Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.
I found a book called "Keys to Drawing". It seems pretty great as an introductory book that has gotten me from "nothing" to "really bad but making something that someone could understand was supposed to be art". It covers really basic things, like how to actually look at what you're drawing, how to make marks on a page, how to give the illusion of light and shadow, how to give the illusion of depth, and so on.

Is there anything like that for music? Note that I don't want to play a musical instrument. Let's say I've got a copy of Ableton and am happy as long as nothing I do requires any manual dexterity. I'm interested purely in learning to put sounds together in a way such that the end result could be called "music".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
get this
https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/making-music-book-of-creative-strategies/
buy one of these
http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/maschine/production-systems/maschine/
and read the manual.
You don't have to 'play' it, you can use it in step sequencer mode. the important thing is that trying things is easy, you hit buttons, it makes sounds and you tell it where you want that sound to go. trying different things is near instant.

I use ableton as an arrangement tool for everything else that goes into it (half of which comes from the maschine, the rest from bits of hardware). ableton with no plugins, or starting with some pirated vsts and no music theory knowledge requires a lot more actual studying and learning before you'll make anything that doesnt sound like total poo poo. it's more work because you're making the sounds that you'll be putting together. It's the way most people started but you need to really love it to get through that stage, and if you could make it through that stage on your own I think you wouldn't even be asking this question.

also http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=104

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 25, 2015

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

It was more disappointing (and surprising) when I found that even most of Manhattan isn't like Times Square.
Ah, I didn't realize there was a forum for exactly this. Thanks!

Also, that's the thing: I'm so new that I didn't even realize that this

quote:

t's more work because you're making the sounds that you'll be putting together. It's the way most people started but you need to really love it to get through that stage, and if you could make it through that stage on your own I think you wouldn't even be asking this question.

Was even a thing people could do, so that was an enlightening reply.

Now, there really isn't a single book that's like "in case you didn't know, some people make their sounds. here's how they do it. and now here's how they arrange their sounds into patterns in time that sound pleasant, and some ways to approach that. and now here are the things, from 10,000-foot view, that you would do to make a finish piece of music, and here's an introductory chapter for each one..."? There's nothing like that? People seriously learn how to create music by repeatedly making sounds without knowing what they're doing, and stuff like rhythm, melody, harmony, etc. is just something every single one of them picked up on their own, by coincidence, with no education?

Like, does the process of creating music even have a name? If you want to create pictures on paper with a pencil, that's called "drawing", and if you want to learn how to do it, all you have to do is type "how to draw" into Google. If I want to make music on my computer with <some kind of tool I don't know, "DWS"? "VTS"? "synthesizer"?>, then what's that called and what do I type into Google?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Are you an alien?

EB Nulshit
Apr 12, 2014

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

EB Nulshit posted:

People seriously learn how to create music by repeatedly making sounds without knowing what they're doing, and stuff like rhythm, melody, harmony, etc. is just something every single one of them picked up on their own, by coincidence, with no education?

No, but once they did that for a bit they were like 'ok I know poo poo all about melody' and they start learning music theorey, or they go 'poo poo my rhythm sucks I best focus on that for a while'
A lot of people started by banging around aimlessly, and after doing that they knew how to and what to focus on next.
You can happily start making grooves with a maschine with no education and after 6 months you won't need to ask such a broad question because you'll have an idea of what you want to make.

• Locked thread