Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moog
Sep 14, 2013
I'm unemployed and nearly broke and without a college degree. The job market in my tiny town (of less than 10k population) is dead and everything available is minimum wage. I have a housemate who makes 13.50$ an hour full time on a flexible schedule through LeapForce working as a contractor for google, more or less churning through search results and rating the quality of the results.

For unimportant reasons I am trying to avoid having a traditional job. I have checked out a few places (mechanical turk, clickworker, UHRS) and found that they pay nowhere near even minimum wage. I can't work for the same place my roomate does because they only allow one worker per IP. I've poked around at other companies that do similar things but have gotten no positive results.

Does anyone else out there make a living from online work? Are there things I should be mindful about in my resume? Places to look? Assorted insults?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Make something and sell it on Etsy.

Find something you can import in quantity from the 3rd world and sell individually on ebay/Amazon.

If your roomie legitimately makes $13.50/hr full time surfing the web, he is the first person I've ever heard of who has no skills or education and works from home making a decent living surfing the web.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Legitimate Online Moneymaking Round 3
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476455

Also, could you find a way of getting a 2nd IP address? Maybe if you had both DSL and cable internet access.

Moog
Sep 14, 2013

photomikey posted:

Make something and sell it on Etsy.

Find something you can import in quantity from the 3rd world and sell individually on ebay/Amazon.

If your roomie legitimately makes $13.50/hr full time surfing the web, he is the first person I've ever heard of who has no skills or education and works from home making a decent living surfing the web.

I've seen her bank account, and I know she doesn't go out so it's legit. It's more or less independent contracting and she has only a HS degree and a few years experience.

Orange Sunshine posted:

Legitimate Online Moneymaking Round 3
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3476455

Also, could you find a way of getting a 2nd IP address? Maybe if you had both DSL and cable internet access.

I have considered it but I am afraid of it causing an issue and costing her the job. I should have been able to get in with lionbridge which is another company that does that stuff but they said that someone else had used my IP and when I explained, they said "alright" through a form letter, but later sent another one of rejection because of the same IP address for someone who doesn't even live or work here.

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006
She's a camgirl.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Moog posted:

I'm unemployed and nearly broke and without a college degree. The job market in my tiny town (of less than 10k population) is dead and everything available is minimum wage. I have a housemate who makes 13.50$ an hour full time on a flexible schedule through LeapForce working as a contractor for google, more or less churning through search results and rating the quality of the results.

For unimportant reasons I am trying to avoid having a traditional job. I have checked out a few places (mechanical turk, clickworker, UHRS) and found that they pay nowhere near even minimum wage. I can't work for the same place my roomate does because they only allow one worker per IP. I've poked around at other companies that do similar things but have gotten no positive results.

Does anyone else out there make a living from online work? Are there things I should be mindful about in my resume? Places to look? Assorted insults?

What are your interests, and what kind of things are you good at? Also, what kind of bandwidth do you have at your house?

How good are you at typing, and how is your hearing? I remember reading a thread in these forums that providing closed captions pays decent, but it's usually on a per episode basis, so you might get paid $20 to type up the closed captions for a 22 minute TV episode. If you're a decent typist that's $40 an hour, if you're a lovely typist, then you're back below minimum wage.

Are you decent with Photoshop? I had a roommate that paid her way through college designing DVD and CD covers for local bands, with the occasional job from the local ad agency that hired her to make movie posters. She didn't get a say in the design of the movie posters, they were usually of the three floating heads with mismatched names, but they paid the rent.

Are you halfway competent with computers? You might be able to swing a tech support job if you can set up a decent VOIP at your house.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Check out FlexJobs.com, I got them from one of the goon online employment threads. You do pay per month but it aggregates a whole lot of telecommuting jobs, I've easily gotten 10+ recommendations that fit my qualifications per week after the ski resort here laid a lot of us off in March. There are also other legitimate job websites that are probably in the goon thread posted earlier.

That being said, the competition for those jobs seems to be fairly fierce. For the good jobs, there is competition, and even with a degree from a pretty good school I've sent out probably 200 applications and emails and gotten rejections from maybe 20, interest from 1 that was a legitimate opportunity, and absolutely nothing from the rest. There is no easy "get online employment immediately" that I've found yet. You might be better off taking one of the minimum-wage jobs available while you look to bring SOME money in.

