Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
no_one
Mar 17, 2004
i'm a lying jerk
Lipstick Apathy
Hi, my parents gateway computer is getting flakey and overheating and crashing. It's my old ABIT kt7a with a T-bird 1.33 ghz processor.

They are looking to replace it and I suggested these 2 computers:

http://www.ginger6.com/intel-haswell-core-i3-i5-i7-custom-built-pc.html

or

http://www.ginger6.com/amd-home-office-custom-built-pc-p-35075.html

it needs to have three lan connections, but both motherboards seem to support that with 1 onboard gigabit lan and 2 pci-e expansion slots.

Is there any major difference between the two or should we go with the AMD 'cause it is £10 cheaper.

Noise is a factor also as it will be in my dads office so quieter is better.

Or does anyone have a suggestion for a cheap PC with 3 LAN ports?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

no_one
Mar 17, 2004
i'm a lying jerk
Lipstick Apathy
My parents actually have 3 WAP54G on their network, but because of how the house is laid out there is no one sweet spot to put the wireless access point to cover the whole thing. At the moment they have one wireless access point in the 'granny annexe', one upstairs at the far end of the house and one downstairs by the cable modem. Because the signal has to go through what were once external walls it is difficult to get everyone to have a solid connection.

Does the WRT54G give a stronger signal than the WAP54G?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'd ditch the PC option and look at something like a Microtik or Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite. No sense in running a desktop computer for something that can be handled by a cheap appliance these days.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I'm not familiar with smoothwall, are you using it for more than routing and firewall?

edit: what the guy above me said

no_one
Mar 17, 2004
i'm a lying jerk
Lipstick Apathy
It is being used for cable modem in, green network ( mine and my dads PC on wired lan) and the purple(i think) interface which is the 3 WAP.

I does seem like overkill abit if there is some better hardware for this I am all ears.

Our cable modem can do a similar job but then you are limited in terms of wireless to the signal at the other end of the house which is not good enough for skype or streaming iplayer.

I will look into Microtik or Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite thx for the advice.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Just pick up an asus whatever or airport express and stop geeking out over your parents network setup.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
5k imac /w 3 thunderbolt to ethernet adapters

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

no_one posted:

It is being used for cable modem in, green network ( mine and my dads PC on wired lan) and the purple(i think) interface which is the 3 WAP.

I does seem like overkill abit if there is some better hardware for this I am all ears.

Our cable modem can do a similar job but then you are limited in terms of wireless to the signal at the other end of the house which is not good enough for skype or streaming iplayer.

I will look into Microtik or Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite thx for the advice.

Just buy a $100 c7 router

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
"Intel Haswell Core i3 i5 i7" is the description of that computer, but it has a Celeron in it. lol

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Can it run FreeBSD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

akadajet posted:

Can it run FreeBSD?

prolly. maybe try a JunOS image on it, even