Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digital-Smoke
Feb 14, 2013
I have a 12 week old redbone coonhound beagle mix puppy. his name is duke. duke is a great dog most of the time. I got him when he was very young. he was only 5 weeks old when I got him because the mother, a beagle, kept biting the puppies when they'd try to feed. I had to hand feed him moist kibble to get him to eat. I also had to carry him around in a fleece blanket, because he'd get cold and shake easily. he developed separation anxiety really bad. I couldn't even go to the bathroom without him baying and pawing at the door. the few times I tried leaving him at home to go shopping he'd howl and howl until I got home. for a puppy he is really really loud for a puppy. we've gotten a kennel and placed a comforter and his two flee e blankets that he usually sleeps on in the kennel. he's gotten a lot better about not sleeping in bed with us. he will secluded himself now in the kennel if he doesn't feel like getting loved on. we can also leave for short periods of time with out him going into full freak out mode. but if we are gone for too long he will begin to bark. an example of this is when I was doing a masonry job and I was gone for 13 he bayed and bayed for 15 minutes straight and shaked and nothing would calm him. I had to keep holding him and kissing him and telling him it's ok your all right before he finally relaxed and stopped. he also gets this moods were he chews everything and wants to attack and bite me. nothing will stop him when he gets into these moods. they are seldom but when it happens I get frightened that something is wrong with him because that's just not his normal behavior. when he acts like this me and my gf call him the dark Lord dukifer./ he's also starting to not just nip anymore. he's biting aggressively and growling when he does it. me and my girlfriend have a baby on the way. - she has told me if he does not stop biting like this I have to get rid of him. I love duke very much. I've tried telling him no chew and then giving him his favorite chew toy and saying good boy. I've tried spanking him and saying no chew. I've tried time outs. I just don't know what to do. I bring duke every where with me and I'm so close to him. I need advice so o don't have to get rid of my best friend. he walks 3 miles a day has 12 chew toys and a very loved and well taken care of pup. I just don't know what his problem is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
Puppy socialization classes are key right now, especially because had to be separated from his litter mates and mother at an earlier age. Puppy needs to learn not just about to be around people but how to be around other dogs. Also, stop coddling the dog - that will make him act out more and feel MORE insecure in the end. Like any baby, the puppy needs guidance to learn how to act appropriately - and that means tons of positive reinforcement for good behavior and showing them that they can get what they want if they play by the rules. Yelling doesn't work. Puppies are mouthy little bastards - never let your hands be toys. Ignore the puppy if he's being a nippy rear end in a top hat, and reward him using appropriate toys with praise and attention. I know of some people who put butter on the their hands to teach dogs to lick rather than bite. Crate training is great - gives Duke a safe den to hang out in. Baying for 15 minutes isn't bad at all for the beginning of crate training, and the more you just let him chill out in the crate, the faster he'll calm down, but he is still a baby so remember that in how long you leave him. Other people can tell you more about how long is appropriate at that age.

That being said, your dog will be high energy and will have a high prey drive. With the baby on the way and being inexperienced dog owners, this might not be the best thing for you, the dog, and your growing family. Dogs are a lot of work, and grown up dogs are harder to adopt out than puppies.

pandaid fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 6, 2015

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Digital-Smoke posted:

I just don't know what his problem is.

Honestly? You. You're trying and that's commendable (I actually applaud you, you sincerely ARE trying). But man puppies take a long time to grow into perfectly behaved dogs (there is no such thing, even my 10 year old great dane has had rare accidents in the house or chewed up a door because something scared him and he's basically the most amazing dog ever). You are trying. Keep on trying and listen to pandaid.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
yeah dude he's literally an infant, he's also a hound and they're dumb

most dogs are some degree of fuckups until they're a couple years old. its just how it is

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Well it's obvious that this puppy who is a puppy is going to be bad. Just take it out back and ol' yeller it.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
"I get frightened" [of my 12 week old puppy]

just play with the frustrated puppy he has furious puppy energy he is not violent

puppies bite duder

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Superconsndar posted:

"I get frightened" [of my 12 week old puppy]

just play with the frustrated puppy he has furious puppy energy he is not violent

puppies bite duder

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
going berserk and biting everything in sight is basically the only things puppies do besides piss where they arent supposed to and trying to destroy everything they can reach. and yeah of course he bays like crazy, hes a hound. thats kinda their whole deal

you obviously mean well but you seem in over your head. things are only gonna get harder once the baby's around and puppies are pain in the rear end fuckheads for their first year. honestly your girlfriend seems like she has the right idea

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

congrats on having bought an entirely normal puppy.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Superconsndar posted:

puppies bite duder

Tank would bite our hands and feet every opportunity until about 4 months old when she grew out of it. If he has is shots and what not then try to arrange play time with other dogs so he can pick up social cues from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital-Smoke
Feb 14, 2013
I'm going to try the play date idea. He sees his brother and my neighbors pitbull everyday. maybe more interaction with other dogs will be good for him. I'm also going to walk him even more. it seems if he gets a good 5 mile walk in he's usually done being a fat head for the day.

• Locked thread