If you don't want to pay the per-month, which I recently decided to stop as I just wasn't getting enough good responses to my applications, you could also pay for 1 month (they had a free week thing going at one point) and look around at companies using it. Then go to their websites, as you usually have to do anyhow. What I've found out is that just about every big company has opportunities to telecommute if you look right, but there are a lot of people also looking.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.
Have you tried applying at Lionbridge? They're pretty much exactly the same as Leapforce, except they're a contractor for Bing. I made a decent amount of cash on the side working about 10-20 hours a week. They paid around $13-13.50/hr when I worked there. I've also seen some openings on their site that pay a bit more for a slightly different type of task (something to do with mobile). I also heard Appen is a good company.

If you have any skills like writing or art, freelancing is a pretty okay way to make extra money. You can post a profile on a site like Upwork and see if you can find something there. It's definitely not a stable way to make money though.

Apple also has work at home tech support positions that pay about $15/hr. As far as I know you only need a high school diploma. There are other work at home tech support companies, but Apple is probably the highest-paying I've heard about.

Sk8ers4Christ fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 4, 2015

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Read the legitimate online moneymaking thread. Also buy that five hour work week book and read it. Then realize you're probably about four years too late to make any real/easy money online.

Any reason you can't move? It's totally different looking for work in a real city. If your wear your pants above your rear end and don't seem like you're going to steal you're ahead of 65% of the workforce for entry level jobs.

You're also probably eligible for all kinds of grants for school given your income, likely independent status from your parents, and the fact that you don't already have a degree. Some of these you will probably get for no reason when you fill out the FAFSA form that everyone fills out when they go to school.

raton fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 8, 2015

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Sheep-Goats posted:

You're also probably eligible for all kinds of grants for school given your income, likely independent status from your parents, and the fact that you don't already have a degree. Some of these you will probably get for no reason when you fill out the FAFSA form that everyone fills out when they go to school.

This is a bad loving idea. Tuition for an in-state public school is hovering around $17,000 per year without room and board. Assuming another $1000/mo for rent, food, entertainment and transportation you are looking at nearly $30,000 per year to go to college. Unsub federal loans are at 6.8% interest. Even with a Pell grant this is going to be completely beyond your means, OP. Unless you are going for a hard CS degree like programming or a BS in engineering you are loving yourself over -- hard. Assuming you take 4 years to graduate and repay your loans over 10 years you are looking at $1400/mo every month for 10 years to repay your student loans. According to the DoE you will need an annual salary of ~$165,000 upon graduation to service your debt.

Don't go to college.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Mourne posted:

This is a bad loving idea. Tuition for an in-state public school is hovering around $17,000 per year without room and board. Assuming another $1000/mo for rent, food, entertainment and transportation you are looking at nearly $30,000 per year to go to college. Unsub federal loans are at 6.8% interest. Even with a Pell grant this is going to be completely beyond your means, OP. Unless you are going for a hard CS degree like programming or a BS in engineering you are loving yourself over -- hard. Assuming you take 4 years to graduate and repay your loans over 10 years you are looking at $1400/mo every month for 10 years to repay your student loans. According to the DoE you will need an annual salary of ~$165,000 upon graduation to service your debt.

Don't go to college.

This is nonsense, you don't have to repay grants. I know plenty of people who never paid a single cent of tuition because their familial income was low enough to qualify for a complete tuition waiver. There's almost always additional financial aid available beyond the Pell Grant unless you're attending a CC.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mourne posted:

Don't go to college.

Don't go to graduate school.

College is another thing. Do your first 2 years at (public) community college, unless you're looking to do a very specific degree the first 2 years of college are all the same highschool 2.0 bullshit (but do pay attention to what you need to transfer and in what ways), and community college is super cheap. Depending on the system, graduating public community college is automatic or very nearly so entry into the state 4 year schools and your credits should transfer pretty generously, and by this point you probably qualify for some money.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mourne posted:

Don't go to college.

why are you counting rent and food in college tuition, it's not like if you're not going to college you don't have to loving eat

If you'd gone to college maybe you'd have the math powers to figure out that a $165k/yr income leaves you with nearly a hundred thousand loving dollars after paying off your entire bachelors degree in your first year, even without any form of financial assistance beyond loans, and you're set forever after. You will not make $165k/yr upon graduation unless your daddy owns a bank, so it can still be a financial burden that majorly isn't worth the time and money if you don't know what you want to get out of it, but if you find yourself unemployable without a degree it's time to start looking into getting some qualifications that recommend you over anyone but the guy who dropped out of high school to do crack fulltime. That could be college, it could be trade school, it could be some certification courses that take a couple months and bam you've got a resume that says you're got the rudiments of an EMT Basic/MCSE/welder/horse fluffer and probably aren't some complete nobody who's going to gently caress everything up on purpose then disappear forever

