Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
City of Glompton

I have discovered a method for listening to only the best* music, to wit, I studiously avoid gaining knowledge of the bands, singers, songwriters, etc. who create and perform the music I listen to, avoiding subjective bias.

*in my carefully cultured and educated opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton

I go out of my way to not learn anything about them.

I've put electrical tape over the radio display in my car. I have no playlists meticulously organized by artist. I don't watch rockumentaries and I ignore the tabloids at all costs. I don't want to hear the artist's names, I don't want to see their faces, and I certainly don't want to know their history.

You see, all this extra information could bias my opinion of their music. I could like a song because the singer is attractive, or has a compelling rags-to-riches story. that is unacceptable. I want to judge them solely on the content and execution of their music.

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Senior Management

I only listen to music in languages that I do not speak. To preserve the mystery.

:jerry:

alnilam

Most people listen with their ears, but have you tried.... with your eyes?!

FreshCutFries

as a society, we should apply this to all situations. politicians, authors, researchers, etc. should all be judged solely on the content and execution of their music.

City of Glompton

This tactic is not without its difficulties, it's hard finding new music. I have a friend at the record store who gives me unmarked cds, which is very kind of her. I'm concerned that her own bias might affect what she shares, but it's a small price to pay.

Matey

eat food

A life without Behind The Music...you're stronger than I, op

City of Glompton

Matey posted:

A life without Behind The Music...you're stronger than I, op

hissss

City of Glompton

I apologize, I just can't imagine throwing away everything I've worked so hard to obtain for the fleeing pleasure of seeing how the voices really live.

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
Silu: Pandora, randomize music
Pandora: Which genre, miss?
Silu: randomize
Pandora: w.. what
Silu: randomize all. hide artist. hide song. hide genre. activate hard mode.
Pandora: *glows red and flashes*

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Matey

eat food

City of Glompton posted:

I apologize, I just can't imagine throwing away everything I've worked so hard to obtain for the fleeing pleasure of seeing how the voices really live.

honestly I'm pretty sure you're doing it right. I'm jealous

City of Glompton

Qwerinty posted:

dumb crambo
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
i wish i could do this...

City of Glompton

it's awkward when people ask about my favorite music, you know, it's difficult to relate. on the plus side, no guy can attempt to impress me with his musical knowledge, and that may have saved hours of my life.

City of Glompton

I've been told there's a whole movie where a guy talks about his record collection, and this is supposed to be a comedy. I find the premise repulsive.

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

the best songs are the ones played in short snippets and broken up by strings of letters and numbers before dissolving into static

alnilam

me: what's your favorite song?

silu: oh you know, the one that goes "doo doo da doo doo" DON'T SAY IT'S NAME

me: :stare:

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
I only listen to music on an old pair of broken headphones, that way I can make up my own tunes

City of Glompton

alnilam posted:

me: what's your favorite song?

silu: oh you know, the one that goes "doo doo da doo doo" DON'T SAY IT'S NAME

me: :stare:

Gomi Day

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.

meteloides posted:

the best songs are the ones played in short snippets and broken up by strings of letters and numbers before dissolving into static

yeah, the conet project is rad.

Qwerinty

by zen death robot

Gomi Day posted:

yeah, the conet project is rad.

:agreed:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

tao of lmao

Qwerinty posted:

Senior Management

I can't find the clip of the Next Generation crew getting trolled by the computer playing the wrong music. I think that was the one where the computer is getting eaten by Westley's dumb nanorobots.

:jerry:

saboten

i didnt know what eddie vedder looked like for years and then fell in love all over again :3:

thank u bacalou

Rahgozar

Sometimes its good to nod your head while listening

City of Glompton

Rahgozar posted:

Sometimes its good to nod your head while listening

I shake my head no every time I hear a name drop.

Lil Cunty

i had cochlear implants electively installed. my hearing was fine before, but now that im tone deaf i can appreciate the technical ability of musicians without getting distracted by enjoyment

ty crap

ty landy

City of Glompton

Lil Cunty posted:

i had cochlear implants electively installed. my hearing was fine before, but now that im tone deaf i can appreciate the technical ability of musicians without getting distracted by enjoyment

this is my dream

thewireguy
Okay, here is the one weird trick... You have to stop, collaborate, and listen. Words of wisdom vanilla ice .

landy.
I'm ready to go to the concert

City of Glompton

how did you find my picture??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
STILL TRYING HARD
I can't listen to music casually. It just distracts me as background noise. So whenever I listen to music it is a very serious time and I have headphones on to block everything out. Then I get really really ..really high and block out the whole wide world for an hour or two.

• Locked thread