Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So I have an odd situation with Cooper, our adult male cat. I hope it's OK if I post a new thread.

He pissed on our bed night before last. He has never, ever done anything like that before and he and his sister (we have had the 2 siblings since kittens ) have never had a problem with going to their boxes before.

3 AM when it happened, he was acting sort of strange, meowing and jumping off/on the bed before he let it go on the bed. Needless to say, it completely shocked us (and potentially ruined our less than 1 year old mattress).

Looking for some advice on what could be wrong here. We do plan on taking him to the vet Monday if it still seems to be an issue

Info:

A little over 7 years old. He is somewhat overweight (vet said she wouldn't want him any bigger but not overly alarmed) but he is a big cat. We do measure the food he gets so he doesn't have an open buffet but he doesn't gorge himself either.

Neutered since a kitten

Other than the peeing episode, he seems to act 100% normal. Eats his food, drinks his water, interacts the same as always. Doesn't hide away from us. Comes when we call him, let's us pet and touch him. Grooms like normal. Tail bolt upright. Absolutely nothing different at all in his personality. Socializes with his sister fine.

I completely changed their litter again (I just did as well the night before ironically.. the same night he had his accident) and this AM cleaned it and could tell both used it in the night. The both took a dump and she peed (smaller pee-ball in the clumping litter than him).

An hour or so after I got up this morning he seemed to be acting a little odd, digging in my shoe for example so I picked him up and put him in his box. I made a scratching motion with his paws and left him alone. He promptly urinated. No pain, no crying, nothing weird. I'm not 100% sure if I left him alone if he'd have an accident or not but in my gut I think he probably would have.

I was concerned he had urinary crystals (our old cat had before) but he is not licking himself nor seems to be in pain.. no out of the ordinary yowling/vocalizing... so I am leaning against it although I am certainly no expert. The peeball was one great big ball as always, not "spurts."

When I went to the store to get some pet pee cleaner for the mattress yesterday (not sure if it's going to work well enough to be honest) I also picked up some PH-checking stuff you sprinkle on the litter. I didn't fully follow the instructions because I thought it smelled bad and didn't want to scare him/them from their box. However, after he peed this AM I sort of mushed it in the peeball and it seemed to be a normal color as per the PH chart it came with so I don't think it's that.

What has changed:

Nothing, other than I completed changing them over to a different food. Last week was the first time they were completely changed over as I mixed the two until then. The food seems to be pretty good and says it's balanced for urinary health (FWIW). This is the food. Same litter, no new house guests, not eating anything anything he shouldn't, nothing else introduced.

They have been eating this food in some sort of portion for the last couple months though so I would be a little surprised if it's that although I'm not against putting them back on the old Science Diet WD. Same litter brand in the litterbox as well, and it seems like he is crapping in it just fine so I don't think he is scared of the box.

Even though we do plan on making an appointment with the vet on Monday if it's still an issue, I am certainly open to suggestions on something I might be missing here.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Well, for what it's worth he's being going to the box normally the last few days so I really don't know WTF.

The mattress seems OK (Piss had to go through a thin top cover, comforter and mattress pad) so there really wasn't a lot and the cleaner seems to have done a good job. We are keeping them out of the bedroom going forward though as I am scared that the remaining scent that he might pick up on the mattress might lead him to do it again.

Still have absolutely no clue as to what might have provoked it though.

• Locked thread