Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
The Demon King's Daughter Is Too Kind just ended. I liked it!

If you want a quick read about raising an adorable child with some fun gags, it's a good choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm a bit annoyed with one of the series I read.

The MC has tremendous dad energy. He's an orphan and raised other orphaned kids. He's big, dumb, and lovable as gently caress (And an unimaginably strong badass). He picked up orphaned twins and cares for them as his own. He even supports his 'son' (quotations because it's actually an orphan he raised) when they turn out to be Trans and start wearing dresses and referring to themselves with feminine pronouns. Zero judgement, just acceptance and being totally cool about it. It's endearing and kind and heartwarming.

So why the gently caress did the author just HAVE to give him a 15-year-old wife. Goddamnit if not for that one detail the series would be perfect.

https://mangadex.org/title/fdb14889-59ef-48dd-a883-7558f04c2060/ryoumin-0-nin-start-no-henkyou-ryoushusama

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
oof that one
I bailed on it very quickly

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
It probably doesn't help much, but the Ryoumin 0-nin MC is as weirded out about that as you are.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Isn't that the one that had the main character take a deliberate stance that you shouldn't buy slaves because it encourages slavers, and then he immediately buys orphan twin slaves from a frog guy

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Nihilarian posted:

Isn't that the one that had the main character take a deliberate stance that you shouldn't buy slaves because it encourages slavers, and then he immediately buys orphan twin slaves from a frog guy

Not sure if they were actually slaves or not in that case, Frog Guy is... I'm not sure, overall though its fairly wholesome from what I have read of it.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Nihilarian posted:

Yes and no. He does buy the twins from a merchant, but they go out of their way to explain that it's not slavery because of a big convoluted explanation involving the twins parents dying and begging the merchant to find them a new family. The money was just because of the expenses the merchant accrued taking care of them until he could find them a new family . It's convoluted as hell and there's a million better ways they could have introduced the twins but whatever, it ends up with him being a super wholesome dad to them.

Basically the author was trying to make the Frog more into a one-time mobile orphanage to try and get all of the characters together, but it ends up feeling really awkward and contrived. The story moves past it pretty quickly though.

khy fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Nov 17, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the technically not slavery if you squint premise isn't really important. it's what dias did afterward, which is adopt the children. of course dias wouldn't really care about the exact details when there were children in distress.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
So I was poking around on J-Novel Club and noticed they've licensed the LN of S-Rank Daughter:
https://j-novel.club/series/my-daughter-left-the-nest-and-returned-an-s-rank-adventurer

hope they also do the manga at some point

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

khy posted:

Yes and no. He does buy the twins from a merchant, but they go out of their way to explain that it's not slavery because of a big convoluted explanation involving the twins parents dying and begging the merchant to find them a new family. The money was just because of the expenses the merchant accrued taking care of them until he could find them a new family . It's convoluted as hell and there's a million better ways they could have introduced the twins but whatever, it ends up with him being a super wholesome dad to them.

Basically the author was trying to make the Frog more into a one-time mobile orphanage to try and get all of the characters together, but it ends up feeling really awkward and contrived. The story moves past it pretty quickly though.

*lowers shotgun and unloads it without any malicious intent*

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

ElMaligno posted:

*lowers shotgun and unloads it without any malicious intent*

Also the main characters best friend and buddy meets up with a very nice dogperson lady and they get married. It is very cute and wholesome. Also there are dogpeople that are literally just talking dogs, which is hilarious as heck.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

AtomikKrab posted:

Also the main characters best friend and buddy meets up with a very nice dogperson lady and they get married. It is very cute and wholesome. Also there are dogpeople that are literally just talking dogs, which is hilarious as heck.

Oh i know what manga it is and I I enjoy it, the MC has massive himbo energy and is super likeable. Other than the rube-golberg slavery thing also, it is later revealed one of his adoptive children is trans and he keeps misgendering/deadnaming her.

Its still a recomended read, but jesus

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ElMaligno posted:

Oh i know what manga it is and I I enjoy it, the MC has massive himbo energy and is super likeable. Other than the rube-golberg slavery thing also, it is later revealed one of his adoptive children is trans and he keeps misgendering/deadnaming her.

Its still a recomended read, but jesus
that doesn't sound very supportive

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

He is a well-meaning dude but also massive idiot, but the MC Girl also says she understands the Trans lady feelings because they are both women, which is wholesome as gently caress at least

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Nihilarian posted:

that doesn't sound very supportive

He's supportive. He's just also dumb as a brick.

He does get better about it, it just takes him a while. (I don't know if he slips up after this instance, it's the most recent time they interact in the manga)

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I was really happy when i saw the second panel.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
fyi, the first volume of this will be out this month
https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/1466118323956035592

We talked about it a bit way back in the thread, before it got licensed. It was pretty neat!

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
The one chapter that got scanlated was good.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
really looking forward to this :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6HJmqz5fD8

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/kaitenbooks/status/1487161819139489793?s=20&t=LDblRO6QcFh8welbrM0HUw

https://www.kaitenbooks.com/yakuza-babysitter-3

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Saw a series update about a young hitgirl and her mark-turned-adoptive-father who turns out to be immortal. to even his own surprise. He repays her with a home and family :3:

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013
So Peerless Dad is ending or what? Feels like an epilogue slowly dragging it's feet after a somewhat unimpressive finale. Certainly doesn't help that translation was really really bad for a while.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It ended over a month ago.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ugusername posted:

So Peerless Dad is ending or what? Feels like an epilogue slowly dragging it's feet after a somewhat unimpressive finale. Certainly doesn't help that translation was really really bad for a while.

I stuck with Tapas' official TL after a while because the constant shuffle of translators made it hard to follow anything. Didn't help that the current scanlation from Luminous are clearly a lightly edited MTL. That being said, the story probably should have ended during the war with the Rogue's Guild as the pacing got amped as the story tackled later story beats. I don't know if in the book events like the Wise Dragon waking up were covered but even if it wasn't, skipping over that moment between him and Noh is a waste given their relationship over the years.

As for the later parts of the story It was good to see Noh punch Lee in his smug face and then run off laughing. Lee is the kind of character I think is hard to balance in a story but mostly done correctly. He really was in charge of everything from start to finish and he only really got tripped up by things that would put the entire region in turmoil as no single organization save maybe the Demonic Church had the strength to oppose him. He never got truly annoying in that capacity and got put in a box towards the end so at least he won't be as big a problem down the line.

I didn't get to see any revenge taken against the Elder Tang siblings for their betrayal of Akgoon besides their banishment which is still very frustrating. But if there's any consolation at least Noh finished up his grudge with the leader of the Martial Alliance by planting him in the ground.

Glad to see the Gajang family is continuing to expand and my man is basically running around with God-mode activated. I'd read a spin-off purely for the Daughter because she got good focus towards the end and it was clear she's always been on a different level even compared to her brothers.

Great series, I can put it up there with Gosu as a solid martial arts series I will definitely be recommending to others over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I want Daughter Unrivaled to be real so bad