Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Do you work from home? Do you work in a place where you put your workspace together?

I recently got laid off started working from home this year as a designer/animator. I started out on just my laptop, sitting anywhere I could find some space. But after awhile, it felt too much like working during vacation and I spent less time working, and more time finding reasons to not work, like posting threads about home offices.

I need a formal office, with a good desk and chair, in our palace; some place to shut the door and tell everybody (wife, kids, dog, the servants, butlers and groundskeepers) to leave me the gently caress alone.

Chairs:
I've been reading up on ergonomic/comfortable furniture and I understand that the Aeron chair by Herman Miller is fantastic and just under $1000.

A THOUSAND DOLLARS.

Most reviews I've read say that it's worth firing a couple of butlers to get that chair. I'll work on that..

What about desks?
Does anyone use the adjustable desks, that go from seated to standing height? I think that would be beneficial as well, and I could get one of our handymen to build one, but before they go to all that work, can anyone recommend a decent one?

Our salad chef Isabella posed for this photo.

Or, are you one of those bohemians who insist that a metal folding chair and a card table are all you need?

For reference, I'm currently sitting at my great-grandfathers rolltop desk which was built for very skinny right-handed people, sitting in an office chair I nicked from work almost 15 years ago. My logic there is that, an expensive office chair, even a 15-year-old one, is better than a dining room chair.

What about you? Tell me where you put your fat rear end to make fat stacks of cash.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I've had severe tendonitis of both wrists before, and I take ergonomics very seriously around the house now given the amount of typing I do.

Desk: This isn't much to write home about. It's a pine IKEA desk with decent drawers and lots of surface space. Straight edges since I hate curvy desks or corner units. $200ish. Standing desks are good, but I've found it more beneficial to set a timer and make myself go take a walk instead. I chose this desk specifically because it was the perfect height for me when assembled, requiring little to no ergo adjustments.

Chair: This is the most expensive item in my office. The Steelcase Leap is a super-comfortable ergonomic chair that runs in the vicinity of $550-800 depending on model / add-ons. Phenomenal chair, and easily the second-best furniture purchase I've made in my life (behind getting a good, firm mattress). Since I bought it new from the manufacturer, the warranty basically has me covered for eternity. (It's like 10-15 years or something?)

Keyboard and Mouse: Again, my stuff is heavy on the typing, so this stuff really matters to me. I use a Microsoft Natural 4000 Ergonomic keyboard ($40) and a Logitech M570 ball mouse ($30?) for routine work. For fun time or for more precise work in Photoshop, etc, I also have a Razer Deathadder mouse from back before I went ergo-crazy.

In addition to these, I have two whiteboards on one wall for to-dos, an entire wall covered in flipchart paper so that I can scribble ideas as I come up with them, a cork board for reference materials / etc etc, and a twin bed and lamp so that I can pretend it's really a guestroom and not my secret clubhouse or something.

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Illegal Hen
My desk is literally a door propped up on two bits of wood and it's the best desk I've ever had.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
My Creative Lair is a typewriter and folding card table in Annie Wilkes's living room

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Who uses desks? I hold my laptop with one hand and design with the other, while riding my longboard to Starbucks.

... but seriously.

I took the cheapo route on the Aeron chair, opting for a (used) discontinued lookalike from Staples that had high ratings (The Vayder). I couldn't find any reason why it was discontinued, but I like to think it's because they ripped off the $1000 design of Aeron. I could be wrong.

It's way more comfortable, but I still can't get it to sit up completely straight. I always end up slouched back a little bit.

Sundae posted:

Chair: The Steelcase Leap is a super-comfortable ergonomic chair that runs in the vicinity of $550-800 depending on model / add-ons.

Yes - the guy I bought it from said that Staples rolled this one out when they discontinued the Vayder. So, sure. Maybe that's the reason.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project2501
Dec 29, 2012

Contains no milk
I have one of the IKEA adjustable desk frames that I modified to have a larger surface area. Besides being a little loud when it's being adjusted it's been nice, and I cant argue with the $350 price tag for the frame / motor.

• Locked thread