Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I know some leftist old timers who still have some sympathy for Pablo, is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

COOL CORN posted:

Is this not an original photo?

I should have known there would be more than one photo.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

I only saw the one with all the police standing over him.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

twistedmentat posted:

Hah, I was expecting something more like "But Escobar was actually a successful Businessman". But i meant more in their desire to be respected.

And drat, I feel really bad for Pena. loving CIA, I cannot imagine how they could have been actually helpful in any ways dealing with the Cartels

So finished it, i was dreading that they'd not end with Escobar's death and next season would be him hanging out starting to rebuild and eating ice cream while the Search Bloc just misses him constantly. I am interested if they do a 3rd season if it will be dealing with the Cali Cartel, which I think actually was a bigger operation than Escobar, but was more spread out and didn't have the single head of it. It sure sounded like Pena was going to be needed in dealing with that. I did get the sense from his hearing that the DEA guys didn't care what happened, and knew he was the man for the job they needed. Though did they photoshop the Escobar death photo? Because If I remember, its just Search Bloc members, and Murphy was not in it.

My guess for season 3 it'll be Cali cartel for sure, but I'm guessing that Pacho would be used in the show as the one calling the shots. In a future season Griselda Blanco would be a good one to focus on, she was ruthless as gently caress. The sister of Pacho owed her money or tried to rip her off on a deal or something, they later found her severed head in a box

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
That 'rebuttal' is incredible. Like this guy here didn't do the bombing, but Pablo did order some other guy to do it.

Like the film is full of storytelling economies and fabrications, the kind o inaccuracies really appear like true believer stuff, of course being Pablo's son would completely warp your world view. There's plenty of loyalty, good soldier, etc stuff to believe he pretty much internalised most of Pablo's rhetoric in his childhood.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

COOL CORN posted:

This is a real picture, not photoshopped. Murphy was not actually there when it happened like the show portrays, he showed up awhile after. In macabre fashion the Colombian police allowed cops to pose with his corpse for hours, it actually created a semi-controversy because even though the locals had turned on Escobar they thought that it was a really lovely thing to do. They stayed there so long thousands of people had gathered up on the street below and that's actually where Hermilda was when she gave the interview about how he was the best son ever.

Also Pablo's son is a huuuuge piece of poo poo. He's tried playing this "I don't want to be associated with my dad" con while doing the exact opposite. He created a lovely "documentary" where he went around to Pablo's victim's families and apologized but half the time he would tell the camera before he went there that he didn't believe his father was actually responsible. Also later on he tried to make Che type clothes with just Pablo's face on it and nobody bought that poo poo.

Love Crime fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 13, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It's ridiculous that a superb show like this isn't gettin more attention from goons. It's loving awesome

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

ded posted:

If Escobar was alive today and the hunt was on for him, he would eat a hellfire missile from a CIA drone.

After a few weddings got hit beforehand.

The druglords of today are way worse than Pablo and they are not getting hellfired

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Zzulu posted:

The druglords of today are way worse than Pablo and they are not getting hellfired

If they had all power consolidated to one person like pablo they might. But drug lords of today are all over the place and no one person has all the power.

Did anyone find it off when the head DEA lady came in and used the term "in a minute". Meaning not for a long time. I am pretty sure that wasn't used back in the 80's. I've only started noticing people use it as of the past year or two. I could be wrong.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Holyshoot posted:

Did anyone find it off when the head DEA lady came in and used the term "in a minute". Meaning not for a long time. I am pretty sure that wasn't used back in the 80's. I've only started noticing people use it as of the past year or two. I could be wrong.

Pretty sure the idiom "in a minute" has been around a lottttttttt longer than just the past year or two?

Maybe I'm not remembering the context

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Holyshoot posted:

That didn't really strike me as off, depending on where she was supposed to be from. Had she used the version "a hot second/minute" or something like that, then yeah, that would have been off. Using "in a minute" as an idiom would have been contemporary to the early 90s.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Holyshoot posted:

If they had all power consolidated to one person like pablo they might. But drug lords of today are all over the place and no one person has all the power.

There also the fact that Pablo was batshit insane and a literal terrorist. Not many drug lords that I am aware went that far

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Holyshoot posted:

Haha what? No, people have said that for a long time.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Jake Armitage posted:

Haha what? No, people have said that for a long time.

Ahh okay then. Weird how I have just started noticing it recently.

Elias_Maluco posted:

There also the fact that Pablo was batshit insane and a literal terrorist. Not many drug lords that I am aware went that far

True, once you start killing innocent non browns (like the plane bombing) then people start to notice.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Elias_Maluco posted:

Ehh, they're more subtle these days but they've found massgraves with hundreds of bodies in them linked to cartels for example

The Cali cartel also did their share of grossness:

quote:

The Cali Cartel had participated in social cleansing of hundreds of "desechables" (English: discardables). The desechables included prostitutes, street children, petty thieves, homosexuals and the homeless. Along with some of the locals, the Cali Cartel formed parties self-named grupos de limpieza social (English: social cleansing groups) who murdered the "desechables," often leaving them with signs on them stating: "Cali limpia, Cali linda" (English: clean Cali, beautiful Cali). The bodies of those murdered were often tossed into the Cauca River, which later became known as the River of Death. The municipality of Marsella in Risaralda was eventually bankrupted by the cost of recovering corpses and conducting autopsies

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Zzulu posted:

Ehh, they're more subtle these days but they've found massgraves with hundreds of bodies in them linked to cartels for example

yeah, I know and is equally bad but Pablo was blowing up planes and bombs in the streets. People usually dont give a gently caress about gang-related deaths or even the poor innocent that gets caught in the middle, but when you start blowing up people in spectacular ways and outside the usual miserable suburbs and rural areas, you reach another level of public threat

Holyshoot posted:

True, once you start killing innocent non browns (like the plane bombing) then people start to notice.

