Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anarchy reigns has maybe six people playing deathball in prime-time. RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Random-rear end Half-Life mods: BrainBread, Tour of Duty, OZ Deathmatch, Frontline Force, etc. Love the general aesthetic and mod ideas from this era.

JoeCool
Aug 15, 2009
Obsidian conflict, the best half life 2 coop mod there was. User made levels were the focus, and you were thrust into an enormous level selector after every round where you had to break down the wall of the game you wanted to play.

Obsidian had insanely fun and creative levels, including an incredibly deep and engaging coop farming simulator called harvest.

There was also a level that pitted npcs from the half life games in an arena against each other (including players) and you could bet which ones would win.
Overall an incredibly fun mod, I wish it was wasn't dead :(

JoeCool fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 4, 2015

The Big Lebowski
Nov 13, 2000

Pillbug
Might and Magic: Dark Messiah was an absolute blast while it lasted. It died off really quickly and would have benefited from some bug fixes and a handful of new levels.

BF2142 was great if only for collecting dog tags. I don't know if I ever even fired a gun during the last couple months I played.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I played Tabula Rasa and it seemed fun, I was really starting to like it, then it got shitcanned :(

I totally missed Star Wars Galaxies in its prime but logged in when I heard it was shutting down soonish, it was really odd and sad seeing all the stuff people had made and a few die hards left playing, dancing, emoting and super eager to help me out and give me money and a backstory and stuff, just because they hadn't seen a new guy in ages :smith:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Rakion was in the realm of "so lovely it was fun" for me. It was fun arena combat with a number of classes and weirdly had quest maps for some reason that weren't all that fun. It was grindy as hell too and pretty high on the pay to win scale. Still it was fun just to muck around in mindless deathmatch shenanigans.

In the same area, Gunbound was quite a time to be had back in the hayday. Also pretty huge on the pay to win but hey there were Avatar Off servers.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Going way back to some Gamespy classics: Medal of Honor Allied Assault and Sudden Strike.

MoH wasn't really anything special in the FPS genre but I'll be damned if I didn't put like 5000 hours in as a kid.

Sudden strike on the other hand was a pretty unique WW2 RTS that I don't think has ever really been replicated. Large teams with hundreds of troops per team and no building mechanic whatsoever. Again, probably rose colored glasses from thousands of hours as a kid, by drat I wish I could play some of my favorite maps in that game again with 7-9 other people.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 5, 2015

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Savage and to a lesser extent Savage 2. Funnest MP FPS game I have ever played with nothing else coming close. The way that game handled the smooth switch from melee to ranged was amazing, being a predator doing the 1-2 swipe and then leaping backwards to shoot green poo poo at them, felt so good. The 64 players servers were fun as gently caress and every now and then you would have the perfect position as a catapult to end the game with like 48-3 kill death ratio because there was only one corridor everyone is piling in. Being a captain and getting babysat by your commander so you end the game still in the first human class and a hunting bow with eleven kills no deaths was so good. The different unit classes were all fun and different.

gently caress I miss Savage

Savage 1 was one of the only multiplayer FPS games I've ever played that didn't make melee combat feel like a clunky chore-of-last-resort. I've yet to see it replicated anywhere else.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

deep impact on vhs posted:

tribes ascend was great for the first few months yeah

the voice packs were hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VYMXudza5w
it might not be quite dead: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fnu0Xe9bnZAVPu9eLLBvE2rgZcdqVd7x3SF3ayIDkto/pub
new patch, first in two years, going up on playtest servers in around a week that restores armor based loadouts (light, medium, heavy)

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I was going to say Action Quake 2 but it looks like there may be a way to play it online now so maybe I will be happy and run around with slippers and a sawed off blowing people away.

Sniping was so satisfying in that game. No standing around camping somewhere, but running and hopping all over the map while sniping people in mid-air.

Mazz posted:

Sudden strike on the other hand was a pretty unique WW2 RTS that I don't think has ever really been replicated. Large teams with hundreds of troops per team and no building mechanic whatsoever. Again, probably rose colored glasses from thousands of hours as a kid, by drat I wish I could play some of my favorite maps in that game again with 7-9 other people.

Blitzkrieg was pretty much more of the same (and made by the same people?) i.e. very good. There's a new Blitzkrieg game in Steam early access now, but the reviews for it are rather mixed so dunno about that. Blitzkrieg 1 and 2 are also in Steam though, and only 5 bucks each.

Double Bill fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 5, 2015

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
The Simutronics MUDs - Dragonrealms and Gemstone.

They're still around and ostensibly active - they even implemented a lovely, way-too-late F2P model, but :/.

I sank so many hours into those games 15 years ago. I try going back every couple years and it's always too empty to keep playing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Big Lebowski posted:

Might and Magic: Dark Messiah was an absolute blast while it lasted. It died off really quickly and would have benefited from some bug fixes and a handful of new levels.

Dark Messiah MP stuck around way longer than it should have. I haven't checked since 2013, when I checked and it was deader than dead, but as late as late 2011 I got into a CTF server on the 2fort map and played for like nine hours with a full server. That thing was so poorly balanced but so much fun.

Malloc Voidstar posted:

it might not be quite dead: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fnu0Xe9bnZAVPu9eLLBvE2rgZcdqVd7x3SF3ayIDkto/pub
new patch, first in two years, going up on playtest servers in around a week that restores armor based loadouts (light, medium, heavy)

I guess HiRez is finally making money again so they can afford to go back and unfuck Ascend? Maybe? They probably won't take all the necessary steps and it's probably way too late to revive the flagging community, but it'd be nice. Those changes are a drat fine step though, wow. I didn't think they'd ever go that far to unfuck their dumb design decisions. Guess when it doesn't cost them anything.

Orv fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 5, 2015

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Rakion was in the realm of "so lovely it was fun" for me. It was fun arena combat with a number of classes and weirdly had quest maps for some reason that weren't all that fun. It was grindy as hell too and pretty high on the pay to win scale. Still it was fun just to muck around in mindless deathmatch shenanigans.

I didn't think anyone else had played Rakion.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Day of Defeat. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of American and maybe European servers for it, but here in Australia there are exactly two. One of them is mostly okay, though it certainly isn't full around the clock, except even when there are lots of people in it (by lots I mean like eight), the admins will occasionally host sperg-sessions where they institute "realism mode". I don't want to begin to get into what that means. Ugh.

Also Pirates of the Burning Sea. Cool little MMO back in the day, now there are two servers that are almost always mostly empty. I think there must be like a few hundred people playing it now, I'd be really surprised if someone told me it was more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Darthemed posted:

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix. Even when the Xbox 360 was in its prime, the multiplayer experience was mostly refreshing the lobby until a name appeared, only for it to vanish within a couple of seconds.

Multiplayer matches in that game were just a race to see who could slam down enough pieces to get the diamond first, anyway. You missed nothing.

• Locked thread