Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yeah I'd be loving terrified if I lived in a similar block, it's shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Turns out they used heaps of that same flammable cladding on buildings here in Australia and it’s up to the apartment owners to pay 10s of thousands of dollars each to fix it. What a debacle.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

So far, it's been a somewhat eventful few weeks!

The Soarer behaved for the first week, and then managed to rupture a suspension fluid hose on the drive into work one Monday morning. This resulted in a quick serpentine belt removal (still takes 30+ minutes on these cars!) and a drive home with no power steering, followed by a morning on my rainy driveway to replace the hose.

The next day, a rock managed to take out my unicorn JDM windshield. Cue my insurance company overnight 2-week shipping a new screen from Japan (they still have residual stock of some Soarer screens!), and another claim added to my insurance record. I am truly hosed if I ever want to drive a non-economy car in the UK for the next 5 years :(.

My insurance paid out for the Lexus (another claim, more £££ for my car insurance in the future!), the car was covered but the £2200 of tools inside were not. The local authority who owns the car park is keeping everyone updated, my hope is that I will be able to visit the wreck once it is removed, and maybe recover some items. For now, here are some photographs from inside the car park:

Do you have home insurance? Have you checked if they will cover any of the contents of the car? possessions that you lose while they have been taken out of the house are covered under many policies.
When my car was stolen and later burnt out I claimed all the contents via my home insurance and got a pay out.

Also regarding windscreens I thought that the screen for my 80's Saab would be hard to get hold of. I swapped one out of a scrap car carefully reusing the seal but have since found that I can still order one at around £120 including a new seal which isnt far off what one for a modern car costs!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

And as far as I'm aware, gently caress all has been done about the billion other blocks of flats that don't have adequate fire security. ...because only poors live in flats.

I'm working in some PFI school buildings doing ICT stuff. Not only do we have to follow the standard managed PFI procedure for getting any work done (gently caress loads of forms and extra time and money), but as a blanket rule now (since many of the PFI/BSF era schools have external cladding on) we are now not allowed to have any holes drilled in any walls (we are getting 20 network points added and some access points installed) without getting them checked and signed off by a certified/accredited firestopping and sealing contractor. There appears to be one of them in the Manchester area and he is a very very busy man.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Ha it would be a Rover

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Tomarse posted:

Do you have home insurance? Have you checked if they will cover any of the contents of the car? possessions that you lose while they have been taken out of the house are covered under many policies.
When my car was stolen and later burnt out I claimed all the contents via my home insurance and got a pay out.

Also regarding windscreens I thought that the screen for my 80's Saab would be hard to get hold of. I swapped one out of a scrap car carefully reusing the seal but have since found that I can still order one at around £120 including a new seal which isnt far off what one for a modern car costs!

I'm working in some PFI school buildings doing ICT stuff. Not only do we have to follow the standard managed PFI procedure for getting any work done (gently caress loads of forms and extra time and money), but as a blanket rule now (since many of the PFI/BSF era schools have external cladding on) we are now not allowed to have any holes drilled in any walls (we are getting 20 network points added and some access points installed) without getting them checked and signed off by a certified/accredited firestopping and sealing contractor. There appears to be one of them in the Manchester area and he is a very very busy man.

Sorry for the brief reply, I'm in a hurry tonight.

My home insurance doesn't cover this, I got the cheapest cover.

A Soarer screen is £500 plus £80+ for the seal. I went through insurance at £75 excess.

Regarding the fire, the ABI has recommended that all insurers suck it up any pay out without fighting a legal battle.

The Soarers ECU failed on Tuesday, I'm currently stranded 100 miles from home with no way to get home or get to work on Monday. I'm moving house on Saturday...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I seem to recall mk4 Supras had a run of lovely ECUs too

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
A bunch of ECUs from that generation seem to have bad/dodgy caps. Almost all the LS400s for sale here have various ailments from bad ECU caps.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/656360-all-my-crazy-lexus-issues-solved-ecu-leaking-capacitor.html

The C14 power filter cap on my EG Civic definitely killed it pretty dead trying to get home from brunch.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I changed the capacitors a few years back with higher quality, branded units. They certainly shouldn't have failed already!

