Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
I flew into L.A from Sydney expecting to pick up a 2liter Focus from Dollar.
There was none available so I downsized to a 1.6l Fiesta. Other options were Korean crap or SUV's. There were also Toyotas and Mazdas in there lot.
Turns out I found a nice car anyway. This Ford handled well. It was a 6 speed auto with a good sports mode toggle on the shifter. (I am a Falcon driver in Australia)

Trip details were:-
1 LA (Space Shuttle) & NHRA Museum to NV (Primm Valley) via Big Bear Lake and Barstow.
2 Vegas to Page AZ via Hoover Dam & Grand Canyon
3 Page to Moab via Monument Valley
4 Moab to Montrose via all the sightseeing stuff like Canonlands & Arches then up the 128.
5 Montrose to Breckenridge via the Hosier Pass and the "South Park" towns
6 Breck to Denver to see the Mile High Nationals. Main reason for the trip.

I was very impressed by this trip. But the best was yet to come. I can post days 7 to 20 if there is interest. Pics as well.

Like taking the Fiesta out on to the salt and doing 80+ or doing 100+ down the 93 in Utah for over an hour. Topped out at 119mph.

Sure we have this in Australia, but it is license busting behavior.

As a tourist I could just plead ignorance and keep having fun.

Anyway this is only one third of the trip, I'll post more if there is interest.

I was very impressed by the USA, bit some parts are better than others. Beggars in San Fran Cisco poo poo neighborhoods in L.A.

Then free dank nugs in Denver ....
Denver & California people were the nicest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
I forgot to mention I met a guy in Fairplay Colorado who was about 70 that told me he remembered actual gunfights in the main street when he was young.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Are you still there?

did you hit the imperial collection in vegas, or the national car museum in reno?

Also, as a gosh darn foreigner, doing something viewed as serious could get you told to leave the country, which makes it tougher to get back in the next time.

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
I Went to the Pinball hall of fame in Vegas.

Already did DUI in Canada twice in '84

So I was VERY careful in THE USA (I'm 54 years old now)

I was with my partner, a nice lady from Taiwan. She slowed me down a bit...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

wildemere posted:

I Went to the Pinball hall of fame in Vegas.

I've always wanted to go there! Last time I was in Vegas I was unaware it existed :/

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Did you do any mountain roads in the Fiesta? Even the non-ST versions of that car love to be thrown around.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Shoulda picked the SUV if you were going for the "America" experience :)

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

revmoo posted:

I swear, I will go to Austrailia and rent a Ute, even if I get all the rolled eyes ever.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
For quite a while after reading the OP, I thought Dollar was some kinda dealership in LA and was trying to figure out why someone would buy a Fiesta and drive it back to Australia. :downs:

I'm glad the Bay Area or parts of California treated you well. It's been nothing but the opposite for me whilst I've lived here.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Shampoo posted:

I swear, I will go to Austrailia and rent a Ute, even if I get all the rolled eyes ever.

HSV Maloo or bust.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Powershift posted:

Are you still there?

did you hit the imperial collection in vegas, or the national car museum in reno?

Also, as a gosh darn foreigner, doing something viewed as serious could get you told to leave the country, which makes it tougher to get back in the next time.

American cops seem to take speeding way to seriously. According to my local contacts, more seriously than running red lights even. So on my vacation the best I did was like 100mph for short periods of time in the middle of nowhere desert in Nevada and Arizona. Still I'd probably be executed on the spot if caught. Here that would be like 2 points on the license and an unpleasant and tolerable fine if anyone gave a poo poo to set speed traps on the highway.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

It really varies state by state and according to other factors as well. In Virginia you can do jail time for speeding, but in most of the Northeast most people speed everywhere all the time. As long as you're not doing more than 10 over the limit on surface roads or 15 over the limit on the highway you're generally safe, but certain areas are worse than others.

I have never heard of anyone getting pulled over for doing 80 or less on a 65 mph limit Massachusetts highway.

Doing 100 mph is reckless driving most places though, which will almost certainly be viewed as more severe than running a red.

Stupid, since running a red is probably at least a 50% chance of causing an accident in most cases, while going 100 mph isn't likely to cause one on most highways.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 21, 2015

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
Some pics

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

revmoo posted:

Yep, I basically walked into National and made a beeline for the biggest, most fully-loaded SUV I could find.

They suit your roads, and fuel's so cheap you don't have to care at all about economy.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I had a '13, 5-speed, it was surprisingly nice. Me, the wife, our two kids and all our luggage went on a 2,000 mile trip in it with little discomfort.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I rented a Fiesta for a while and also liked it. That happy little chime when it starts

doo-dee-doo doo-dee-doo :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The coliseum has to be one of the worst places to see a MLB game but I bet the tickets were much cheaper than in San Francisco

• Locked thread