Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

ramming (no observable side-effects, yadda yadda yadda) doesn't intersect with any notion of "time", right?

neither time as a quantity to be measured nor as a limited resource to be conserved applies to purely functional programmers, right??

this makes computer science education, which is the single biggest exporter of functional programming look kinda ridiculous imho

if CS professors were required to include time in their turing machine proofs then the expressiveness of formal systems solving computing problems like P and NP could be easily categorized by how little time they use. this would at least double the usefulness of those systems instantly, probably !

after all, someone who talks fast and makes sense has way more expressive power IRL than someone who just meanders and never gets to the point, so why not in academia too

just IMHO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
so are you saying time doesn't matter, because it really comes down achieving the least amount of instructions?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
★┷┓
┃S┃
┃H┃
┃I┃
┃T┃
┃P┃
┃O┃
┃S┃
┃T┃
┃I┃
┃N┃
┃G┃
┗━★

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
hmmm y ou raise an interesting point

on the other hand http://digg.com/video/put-a-face-to-deez-nuts

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
wait a second, I think there's a pun happening

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

quote:

Tales of Maj’Eyal (ToME) is a free, open source roguelike RPG, featuring tactical turn-based combat and advanced character building. Play as one of many unique races and classes in the lore-filled world of Eyal, exploring random dungeons, facing challenging battles, and developing characters with your own tailored mix of abilities and powers. With a modern graphical and customisable interface, intuitive mouse control, streamlined mechanics and deep, challenging combat, Tales of Maj’Eyal offers engaging roguelike gameplay for the 21st century.

The continent of Maj’Eyal lives in a relative peace. After millennia of war the orcs are extinct, the advanced races have allied together, and the evils of magic have been repressed. But there are still untamed forests, cursed lands, marauding bandits, sealed dungeons of undead, and whispers spread of hidden cults of mages. Some even say the orcs are not all dead, and muster their strength in dark places.

You are an adventurer, seeking your fortune in the open world, investigating ruins and mysteries in search of riches and powers. Explore a continent still scarred by the terrible Spellblaze from ages past, teeming with wild beasts, monsters, trolls and giants. Delve through dark dungeons infested by armies of undead, demonic monstrosities and hideous horrors. Uncover world changing secrets, from relics of the ancient and all-powerful Sher’Tul race to veiled cities of magic and concealed psionic beings. Fight with skill and care against undying necromancers, towering dragons, primeval forces, arcane demons and world-threatening powers.

Take part in an epic fantasy adventure like no other, engaging both your imagination and your intelligence, demanding thought and attention to succeed. Winner of the Roguelike of the Year award 2010, 2011 and 2012, Tales of Maj’Eyal is backed by constant development and an active, friendly community that have together invested over 340 years of total playtime. 203 players are playing right now – why not join them?

Download and have fun!

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

POS never ran right. It was better when it was a hosed up tolkien rip off.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

★┷┓
┃S┃
┃H┃
┃I┃
┃T┃
┃P┃
┃O┃
┃S┃
┃T┃
┃I┃
┃N┃
┗━★

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
agreed, op. functional programming is academic wankery with no real world value

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

what about frp

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
the sum of an object's four dimensional vector is always equal to the speed of light

an object at relative rest is moving through time at the speed of light, while an object moving at the speed of light is not moving through time at all

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thats what ive been trying to tell people for ages but they never listen

also thanks for saying it like that. makes a lot of sense now. i had naturally held that theory since learning about relativity etc but never come across it actually put as something that could be proved or whatnot (not sure of words i am looking for)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

:gizz:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

echinopsis posted:

thats what ive been trying to tell people for ages but they never listen

also thanks for saying it like that. makes a lot of sense now. i had naturally held that theory since learning about relativity etc but never come across it actually put as something that could be proved or whatnot (not sure of words i am looking for)

it's a direct consequence of the Lorentz equation. relative acceleration in any spatial dimension is a rotation of the vector of motion away from time and towards space. relative time slows down while motion through space speeds up.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

vhat da making GBS threads gently caress

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it's feynmanns way of explaining complex numbers or an application of that towards probabilities or something?

it's to do with how every photon takes every possible path including ones you'd assume only clown photons would take but the probabilities for the photon actually ending up going the clown way is really low and you can use a spinning clock and add up the arrows and it tells you the probability

The Management posted:

it's a direct consequence of the Lorentz equation. relative acceleration in any spatial dimension is a rotation of the vector of motion away from time and towards space. relative time slows down while motion through space speeds up.

owns

pram
Jun 10, 2001
that sounds really boring lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i majored in economics btw a real science

verily carefree
Apr 5, 2014

hmm. indeed.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

pram posted:

fixed-point theorem is pretty neat I hope you don't think that's boring too

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i almost certainly do

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pram posted:

goldmine

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

why is the light not reflecting properly

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what do you mean? you mean at the angle
of incidence? that's showing what is actually happening at a physical level but why it does reflect at the angle of incidence irl

pram posted:

I wish I had done money science coz I want to be not poor but I love physics just not te maths but the ideas. read the Feynman lectures they rule as gently caress

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

echinopsis posted:

what do you mean? you mean at the angle
of incidence? that's showing what is actually happening at a physical level but why it does reflect at the angle of incidence irl

I wish I had done money science coz I want to be not poor but I love physics just not te maths but the ideas. read the Feynman lectures they rule as gently caress

I mean eg the first one straight down doesn't bounce back up even tho it's bouncing off something horizontal

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that's what actually happens though. just a low probability of that path being taken. every photon takes every path! only the most probabilistic resolve though

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

echinopsis posted:

that's what actually happens though. just a low probability of that path being taken. every photon takes every path! only the most probabilistic resolve though

oh its supposed to be the quantum mechanical picture?

then it shouldn't just be straight lines. u sum over all paths. jfc do it right or not at all

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
idk I just reposted a gif it's meant to help you understand a concept not be an accurate depiction who cares

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
here's the source, I found it with my internet detective skills: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Feynmans_QED_probability_amplitudes.gif

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Symbolic Butt posted:

here's the source, I found it with my internet detective skills: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Feynmans_QED_probability_amplitudes.gif

I get what it's trying to show but it's kind of wrong and misleading

wave interference is better

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it's feynmanns thing he's way smarter and cooler than you tell use how it's wrong . it's a way of summing probabilities

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

echinopsis posted:

it's feynmanns thing he's way smarter and cooler than you tell use how it's wrong . it's a way of summing probabilities

its not summing all paths only those in straight lines until they hit the wall. it should have all random walks between beginning and end point weighted by action of the path. hth

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate I just got that off the Wikipedia. if it's wrong and you know what's right then it's your moral duty to humanity to fix it or produce a superior one. no excuses it's Friday night soon what else u gon b doin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

r i p :(

• Locked thread