Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

pittsburgh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What is known today as Pittsburgh's North Side was once known as Allegheny City, and operated as a city independently of Pittsburgh. Allegheny City merged with Pittsburgh under great protest from its citizens.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

haveblue posted:

What is known today as Pittsburgh's North Side was once known as Allegheny City, and operated as a city independently of Pittsburgh. Allegheny City merged with Pittsburgh under great protest from its citizens.

Even Pittsburgh hates Pittsburgh!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

where's the best burg in 'burgh?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Shittsturd.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the Pirates should move to the eastern, it sucks that the 3 good nl teams are all in the same conference

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

St Evan Echoes posted:

the Pirates should move to the eastern, it sucks that the 3 good nl teams are all in the same conference

The Pirates were in the East until 1994. They moved to Central during expansion because the Braves didn't want to (despite being further west).

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 2, 2016

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
With unbalanced scheduling, the Pirates would have won like 110 games if they were in the East last year. Those teams all blow.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
I used to love the tenderloin until I made some tender coin
Then I met some ladies from Philadelphia
We took the highway to the one up the plains to catch some sun
That left me with these blisters on my skin

Don't know what I was on but I think it grows in New Jersey
So I kept on going, going on right through
I drove into Atlantic City rain, fell in love then missed the train
That could have took me right back home to you

I've been high, I've been low
I've been yes and I've been oh, hell no
I've been rock 'n' roll and disco
Won't you save me Pittsburgh?

Every day so caffeinated, I wish they were Golden Gated
Fillmore couldn't feel 2576 miles away
So wrap me up return to sender, let's forget this five year bender
Take me to my city by the steelyards

I never knew all that I had, now Allegheny don't sound so bad
At least they have a hell of a fine Pirates
If I could wish upon a star I would hitch a cable car
To the place that I can always call my own

I've been high, I've been low

I've been up, I've been down
I've been so drat lost since you're not around
I've been reggae and calypso

To tell you the truth I miss everything, everything
It's a wild, wild beautiful world
But there's a wide eyed girl back there
And she means everything, everything

I've been stop, I've been go

I've been up, I've been down
I've been so drat lost since you're not around
I've been reggae and calypso

Save me Pittsburgh
Save me Pittsburgh

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

St Evan Echoes posted:

eh

they do it by geographic clustering, so strictly east-west doesn't quite work

besides, for a while it was the opposite way

you had the mets, braves, and phillies killing it in the nl east, while the cardinals basically beat the poo poo out of pittsburgh, chicago, cincinatti, houston, and milwaukee forever

maybe cinci or milwaukee got good for one of those years

maybe

we arent too far removed from the pirates finally breaking their consecutive seasons without a winning season streak

there were almost people in pittsburgh who would've been old enough to legally drink who never saw the pirates notch a winning season

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

ayn rand hand job posted:

eh

they do it by geographic clustering, so strictly east-west doesn't quite work

besides, for a while it was the opposite way

you had the mets, braves, and phillies killing it in the nl east, while the cardinals basically beat the poo poo out of pittsburgh, chicago, cincinatti, houston, and milwaukee forever

maybe cinci or milwaukee got good for one of those years

maybe

we arent too far removed from the pirates finally breaking their consecutive seasons without a winning season streak

there were almost people in pittsburgh who would've been old enough to legally drink who never saw the pirates notch a winning season

Pirates in the NL Central has nothing to do with geographic clustering, every NL East team except the Braves is closer to Pittsburgh than Chicago is. The pirates were in the NL East for 34 years.

The ONLY reason the Pirates are in the NL Central now is that when the Florida Marlins were created in 1993, the Braves were going to be moved to the NL Central but they pitched a fit because they felt that they could develop a rivalry with the Marlins. The Pirates got moved instead.

The rivalry never happened and the Pirates have languished in a division they don't belong in ever since.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 2, 2016

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Laffo at this guy who was completely wrong about how Pittsburgh ended up in the division it's in.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Citizen Tayne posted:

Pirates in the NL Central has nothing to do with geographic clustering, every NL East team except the Braves is closer to Pittsburgh than Chicago is. The pirates were in the NL East for 34 years.

The ONLY reason the Pirates are in the NL Central now is that when the Florida Marlins were created in 1993, the Braves were going to be moved to the NL Central but they pitched a fit because they felt that they could develop a rivalry with the Marlins. The Pirates got moved instead.

The rivalry never happened and the Pirates have languished in a division they don't belong in ever since.

actually i thought i mentioned "blame the marlins because they need to be in the east and atlanta's a logical stop on the way for raod trips" in the post, but i guess i edited out

also i guess blame the nl for not having the dh, so you can't swap teams freely like in the nhl/nba

just imaging someone like david ortiz crushing shots out of pnc all day

gorgeous

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

ayn rand hand job posted:

actually i thought i mentioned "blame the marlins because they need to be in the east and atlanta's a logical stop on the way for raod trips" in the post, but i guess i edited out

also i guess blame the nl for not having the dh, so you can't swap teams freely like in the nhl/nba

just imaging someone like david ortiz crushing shots out of pnc all day

gorgeous

Ban the DH. The day Pittsburgh baseball has a DH is the day I start following another team. Using a Dh completely changes the character of the game.

I do not give a gently caress about watching David Ortiz launch blasts out of PNC Park all day. I care about good baseball, on both sides of the ball.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Citizen Tayne posted:

Laffo at this guy who was completely wrong about how Pittsburgh ended up in the division it's in.

Actually, they belong in the central division with their fellow Midwestern cities

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

maniacdevnull posted:

Actually, they belong in the central division with their fellow Midwestern cities

Don't argue with me about Pittsburgh being a northeastern city, blame the Census Bureau.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
hello friends this has been a real good thread about pittsburgh since we changed it and i hope you've enjoyed it as much as i have. but it's time to move on, and i've amended the forum rules.

good luck and god bless

• Locked thread