit so far off mark for me it was almost hilarious... except it was infuriating instead. I can respect Gun as an early and influential work, the ending was great and I'm not knockin' any who hold it in high regard. I'll just say it didn't lineup all that well with me.

I'm somewhat surprised, but I think my favorite episode of Diebuster was 3. Maybe because I already knew about the badass reveal of 4, and maybe I had a higher sensitivity to soak up the normal-Nono charm before she became Super-Nono. Also I just liked the shots inside the city and the smaller scale character focus.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The easy answer is that the earth was what is was trying to destroy and would therefore go after, so it was basically being used as trojan horse shaped battering ram. The real answer is that its an incredibly dramatic and drastic action that highlights the lengths that lal'c is willing to go to take on her duties in the absence of nono, also sort of underscoring the calming influence nono had on lal'c.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The super real answer is that they wanted to show the structure that creates the orbiting light you see around the earth in the end of gunbuster, so they came up with something incredible.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
If the Earth gets smashed into a giant space monster Lal and Nono can't live their normal happy life on it so it's a lot more significant when Nono shows up to stop it than if it was any other planet.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

They didn't get to live a normal happy life anyway

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I always figured the space monster just took a six month break to spawn all the little space monsters they have to fight. Using Earth was just because it was the most dramatic thing though.
The real question is how pulling Earth out of orbit didn't completely wipe all life from it and render it permanently uninhabitable.

I guess they moved it back, since it was in the right place for the old Busters' return at the end.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
Thanks to this Simulwatch I know where this comes from now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlv50sS_O3o

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The messed up part is Dick was really Nono all along.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

That means I'm Lal'c.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Sydnesider posted:

Thanks to this Simulwatch I know where this comes from now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlv50sS_O3o

Going by the title, I thought this would be the end of the original Gunbuster but with the "WELCOME HOMƎ" lights replaced with Dickbutt - a truly emotional crescendo.

Still, props to .jpg, Internet artiste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
I'm late to the party but this was just as good now as when it came out. Thanks to all you internet strangers for typing interesting and funny stuff, it helped me notice some things I hadn't paid attention to before.

• Locked thread