Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
My original plan was to run to Jerret with my magnifying glass in tow, being all like "With this and your suit we can jump start the engine," but since he's gone ahead with the plan without my help and me aiding him can't get his roll to 10+ I'm imagining Usopp running to the engine room just in time to witness Jerret already powering up the engine with his suit, going "Okay, or I guess we could do that," and suffering the consequences of Jerret's roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am. :smug:

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Just in case snyo e was waiting on a post from me, Cy has little to add unless he needs to port in to suddenly ninja-fix something

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Captain Godolphin Gett

Damage 1d6 | Armour 1 | HP 20/20 | XP 1/8 | Map 0 | Trade 1 | Hold 0

Captain Gett snapped shut his spyglass and stowed it back in his pouch, frowning. When the cat's eye had been implanted in replacement of the one he had gambled away, he had hoped that perhaps it would allow him to see in the dark, but it appeared that wasn't the case.

"Master Solaspon, if Mr. Roarke and Chief Usopp can get us powered enough, I wish to press on into this cavern and see what wonders await us. What is your professional opinion? Speaking of which..."

While the Gunnery Master considered his response, Gett leaned over to the speaking tube that connected him to the engine room.

"Mr. Roarke, Chief Usopp. What is our status? I need to know if we can move forward or if we will be retreating."

Turning, he noticed Cy looking out over the gunwhales as well, taking in the surroundings. Gett hesitated a moment, then spoke.

"Mr. Cy. Your singular abilities may be able to clear something up for us. Are you able to scout ahead and report on what might await us in the next cavern?"

hey guys, sorry I was gone for so long but I'm back!

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Luka Solaspon
/19 HP; 0 Armor, 5/8 XP

Luka recites from their diary, "I think there's a ghost ship in there with creepy green lights and a crew of dead people reanimated by a serum refined from world tree sap by some evil orchid, and they're waiting to lure people in, board them, kill them, and take all their stuff. The tip off you got from the one kraa was bait because you were the second richest and greediest person he knew--the first having been the owner and captain of the first and now-ghost ship. If the harbinger had failed to entice you or another suitable mark, his undead crew would have hunted him down in the night and dragged him back into this treecave screaming while they slowly ate him alive or, worse, turned him into one of them--" They fake taking a breath for effect.

"--OR, it's some kind of huge tentacled mutant that crawled up from the depths or fell from outer space that can hypnotize creatures with their otherworldly bioluminescence and desires sunstones the biggest of which it found out can be harvested from crashed ships..."

Luka goes on to pass the time while the eggheads fix the ship. Then they perk up and reach for Gett's belt pouch.

"Ah, that gives me an idea, lend me your spyglass and I'll see if there are any eyes out there that I can try to gaze into. Make sure I don't get hypnotized by the thing."

Combining the spyglass w/ the spotlight. Looking for a Discern Realities trigger and/or Give Me Fuel, Give me Fire. Here's my speculative roll in case that is triggered.

Discern Realities: 2d6+2 9

What should I be on the lookout for?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Captain Godolphin Gett

Damage 1d6 | Armour 1 | HP 20/20 | XP 1/8 | Map 0 | Trade 1 | Hold 0

"Delightful fantasies, Master Solaspon, I believe that you missed your calling. But drinking the sap of the tree? The very idea. It stretches credibility that anyone could be that foolhardy."

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Cy
HP: 8/16 | debility: N/A | Armor: 1 | XP: 1/8 | Tick: 1 | Tock: 1 | Moment Hold: 1

From somewhere nearby comes the darkly sinister humourless chuckle of Cy.

- - -

Real post coming some time tomorrow when I'm not exhausted from work! :)

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Cy
HP: 8/16 | debility: N/A | Armor: 1 | XP: 1/8 | Tick: 1 | Tock: 1 | Moment Hold: 1

Cy skirted the outer edge of the pit, his eyes boring down into that accursed darkness. So far from the warming touch of Solas that the great fiery orb almost might as well not exist. Flitting and prowling from one spot to another. Oh he could go down, he could go down at any time. But the question was, what was the cost. Few creatures to survive purely in the dark of the great tree. Whatever could be living down there would be bad news. He would have to be careful.

- - -

Discern Realities: Observe the cavern: 2d6+1 6
+1XP

- - -

But his wounds still burnt, for someone who could stretch a single second into years, such pain was hard to ignore. Distracting his normally focused vision.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm still here! Work deadlines and Fallout 4 coming at the same time is a hell of a drug. I'll have a post soon!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
posting to say "hi".

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So, to clarify what's happening:
  • Jerret has powered up the ship with his engineering genius (with a drawback or two, naturally).
  • Captain Gett intends to keep the ship on its current bearing into the cavern with the glowy things.
  • Cy is dangerously close and checking out what could be out there in the darkness
Do I have that right? Especially on the ship's bearing. I'll GM post (for real this time) once that's confirmed!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
For Jerret: yeah pretty much.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bumping to check in with Cap'n Gett and Cy.

