Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
I just moved into a new place where the fire alarm is a foot and a half from the bathroom. It turns on every time I step out after a shower and forget to close the door. I mentioned this to my landlord who asked if I could move it. I said yes, and he also asked if I could patch and paint over the old screw holes.

Drilling new screw holes and patching over the old ones sounds easy, but I thought matching paint colors was really hard. I'm not a handy person and have never done any of these three things (drill hole, patch hole, paint) before, so I have no confidence in my ability to properly paint over the old holes.

Also, it seems the ceiling was painted since the alarm was installed, because it has bits of paint around its edges and there's a slightly darker shade of paint underneath when I take down the fire alarm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Just youtube it, surely?

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
Youtube does not give me an answer to this question, though: Is it reasonable to patch and paint over an area of a wall that has already been painted?

I don't just want to patch a hole. That's easy. But no youtube videos say anything about painting *only* the patched area. They all assume I'll be painting the entire wall afterward, which is not something I'm willing to do.

fruit loop fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 14, 2015

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003
I have remodeled many a house.

You will never match the paint.

If you want to do it right, fill the holes with drywall mud. They sell little pales of what you want at Lowes, complete with the trowel. Fill the hole and let it dry. When dry sand it with a sanding sponge (150 grit). If you still have a low spot hit it with some more mud and repeat sanding. When the ceiling is smooth and dry paint the entirety of it in that area.
If you paint the ceiling of that place you should receive some sort of compensation for it. Rent credit or something.

PromethiumX fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 14, 2015

fruit loop
Apr 25, 2015
That's what I thought. I always heard that you can *never* match paint, especially if you don't have the original paint, but wasn't sure if that was true. Thanks!

E: Yeah, this is a studio, and the area in question is a somewhat dark 3x3 "hall" in front of the bathroom. I could see it maybe being hard to notice if I somehow got the color down, but the risk of having just an ugly area of paint is not something I want to deal with. And I really don't want to repaint the ceiling of this entire studio. I'll see if I can suggest another solution. Thanks!

fruit loop fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 14, 2015

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

fruit loop posted:

That's what I thought. I always heard that you can *never* match paint, especially if you don't have the original paint, but wasn't sure if that was true. Thanks!

E: Yeah, this is a studio, and the area in question is a somewhat dark 3x3 "hall" in front of the bathroom. I could see it maybe being hard to notice if I somehow got the color down, but the risk of having just an ugly area of paint is not something I want to deal with. And I really don't want to repaint the ceiling of this entire studio. I'll see if I can suggest another solution. Thanks!

Deffo agree with the never match paint stuff, even if you have the original paint, unless you know the conditions of when the original coat was painted on (temperature, humidity, etc) you won't get the same color. Double if the paint has been exposed to sunlight and faded a bit from the original.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
if the ceiling is untextured and is only 3x3, just repaint the whole thing. The entire project should take about 30 minutes of actual work, with a lot of drying time in between.

mshade
Jul 13, 2001
You are thinking about this way too hard. It is a property you are renting and you are worried about a level of detail that most actual homeowners don't care about. This is paint on the ceiling that no one ever bothers to look up at. If it matches somewhat close, it will be fine.

Patch the hole, but don't over-mud the edges too much. You can wipe away any that travels far from the patch with a wet paper towel.

If there is any remnants of the ceiling color that you can take to the store, take it with you and match it the best you can. If not, got to the paint store and grab handfuls of color swatches that are anywhere close to the color. Take them all home and find the one that matches best. Paint the patch that color, trying to keep the painted area as small as possible. If it looks crappy, don't worry because no one looks at the ceiling, and it's not your property anyway.

I've done this even on walls on my own home and the results are acceptable.

One important tip if you want it to look good, is to make sure you use primer on the patch before you paint. Otherwise the texture and gloss of paint on un-primed drywall is noticeably different than the exact same paint on primed drywall. I would do this if it was a wall people would look at, I would not buy primer as well as paint for a ceiling of a property I don't own, though.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015
If it is just screw holes that you need to fill, use white toothpaste (Crest brand for instance) and just dab some on the end of your finger and fill the hole that way.

If anything, you can go to Home Depot or Lowes and ask the salesmen there how to patch the hole. I am sure they have dealt with this issue many times before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I just drilled a few holes into my ceiling as well, the only advice I have to offer is to figure out what your ceiling is made of. If it's concrete (like mine is) then you'll need a heftier drill than what you probably have unless you are doing home improvement stuff all the time. I went to Home Depot and rented a hammer drill/rotary hammer for $30 and it did the trick. Obviously if your ceiling is drywall or wood or whatever then no need to get fancy there.

• Locked thread