Yeah

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 3, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really liked how his bombing of the plane came back to haunt him when he tried to send his family out of the country.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Not really TV related, but if you interested in narco cartels/gangs in Latin America:

http://veja.abril.com.br/brasil/carandiru-como-o-massacre-de-111-presos-levou-a-criacao-do-pcc/

Is about the brazilian PCC (Primeiro Comando da Capital), a gang that originated in prison rebellions in São Paulo as a "prisoner syndicate" of sorts (brazilian prisons are really really bad), then evolved to became the nº 1 criminal organization in São Paulo, then in Brazil, and now its becoming international, expanding to neighbouring coke producer countries like Paraguay, while also making deals and alliances with african gangs and even ME terrorist organizations

And now, becouse of that, its been calling itself "Narcosul" (a pun with Mercosul)

edit: while big, PCC is still far from what Pablo was in his best days: the amount of money PCC moves in 2 months is what Pablo did in 1 week

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 5, 2016

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Zzulu posted:

quote:

The Cali Cartel had participated in social cleansing of hundreds of "desechables" (English: discardables). The desechables included prostitutes, street children, petty thieves, homosexuals and the homeless. Along with some of the locals, the Cali Cartel formed parties self-named grupos de limpieza social (English: social cleansing groups) who murdered the "desechables," often leaving them with signs on them stating: "Cali limpia, Cali linda" (English: clean Cali, beautiful Cali). The bodies of those murdered were often tossed into the Cauca River, which later became known as the River of Death. The municipality of Marsella in Risaralda was eventually bankrupted by the cost of recovering corpses and conducting autopsies.

Why did the Cali Cartel bother? Was this cartel starting to think of itself as the government? I hope the show covers this because so far the main guy in charge of the Cali cartel has seemed much smarter about being discrete with the business.

If I were in charge of a drug cartel I'd tell my lieutenants to knock that poo poo off and focus only on discretely producing and selling product. Pablo made the same mistake, stay quiet and off the radar make it almost impossible to prove legally there is any involvement with a drug cartel. Also last rule never ever piss off the United States.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
If you were smart and practical you wouldn't run a drug cartel.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Couple of reasons:
1. You give your sicarios some training, check procedures and use it as a test for new hires
2. They legit think it's their duty to care for their community. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't start with a rumor of a homeless dude killing some kid.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Anyone else catch a 'Pakistani Pena' vibe from that viral photo of the handsome Pakistani guy? On my phone so it's difficult to post.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I finally finished this season after falling off midway through. It's loving great. That last episode was surprisingly poetic, and it's almost unfair how sympathetic they make Pablo, because they don't pull punches with his brutality or his hypocrisy. Wagner Moura deserves way more credit than he's been getting for pulling that off, especially since he's apparently not a native speaker.

A soft reboot S3 that refocuses to the Cali cartel (and presumably new DEA protagonists) sounds fantastic. Because, to be honest, my least favorite component of the show is Murphy's overwritten cowboy narration. It's perfectly consistent with his character as-presented, but he's such an arrogant douchebag that I just wanted him to shut up half the time.

My favorite sequence of the season: when Pablo's mom goes to mass, and gets tailed back to the hideout. That entire shootout, the escape, and the aftermath are gold. Pablo resigning himself to burning stacks of cash to keep his family warm is just symbolically perfect.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Xealot posted:

and presumably new DEA protagonists

Since the final episode ends with Pena being asked "What do you know about the Cali cartel?" or something like that I'm guessing at least he is staying in?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Griefor posted:

Since the final episode ends with Pena being asked "What do you know about the Cali cartel?" or something like that I'm guessing at least he is staying in?

Possible. I don't know if IRL Peña had any connection to the Cali investigation, but it's not like historical reality stopped them before.

But Pedro Pascal is awesome, so that sounds fine to me.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Xealot posted:

my least favorite component of the show is Murphy's overwritten cowboy narration. It's perfectly consistent with his character as-presented, but he's such an arrogant douchebag that I just wanted him to shut up half the time.

When Murphy's narration gets cut off by reality in that last episode is just the perfect end to his narration so I hope if they go with the narration again it's from Pena's perspective.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
I finally caught up with this show and it's so good. I read that they've renewed it for seasons 3 and 4. S3 is obviously going to focus on Cali, but will that go on for S4 as well? I'm way more interested in Mexico going forward, and with a completely new cast there's just so much material for them to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

An interview with the showrunners claimed they want to take it all the way to El Chapo and the Sinaloa cartel. So if that happens, you'll get your wish.

• Locked thread