Sorry for the delays in posting--been a busy couple of weeks. You can look forward to at least two or three posts a week from now on, once we get this one off the ground.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Oh, yes, sorry. Cy is doing that. I didn't realise you were actually asking me. Reading comprehension? What's that?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Hey, sorry, yeah- provided we have enough power to fight and escape as needed, we'll be going forward. If not, we'll limp out of the borehole.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

On deck, you can all feel a sharp jolt as the ship's engines suddenly spring to life.

Jerret, from your perspective, things seem to be mostly working as intended. Mostly. You can already tell that you might have shot a bit too much etheric juice into this thing's crystal array--a few of the peripheral crystals are already starting to crack. This'll power the ship for a decent amount of time, but if you all push too hard, the cracked crystals might just burst and spill etheric energy all over the engine room. If you've ever seen an uncontrolled ether leak, you'd know this probably isn't a great thing.

At Captain Gett's orders, the Heaven continues forward toward the dark hollow. The ship isn't flying as smoothly as you'd like, but it's going, and as long as you don't punch it too hard, you should be fine.

slydingdoor posted:

Discern Realities: 2d6+2 9

What should I be on the lookout for?

The closer you get, Luka, the more you can tell the lights are moving, and they're moving together. They're either schooling cloudfish (unlikely) or all part of one organism. Once you shine the spotlight into the hollow, there's no more doubt:

This is an absolutely giant worm. Its hide, or skin, or chitin, or something looks like it's flecked with shards of green shine, if something like that existed. (And if something like that existed, oh boy, would that be a rare and wonderful find!) It's not clear if this is the worm that made the borehole you flew in on--if anything, the borehole seems a bit small. Maybe someone knowledgeable in the tree's fauna would know what this thing is called.

The worm is also pretty quick--quicker than you were expecting, Cy. A tendril from its side darts out, wrapping around your middle and pinning your left arm. You could barely see anything before it hit you but a blur of green and the glow of Luka's spotlight, but now it's pulling you into the hollow, squeezing as if to crush.

What do you do?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Luka Solaspon
/19 HP; 0 Armor, 5/8 XP

Luka's eye lenses glitter green, "So beautiful... also HAH--huge tentacled mutant. I win! What do I win?" Then the worm grabs Cy. "No!" Still harnessed in a rope, the solaspon leaps off overboard and swings into the gun deck, shouting orders all the way, "Ready the bar shot, chain shot, star shot! Aim for the thing! Finger! Tail!" That should cut them free, but it's closer ranged shot than what was used before. "Fire!"

Cannon Volley; damage: 2d6+3 8 2d6 9
You have to move to get the shot placing you in danger as described by the GM.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Jerret Roarke
HP: 19/21 Suit Condition: Dinged and thoroughly wired into the ship | Cannon ammo: 1/2 | debility: | Armor 0 | XP 1/7

So far, so good.
The engines hum at significantly higher RPMs than usual. And increasing. I take note of this fact, and the cracking of the sunstone crystals. This could be problematic.
I grab a spanner, and begin torquing to Aetheric regulators between HAL and my half-baked interface to the ship. I need to ease back on the flow, but if I do it too quickly the energetic differential in the weakened crystal's matrices will cause a simultaneous entropic cascade in their structural integrity. Aka BOOM. Needless to say, that would be bad.
Defy Danger (INT) 11
Boosh! :haw:

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Captain Godolphin Gett

Damage 1d6 | Armour 1 | HP 20/20 | XP 1/8 | Map 0 | Trade 1 | Hold 2

Gett narrowed his eyes, his remaining original one glinting with greed. Shine..and green shine at that. Green shine, pulled from the depths of the tree itself, from a horrible mutant...what a haul. What a haul, and what a tale.

Gett gripped the wheel of his ship, feeling it responsive once again as whatever power Mr. Roarke had arranged for spun the shrieking turbines.

"We'll draw it out!" he shouted, his plan forming in patterns only he could see. "Or at least a part of it! And then we'll shoot it apart and harvest that green shine! Our fortunes will be made!"

Swashbuckling: 2d6+2 8

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Cy
HP: 8/16 | debility: N/A | Armor: 1 | XP: 2/8 | Tick: 1 | Tock: 1 | Moment Hold: 1

Cy hissed at the tentacle wrapped around him, his sword arm was still free. He just needed to try and get his blade in the right place, he wouldn't be able to slice through this thing entierly, if it was hunting things like that spider it's flesh would be tough, but all he needed was for it to loosen its grip enough for him to escape.

- - -
Spending my last point of Moment hold to roll Defy Danger +INT
Defy Danger +INT: 2d6+2 9

- - -

He slid the blade between himself and the muscle mass of the worm. Waiting for the moment to make his escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sorry for the Thanksgiving delay everyone. Ratpick, do you want to do an Usopp post before I GM post?

• Locked thread