Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

The son of a wealthy merchant has disappeared, and he has hired your group to search for and rescue the child. After several days of searching, you finally find a trail that leads to the mouth of a cave. This is where our adventure begins.

===

This is a game of RoleMaster, to be played over PbP.

I'll be using the "RoleMaster Express" edition of the game from 2007, which has simplified most of the rules. And I've cut down on it even further, particularly by culling magic and spellcasting entirely.

I've prepared a Google Doc that should cover character creation.

This is a fairly short introductory adventure, but if the group likes it we can expand it out to more of a sandbox.

RM is infamous for being rules-heavy and chart-heavy, why are you doing this?

I think the PbP format is well suited for crunchy games, since you can take the time to get the rules and the chart look-ups right, and the decisive nature of the combat should mean that it either doesn't drag, or that the back-and-forth is interesting. I'm also interested in finding out how well the game actually plays in-practice.

I'm very active on the forums and have PMs, so let me know if you have questions! I'm looking for 4-5 players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Never played this before so I'll probably have lots of questions. I want to check and see if I understand skills correctly. Say I'm a fighter that gains body development at 2/5.

Purchase 2 ranks of body development for 7 points.
Gain a level.
Can I now purchase another rank of body development for 2 points?

I think the table for skill costs (T-2.8) covers the cost for increasing an entire category. What are the costs for increasing a specific skill?

Since there is no magic, the mental stats aren't primary stats for anyone. Are mental stats going to get their costs decreased or otherwise boosted to compensate for their reduced utility?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

LLSix posted:

Purchase 2 ranks of body development for 7 points.
Gain a level.
Can I now purchase another rank of body development for 2 points?

That's correct.

You start with 0 ranks in Body Development
When doing your "adolescent" level up, you can buy 1 rank for 2 points, or 2 ranks for 7 points
And then you do your "apprenticeship" level up, where you can buy 1 rank again for 2 points, or 2 ranks for 7 points
And then you start the game as a level 1 character

So the most number of ranks in BD you could start with is 4 ranks

LLSix posted:

I think the table for skill costs (T-2.8) covers the cost for increasing an entire category. What are the costs for increasing a specific skill?

If you're going off the book, I can't see where this is. As far as I'm ruling you can only increase ranks in specific skills.

And if you're going off the book, I'll let you use the skill costs for a Fighter, but mind that you're still giving yourself 50 DPs per level up, or else you're going to have far less DPs than people who are using the doc directly.

LLSix posted:

Since there is no magic, the mental stats aren't primary stats for anyone. Are mental stats going to get their costs decreased or otherwise boosted to compensate for their reduced utility?

We'll deal with increasing stats on a level up when we get there.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I think I'm reading the non-express version of the rules. Oops. Still, I think I've mostly got a handle on things and have most of my skills assigned.

What does armor skill do for you? Just reduce the movement penalty for armor? I'm thinking of doing full plate and even with high armor skill the movement penalty is over 100 so I may not put any points into armor skill at all.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

LLSix posted:

What does armor skill do for you? Just reduce the movement penalty for armor? I'm thinking of doing full plate and even with high armor skill the movement penalty is over 100 so I may not put any points into armor skill at all.

Wearing armor applies a penalty to your Quickness bonus to Defensive Bonus (to a minimum of 0 Quickness bonus to DB), and applies a penalty to any skill check you make involving Quickness or Agility (does not bottom out at 0)

• Locked thread