OP even really crappy jobs (really, especially really crappy jobs) see a lot of applicants and a lot of competition, and the handful of no-poo poo decently paying 100% telework positions out there that let you get paid without having to sober up or put pants on even moreso, especially when you factor in that if it's a job anyone can do from anywhere you're competing with Pakistanis willing to work for a buck a month. It's possible to get headhunted for some kind of data-entry scutwork (or get paid a couple bucks for clicking ads) but your odds of securing something steady and the pay you can expect from it will go up exponentially the more relevant background you can claim to stand out from the probably thousand-plus other applicants, and the bar is pretty low. I've done 100% telework for (mostly nonconsecutive) years, and gotten grownup pay from it (I think I started around $25/hr, part-time); but I've also got a long resume in a field where physical presence isn't really necessary, and know most of my clients (and their way of doing things) from past experience, and am basically better than anyone else in the world at the extremely narrowly defined thing I do for them. That's more a function of there being a lot of very tiny little technical niches that only last a few years that it's easy to become the best in than being a rocket surgeon, but does involve some hustle upfront and you can't sit around and wait for people to care about you specifically over the 17 million other unemployed people in the US who'd mostly like free money for browsing the Internet from their bedroom too.

Pick something you don't need to be physically present for that's easy to pick up but requires some kind of skill beyond what you get just by having a pulse in a developed-ish nation (data entry, software/web development, design if you want to try Hard Mode), look up what basic certifications and quals you can get for it, and troll Craigslist for relevant classifieds. Once you've got anything to recommend yourself you can post up a resume on linkedin or monster or dice and people will find you with offers for lovely jobs for shutins.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 12, 2015

Mathematics
Jun 22, 2011

Mourne posted:

Don't go to college.

The gently caress?

My perfectly decent school is about 12k per year. Why the poo poo should you need $1000 for rent and food? Live with roommates. My monthly cost is $500 and I have a dog. And I'm not overly frugal.

You're also allowed to have a job in college. You don't have to sit there living off loans entirely.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on

Mourne posted:

According to the DoE you will need an annual salary of ~$165,000 upon graduation to service your debt.
[citation needed]

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Mourne posted:

Don't go to college.

Philosophy major spotted.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014

photomikey posted:

I made 13.75 an hour reviewing stories from my Facebook feed through Appen. Yeah, these jobs really exist (And it's really boring).

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
This site: http://www.englishfirst.com offered me, with a master's and relevant graduate certificate, $9/hour to teach English online. The only thing that matters is your enthusiasm, apparently. Other than that, this is Wal-Mart of teaching online. But it's legit and pays on time, afaik.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

kedo posted:

Philosophy major spotted.

I got a fucken English/Art BA, and while it was probably the biggest mistake I ever made it wasn't exactly life-ruining and within like a couple years I'd spun a side gig making webpages for old ladies who owned bed and breakfasts into a real fulltime job that I wouldn't likely have been considered for with no post-highschool degree. My college loans come out to like $300/mo and that's three hours of work from my best-paying client seven years on

Better by far to have a really clear plan for what you're gonna get for the investment but you can still get your money's worth off a useless major if you've got half a brain. Unless you were filling that four years with skilled labor or volunteering somewhere sexy there's not a lot you can do with an absence of post-secondary education, especially when it comes to talking people into paying you to stay home and jerk off all day

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 14, 2015

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Mourne posted:

Don't go to college.

The last place I went to school was NYC where I paid about 7k a year to go to CUNY's flagship school. In state tuition is about the same at the best universities in Montana and Nevada. These are the places I've researched recently.

My BA is from a school in Oregon that is priced at about 38k a year but their tuition is need based and I paid about 12k a year to go there. Many students paid a lot less, someone in OP's shoes would pay probably 5k a year to go there.

College isn't for everyone but if there's a job you want that requires it, even something as low paying as school teacher, there's no reason to give up on it before you've even applied and found out what kind of tuition assistance you might get.

raton fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 15, 2015

God Over Djinn
Jan 17, 2005

onwards and upwards
Do you have / can you get a 99th+ percentile score on any common standardized tests? There are a couple of test prep companies that hire people to teach entirely or primarily online, and it pays really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedri Edfly
Dec 4, 2005

An appropriate response to reality

God Over Djinn posted:

Do you have / can you get a 99th+ percentile score on any common standardized tests? There are a couple of test prep companies that hire people to teach entirely or primarily online, and it pays really well.

Can you recommend any companies in particular? I was in the 99th percentile for both the ACT and SAT when I took them in 2006-2007. Will they accept scores that old? Do you need to have a Bachelor's?

• Locked thread