Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Short hair, 3 years old, at a healthy weight, no health problems. One of my friends runs with her minpin and says she does fine but it seems weird with a dog so small. Obviously I would work him up, make sure the pavement wasn't too hot, water breaks and let him stop if he needed to stop but could/should I really do 3-4 8-9 minute miles with those stubby little legs?

It wouldn't be an everyday thing but I would love to run with him once a week or less once the weather gets cooler if that was something he could safely do/enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If your worried about it don't go into it with your mind set on your goal, just run with your dog until they are ready to stop, just make sure you know when it is so your dog doesn't plop o the ground and refuse to move while they wait to cool down, or worse at that point.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
I was at a festival today and saw a woman practically dragging her long haired dachshund along the ground. In 94 degree weather. With 60% humidity. I felt so bad for the poor thing. :smith:

I suppose if there's any advice I have to offer, it's don't be that stupid lady. Though you seem like you actually give a poo poo, so I don't think you have much to worry about.

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."
I THINK It would be fine*, but if the little guy is unused to runs make sure you bring some high calorie treats, a small spraybottle of water if it's hot, and prepare to uber/lyft him home or carry him in something if he gets too tired to walk back. The little ones don't have a huge margin for error when it comes to heat exhaustion or exhaustion in general, iirc.

*-((mostly a cat person. My only dogs have been big hounds and a wolf hybrid. Going off what I've heard from little dog obsessed friends.))

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

My parents long haired mini dack spends his entire day tear arsing around the yard chasing down their border collie. They will run just as well as any other dog, they just look comical as hell doing it!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
You could always try it and see what happens, just keep a careful eye on your dog to make sure you're not pushing him too far. Do you think your dog would enjoy it though? Some dogs don't, and prefer outside leash time to be meandering around sniffing all the things time instead of hard exercise.

I tried running with my dog but he's a godawful running partner and can't run in a straight line or at a consistent speed to save his life.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Doxies are a fair bit more delicate than min pins, courtesy of that long back. I would be moderately concerned about repetitive impact of a gallop on pavement with a breed that's so prone to disc issues.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I'd say maybe do a mile or two max, then drop the dog home and do your own run. I'd also be concerned about the wear and tear on a longdog's back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

There's a great Facebook group called Canine Conditioning And Body Awareness. I might ask that question there, after checking out the files. I'd be hesitant due to the long back and risk of disc disease, but others in that group may know more.

• Locked thread