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

A quick bump top keep this out of the archives - I've been working away from home for the last few months and it seems like this is going to continue for the rest of the year. The good news is that I'm in the process of buying a new house which comes with a large (by UK standards) plot of land that is suitable for building a large garage.

Hopefully I'll have some time off in the summer to work on the cars. The Soarers are currently on my parents driveway, the FD is in a rented shipping container. But I'm still spending money on them! Time to overnight order more parts from Japan:

I had a look at the UZZ32 with the faulty ECU yesterday. I had a good poke around, but found nothing unusual. Car still doesn't run. I need to swap the other cars ECU in to find out where the problem is. I've been unable to locate another ECU, despite two months of searching :(.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 25, 2018

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009
There is a guy in NZ is also a Soarer fanatic and seems to have a lot of knowledge and spare parts, you should contact him and see if he has a spare ECU or can fix yours. He also has cleanest UZZ32 in existence for sale.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

I've known Mike for a few years, when he first started out, we spoke a lot about these cars. His car, #32 was purchased with no active suspension. He ended up installing it himself, rebuilding most of the system to "new" condition, and stuck a 3UZ in there with a shitload of custom fabrication.

I run the same electronics services for these cars in the UK as Mike does in NZ. I have pulled my ECU apart, but have not replaced any components yet (the capacitors are only a few years old).

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

I've known Mike for a few years, when he first started out, we spoke a lot about these cars. His car, #32 was purchased with no active suspension. He ended up installing it himself, rebuilding most of the system to "new" condition, and stuck a 3UZ in there with a shitload of custom fabrication.

I run the same electronics services for these cars in the UK as Mike does in NZ. I have pulled my ECU apart, but have not replaced any components yet (the capacitors are only a few years old).

Well... now i know this Soarer obsession is contagious I'm extremely worried. Joke's aside, it must actually be hard to sell one in such good condition. I imagine most people with $15k to burn on a weekend car probably don't have the Soarer at the top of their list. Still a very cool build on his part.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Just a quick pre-anti-archival post. I'm heading away for work until October, I'll be travelling around all of Europe and the US which will be fun, but means no more car-related posts until the end of the year!

In other news, my house purchase finished up yesterday and I started moving bits in. The two Soarers are now safely tucked up in my yard, one of them made it into the garage.

I swapped ECUs between the Soarers and found that both ECUs are fine. The crank-no-start issue on the one car is down to something else. I've traced it as far back as the EFI relay not getting 12v to its coil when the ignition is on, but I haven't got any further than that, and now it will need to wait until October.

I was planning to do the typical goony huge garage build this summer, now it seems that I'll need to push it back to next summer. The FD is living in a container near my parents house, and despite being away, I am still ordering parts for it when they come up at the right price.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Where you going to be in the US?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
So, while you're here, you should go look at this:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/180737692131890/permalink/785608584978128/

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

sharkytm posted:

Where you going to be in the US?

I'm going to be in various cities throught July-September. Specifically:

July: Cleveland, Washington, Philadelphia
August: E. Rutherford, Boston, Minneapolis, Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo, Nashville, Atlanta, Orlando, Miami
September: Arlington, New Orleans, Houston, Phoenix, Los Angeles, San Diego, Santa Clara

I can't discuss my work this time, unfortunately. But if anyone is around, I'll hopefully have some time off to say hi!

Christ that looks ridiculous. $4k is surely worth it for the engine alone? Someone please buy this thing and finish it off. I'll happily share all my knowledge about these cars to make it happen!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

August: E. Rutherford, Boston, Minneapolis, Chicago, Detroit, Buffalo, Nashville, Atlanta, Orlando, Miami
September: Arlington, New Orleans, Houston, Phoenix, Los Angeles, San Diego, Santa Clara

I can't discuss my work this time, unfortunately. But if anyone is around, I'll hopefully have some time off to say hi!

drat, that's a lot of travel. Let me know when you're in Detroit, there are a few AI goons here. August is a good time for cars with the dream cruise and not "ball-shriveling cold" weather.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Arlington, Virginia, or Arlington, Texas?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Let me know when you are in Nashville, will all depend if I have the kids that day or not but...

