Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I know the new Mario Bros games tend to make a lot but outside of that what is there? Side scrollers are super common with indie games but do kids like those or just adults who grew up on them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!
Sonic?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I'm not sure the last couple Sonic games did too well

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Kids love sonic as a merchandising thing more than the games themselves. he has a successful cartoon

side-scrollers do well if they're named Mario, Yoshi, or Kirby

Shovel Knight is 'indie' but it was also a pretty big success from what I understand and is getting a full retail release soon I think?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

donkey kong country returns: tropical freeze
rayman legends
shovel knight

three of the best side-scrollers ever, all available on your nintendo wii u video game console

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i forgot about the new DK and rayman games, those are good and did well. both of them got sequels and i'd expect to see a third at some point

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

deadwing posted:

donkey kong country returns: tropical freeze
rayman legends
shovel knight

three of the best side-scrollers ever, all available on your nintendo wii u video game console

Donkey Kong Country Returns is a good note because it got a sequel exactly because it was the best selling platformer ever by Nintendo that wasn't Mario.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Uncle Wemus posted:

I know the new Mario Bros games tend to make a lot but outside of that what is there? Side scrollers are super common with indie games but do kids like those or just adults who grew up on them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1JG0PoQgsg

Freedom Planet. Wii U version is out soon, it's on steam now.

It's really good.

Go play it. Now.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Night Blade posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1JG0PoQgsg

Freedom Planet. Wii U version is out soon, it's on steam now.

It's really good.

Go play it. Now.

The OP is asking for major sales successes and not indie games.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Freedom Planet is a cool game, tho

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The new Rayman games are popular and eventually sold okay but they both flopped at launch and only started to sell once they hit bargain bins. Sonic and Nintendo characters are the only series/brands that still have enough power to get people to pay full price for a sidescroller.

Littlebigplanet did well last gen but I think it's in the same boat as Scribblenauts, where it blew up in the beginning but people got over it pretty quickly.

Super Meat Boy has sold well over two million copies and I'm sure Cave Story has done at least a million by now. Shovel Knight is over 700k and it'll definitely break a million once they finally release the game in Japan.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 12, 2015

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The new Rayman games are popular but they both flopped at launch and only started to sell once they hit bargain bins. Sonic and Nintendo characters are the only series/brands that still have enough power to get people to pay full price for a sidescroller.

Littlebigplanet did okay last gen but I think it's in the same boat as Scribblenauts, where it blew up in the beginning but people got over it pretty quickly.

scribblenauts is doing incredibly well as an iOS release, where they release a lot of cosmetic dlc stuff and level packs constantly. it's always in like the top 50 profitable things and it came out years ago. i dont know how well the console versions do anymore though

and its not really a platformer, for the purposes of this discussion, i guess

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I mentioned Scribblenauts because it seems like one of those games from the same era as LBP that sold on the strength of the concept but dropped off once the novelty wore off or people realised it didn't work the way they wanted/expected it to. The huge drop-off for the retail releases is due to lots of factors but I can see the iOS version being successful, yeah.

Mobile gaming has killed the market for retail sidescrollers in general, I think - there used to be so many of them because they were the template for every crappy licensed game under the sun, but the shovelware market is largely on phones now and the template has changed to runners or match-threes or whatever.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sidescrollers are still viable it's just a matter of marketing. Like EA has Unraveled and Bloodstained broke the video game Kickstarter record until Shenmue 3. There's just little room in $60 big budget retail package market for sidescrollers that they're either lower cost downloads or indie titles.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Broforce, Axiom Verge are fine examples of a couple recent ones.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

How did shovel knight get so much attention as a kickstarter?

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

http://joymasher.com/odallus/

The team that made this was successful enough with their previous game to do something fancier with this one.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Uncle Wemus posted:

How did shovel knight get so much attention as a kickstarter?

They launched their campaign at PAX with a very polished demo that got a ton of very good press and was made available to a lot of popular youtube channels, they pledged console exclusivity to Nintendo which led to a lot of free promotion from Nintendo and Nintendo diehards, they wrote a lot of articles that generated lots of buzz with different audiences (one about the stylistic restraints of making a faux-NES game, one about sales figures and the realities of crowdfunded development, etc), they've done a lot of outreach to speedrunning communities in order to make their game speedrun/stream-friendly which gives it a lot of extra visibility, and even the staggered release schedule has helped them sustain good word-of-mouth over a long period of time.

It's also a good game, which never hurts.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
They still are at 0/3 wrt Plague, Lich and King Knight's DLCs right?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Anatharon posted:

They still are at 0/3 wrt Plague, Lich and King Knight's DLCs right?

plague comes out soon and it looks dope as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I would have gladly paid $60 for a version of Rare Replay with the DKC series included

• Locked thread