Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
This year there are 17 Republicans running for president, including a heart surgeon, a woman who ran a printer company 15 years ago, and a reality TV star.

Conspicuously absent from the parade of candidates is one of the former "heads" of the Republican Party, former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, who runs for president or talks about running for president whenever he needs to sell a book or buy more jewelry or have his ego massaged (which is to say, most of the time).

Gingrich is a bit conspicuous by his absence in a season when everyone else is running. Could he have just learned his lesson?

It might not be too much speculation to guess at why: the Dennis Hastert case. A few months ago, it came out that Dennis Hastert, the former Republican Speaker of the House and one of the players in the Contract With America era Republican congress, was being indicted for "structuring": withdrawing money to avoid reporting to the authorities. This money furthermore was being used to pay blackmail to a man that Hastert might have carried a sexual affair with while a high school wrestling coach. You know, typical Republican stuff.

I am thinking it might not be too far-fetched to think that one reason that Gingrich is wishing to stay out of the public eye is that there might be questions about how much he might have known about what Hastert was doing to get money. I don't imagine that Hastert was advertising the entire business, but Gingrich might have recognized that something was going on. He might have even been involved in getting Hastert money. Or, at the very least, there might be questions about why he didn't know something that he should have.

On the tinfoil hat meter, how does the theory that Gingrich is laying low to avoid questions about how much he might have known about the Hastert case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Please run Newt America needs you

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

rear end cobra posted:

Please run Newt America needs you

More importantly the moon needs him!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
I thought this was going to be about Newt taking on Truthers as penance for failing his dream of living on the moon with his animal friends.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Newt has realized that the future belongs to the Statists and he has been on the losing side of history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmKVRVX4q-k

Communism is Soviet Power plus Electrification

A Time To Chill
Feb 26, 2007

glowing-fish posted:

On the tinfoil hat meter, how does the theory that Gingrich is laying low to avoid questions about how much he might have known about the Hastert case?

somewhere between jfk and moon landing imho

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

A Time To Chill posted:

somewhere between jfk and moon landing imho

What about the idea that Gingrich's generally-scandal infused past finally gathered enough weight to discourage him for kicking up anymore poo poo?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

glowing-fish posted:

What about the idea that Gingrich's generally-scandal infused past finally gathered enough weight to discourage him for kicking up anymore poo poo?

somewhere between moon nazis and hollow earth nazis

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

It's probably the $4.6 million debt from the last campaign.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/01/newt-gingrich-campaign-debt-114728.html

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
He's rolling with the newly developed political theory that claims he willfully gave up the GOP's chances at future presidential bid to secure control of the House.

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006
OPs tone toward the leader of the *possibly* civilizing forces is detestable. Gingrich is biding his time while his good pal and apprentice the Donald sets him up the perfect base. Drops out, possibly endorsing Gingrich, a Reformist conservative who sweeps in to save the day from the dastardly establishment. Again. Gingrich Saves Christmas! :catdrugs:

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
Say what you want about this man, the first zoo on the moon will be named after him and that's that.

Chafey
Jun 14, 2005
it's called a "smart phone"

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Chafey posted:

it's called a "smart phone"

It's not a phone, its a Galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Say what you want about this man, the first zoo on the moon will be named after him and that's that.

republican party will be banned by then so no.

• Locked thread