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Larrymer posted:

drat, that's a lot of travel. Let me know when you're in Detroit, there are a few AI goons here. August is a good time for cars with the dream cruise and not "ball-shriveling cold" weather.

Damnit, I've spent more time in Detroit since 2015 than at my own house (not joking :(). I'm there August 12 and 13. Near downtown IIRC.

Darchangel posted:

Arlington, Virginia, or Arlington, Texas?

Ah, forgot to mention, TX :).

everdave posted:

Let me know when you are in Nashville, will all depend if I have the kids that day or not but...

I'll be there August 22 and 23 :)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

I'll be there August 22 and 23 :)

That is Wed/Thurs so very likely can get out one of those nights will add it to my phone calendar

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ah, forgot to mention, TX :).

Ah, you must be visiting the GM plant there. Go draw dicks on something for me.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
When you go to Philadelphia, I would see it as a personal favor if you were to go to Catahoula, drink stupid amounts of their Vieux carres, and call Jeff a dick if he's still there. The remoulade is drat good there too.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Message me when you're in Cleveland.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Christ that looks ridiculous. $4k is surely worth it for the engine alone? Someone please buy this thing and finish it off. I'll happily share all my knowledge about these cars to make it happen!

Get in touch with me when you're in Santa Clara in September and we'll see if we can't work out going flying

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Arlington is currently about 45 minutes away, though I'm moving to Austin a bit before you'll be here. Still, I'll be back up this way pretty frequently (family and friends up here), and Houston is only a 2.5 hour drive. I don't know Houston worth a drat, but I know plenty of good taco places around Arlington. Shoot me a PM when you're in TX if you want tacos + lovely American beer.

I think Darchangel is about 20-30 minutes from Arlington?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

poo poo, thanks for the replies guy :3:. I'll post updates on when exactly I'm around in each place.

My job may end up with me working up to 18 hours each day, hopefully it will be less and I'll get to enjoy some time off. I'll definitely be hitting up the AI goons whenever I have time as I'm passing through! :)

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I'm an hour from Boston, and could put you up for a night if you want to venture to the Cape.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

Ah, you must be visiting the GM plant there. Go draw dicks on something for me.

That's right up the highway from where I live.
In fact, in my youth, I actually lived about a mile from the plant.

There's a few other goons here and around. STR isn't far away when he's not in Austin.

STR posted:

Arlington is currently about 45 minutes away, though I'm moving to Austin a bit before you'll be here. Still, I'll be back up this way pretty frequently (family and friends up here), and Houston is only a 2.5 hour drive. I don't know Houston worth a drat, but I know plenty of good taco places around Arlington. Shoot me a PM when you're in TX if you want tacos + lovely American beer.

I think Darchangel is about 20-30 minutes from Arlington?

Ayup. I'm not far from the south end of DFW airport.
Go with STRs recommendations. I'm in no way a gourmand. I'm not even good at dive bars.
There is an actual authentic (as far as I can tell) English pub in North Richland Hills, about 30 minutes away or so, if you're missing home foods. I had some bangers and mash that made me very happy. And a Scotch egg.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Darchangel posted:

That's right up the highway from where I live.
In fact, in my youth, I actually lived about a mile from the plant.

There's a few other goons here and around. STR isn't far away when he's not in Austin.

Heh, my stepfather at the time was plant manager there during them building various series suvs there.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

Heh, my stepfather at the time was plant manager there during them building various series suvs there.

They were building a-bodies or possibly early g-bodies when I lived there. They had an open house once during that time. Visiting a working auto manufacturing plant as a kid is one of the most awesome things ever.

Chef Brian
Jul 20, 2004

HAY KB THANKS FOR BUYING ME MY ACCOUNT! I THINK THIS IS AN APPROPRIATE WAY TO THANK YOU! -A-ARSE
I just read this from start to finish and I have to say that you are an absolute madman!

Thank you for all of the stories so far, hang in there until you can get back home and start working on the RX7 :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Thanks! I'm still away for a few more months, I don't have much free time but I'm making use of the time I have to order parts and figure out how to overcome the various challenges that this project will present.

• Locked thread