Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Gary Clark Jr. has announced the follow-up to his smash 2012 debut, Blak and Blu. Entitled The Story Of Sonny Boy Slim, the sophomore release is due out September 11th from Warner Bros. Records.

Clark himself wrote, produced, and arranged the album, even playing the majority of the instruments himself. His sisters, Shawn and Savannah Clark, also perform on the record as backing vocalists. As Clark says in a promo video for the LP (which you can watch below), “The underlying tone of this album is faith and hope really at the end of the day. ‘Cause that’s all we need.”

The video features samples of a few songs, and you can hear influences of everything from Americana to classic rock to straight blues music. “I love hip-hop,” Clark professes in the clip. “I love drums, I love the intensity of those sounds. This thing, I want it to be banging.”

Article source: http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/07/gary-clark-jr-announces-new-album-the-story-of-sonny-boy-slim-premieres-the-healing-listen/

Album trailer: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kB-cSi1YV20
New song, "Grinder": https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hUfEcbVfVng

I've personally been a huge fan of Gary Clark Jr. since the release of his first full-length album. I've always been a fan of the blues, and I'm glad there's artists like him that push the envelope and reinvent the blues for the 21st century. There's a certain ferocity and soulfulness to his guitar playing that reminds me of Jimi Hendrix and Buddy Guy.

I'd Iove to hear what goons think of him, as he's made quite an impression (at least on me) since his debut! I've seen him live in 2013 and he was incredible, especially his covers of "Catfish Blues" and "Third Stone From the Sun/If You Love Me Like You Say". I'll definately be checking out his set when he plays the Full Tilt Boogie festival later this month!

Gary Clark Jr. 2015 Tour Dates:
07/30 – Chicago, IL @ House of Blues
07/31 – Chicago, IL @ Lollapalooza
08/02 – Montreal, QC @ Osheaga Music and Arts Festival
08/22 – Pownal, VT @ The Full Tilt Boogie Festival
08/23 – New York, NY @ Afropunk Festival
09/11 – Vancouver, BC @ Rogers Arena *
09/12 – George, WA @ Gorge Ampitheatre *
09/14 – Portland, OR @ Moda Center *
09/16 – Mountain View, CA @ Shoreline Ampitheatre *
09/21 – Los Angeles, CA @ The Forum *
09/24 – Chula Vista, CA @ Sleep Train Amphitheatre *
09/25 – Phoenix, AZ @ AK-Chin Pavilion *
09/27 – Albuquerque, NM @ Isleta Ampitheater *
09/29 – Oklahoma City, OK @ Chesapeake Energy Arena *
09/30 – Wichita, KS @ INTRUST Bank Arena *
10/02 – Austin, TX @ Austin City Limits
10/04 – Atlanta, GA @ Centennial Olympic Park *
10/05 – Nashville, TN @ Bridgestone Arena *
10/07 – Memphis, TN @ FedEx Forum *
10/09 – Austin, TX @ Austin City Limits
10/17 – Anaheim, CA @ Honda Center *
10/31 – Boston, MA @ House of Blues
11/01 – Philadelphia, PA @ The Fillmore
02/18 – St. Petersburg, FL @ Jannus Live
02/19 – Miami, FL @ The Fillmore
02/20 – Lake Buena Vista, FL @ House of Blues
02/21 – Ponte Vedra Beach, FL @ Ponte Vedra Concert Hall
02/23 – Birmingham, AL @ Iron City
02/24 – Chattanooga, TN @ Tivoli Theater
02/26 – Nashville, TN @ Ryman Auditorium
02/28 – St. Louis, MO @ The Pageant
03/01 – Tulsa, OK @ Cain’s Ballroom
03/04 – Houston, TX @ Warehouse Live Ballroom
03/06 – Dallas, TX @ House of Blues
03/08 – El Paso, TX @ Tricky Falls
03/12 – Las Vegas, NV @ Brooklyn Bowl
03/31 – Kansas City, MO @ Uptown Theater
04/01 – Chicago, IL @ Riviera Theater
04/02 – Minneapolis, MN @ First Avenue
04/03 – Omaha, NE @ Slowdown
04/05 – Denver, CO @ Ogden Theater
04/08 – Salt Lake City, UT @ The Depot
04/09 – Boise, ID @ Knitting Factory
04/10 – Seattle, WA @ Moore Theater
04/12 – Vancouver, BC @ Commodore Ballroom
04/14 – Portland, OR @ Roseland Theater

* = w/ Foo Fighters

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
The Story Of Sonny Boy Slim was released this past Friday, so I thought I'd post my initial impressions on the album: It's really, really good, but unlike his first album, this one is much more cohesive, soulful, and versatile in style.

Gary Clark Jr continues to push his boundaries, marrying the blues with 70s funk and R&B, hip-hop, and even folk (with the song "Church"). Instead of putting his trademark distorted blues guitar riffs at the forefront, he takes a much more subtle approach here. His singing has improved, relying more on his falsetto on this album than ever before. Some fans might not necessarily love the direction he's gone with on this album, at least he's taking bold steps forward instead of regurgitating the same riffs over and over.

The standout tracks for me would be: Stay, Shake, Hold On, Our Love, Church and Grinder

Has anyone else had a chance to listen to his new album? Its a refreshing change of pace, and easily one of my favorite albums of the year (behind Sound & Color by the Alabama Shakes, to name one of my current favorites)

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I love both albums and saw him yesterday at ACl at his set and when he was on stage with the Foo Fighters.

• Locked thread