Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just put in a tub surround, and when I try to seal it this happens:

Last time it just "billowed" like the stuff on the right hand side, now it's actually dripping down :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Professor Shark posted:

I just put in a tub surround, and when I try to seal it this happens:

Last time it just "billowed" like the stuff on the right hand side, now it's actually dripping down :confused:

Are you putting silicone on a wet surface? Because that's what it looks like.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nope, it was dry as a bone.

Last night it started to billow when I had a shower, then it got like that while my girlfriend was showering

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Professor Shark posted:

Nope, it was dry as a bone.

Last night it started to billow when I had a shower, then it got like that while my girlfriend was showering

How long between sealing and having the shower? You should leave it at least 24 hours, I'd say even more, like 48. Otherwise it hasn't set properly and the water gets in.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

No baths either, we showered at her parents.

One thing I read online was that the tub should be filled with hot water when you seal... I didn't do that.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Professor Shark posted:

One thing I read online was that the tub should be filled with hot water when you seal... I didn't do that.

I've never tried that. Sounds like you know what you're doing though, so I'll assume you've cleared away any old sealant and cleaned the area you want to seal with white vinegar or something. After that I'm not sure what your problem is. Sealant hasn't gone off? Is the sealant still wet after 48 hours?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

The weight of a tub full of water and/or you will cause the level of the tub to sink slightly, which is enough to make a seal stretch and split or break. Looking at the wavy edge on the seal on the right of that picture it seems to be what's happening here. You need to fill the tub, let it settle a bit and then seal it.

e: I'd suggest cold water rather than hot though as condensation from the steam will cause similar problems to sealing a wet surface.

kecske fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 9, 2015

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

kecske posted:

The weight of a tub full of water and/or you will cause the level of the tub to sink slightly, which is enough to make a seal stretch and split or break. Looking at the wavy edge on the seal on the right of that picture it seems to be what's happening here. You need to fill the tub, let it settle a bit and then seal it.

e: I'd suggest cold water rather than hot though as condensation from the steam will cause similar problems to sealing a wet surface.

My girlfriend's father disagrees, but I'm going to try taking off the old stuff and filling the tub with water + a 30lb dumbbell on a towel sometime this week after cleaning with acetone and leaving a fan on it for a few hours.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Professor Shark posted:

You do want to fill it to let it settle, as mentioned above. In older tubs, cast-iron cores were very common, which were then usually coated with porcelain. If your tub is one of those, fill it with hot water. Otherwise, cold will do fine.

EDIT: use a magnet to test. A painfully obvious note, but the question has come up more than once.

Sole.Sushi fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 10, 2015

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Sole.Sushi posted:

You do want to fill it to let it settle, as mentioned above. In older tubs, cast-iron cores were very common, which were then usually coated with porcelain. If your tub is one of those, fill it with hot water. Otherwise, cold will do fine.

EDIT: use a magnet to test. A painfully obvious note, but the question has come up more than once.

Oh this thing is very, very magnetic. It was pretty awesome to set up my flashlight with a magnet on the bottom.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Professor Shark posted:

Oh this thing is very, very magnetic. It was pretty awesome to set up my flashlight with a magnet on the bottom.

I think this is the start of a story that I've heard in ER a few times. You were checking the shower and were only wearing a towel, to stop your clothes getting wet, right?

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

I've been grouting tub unfilled and having cracking grout issues and this might in fact be a brilliant solution.

old wooden ships
Jan 22, 2015
Did you check the subfloor? Sometimes a bad subfloor can cause this. Even weighting down the tub can won't help, cause the subfloor will give even more later.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015
That is some weird schitt.

It looks as if it doesn't even stick to the tub.

I assume it looks right when you applied it but screws up after using the tub.

Check the calk to see if it works with a porcelain lined tub.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Sole.Sushi posted:

If your tub is one of those, fill it with hot water. Otherwise, cold will do fine.

Why is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Achmed Jones posted:

Why is this?
Cast iron expands and contracts with temperature a lot more than acrylic or enamel.

• Locked thread