Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yuncemil
Jul 18, 2006

Wie sagt man "olol" auf Deutsch?
I'm looking for the best commercial software available, yet Google isn't really my friend. Most of the reviews and recommendations are for free software, but I am looking for something up to around $100-$150. I'm not a tech pro by any means, but I am doing small computer fixing jobs in my town and many of them want/need files recovered. Free software seems to have limitations to what you can recover, or just plain doesn't find everything... so I am looking for ideas on what I should buy before I pay good money for something! It also doesn't help that most reviews I might find useful are about 5 years out of date.

My priority is accurate and comprehensive file finding/recovery. Obviously speed and ease of use are beneficial, but I mostly want to find as many files as possible. I'd prefer a half-decent GUI, though it doesn't matter too much if it's a little clunky - so long as it's usable. Speed is probably least important.

If anyone has some input, I would be grateful to hear it. Once again, I wish Google was a little more helpful for things like this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
At the very end of this page you'll find a bunch of free and commercial tools that goons have recommended over the years. Prices and details are from 2012 because I'm far too lazy to keep them updated.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

also interested. tried out recuva, it listed something like a hundred thousand recoverable files, but only recovers 6000 of them, and 90% of them are 0kbs :(

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

I just recently used Stellar Phoenix Home edition to pull a ton of data off a computer that had been wiped and setup as a new Windows install (probably a quick format was used). I got back most everything in the /users file tree and loads of pictures and music and those super critical Quickbooks business files that they never backed up to removable media. :rolleyes:

Scanning speed was good, the recovery process was painless and it had sensible defaults for how it ran. I'm giving it a thumbs up, especially for the price the customer paid. http://www.stellarinfo.com/disk-recovery/windows-data-recovery/buy-now.php

Not too shabby. I think I had a coupon or something to knock the price down a little further.

I've had okay results with the PC Inspector free stuff but it is usually disappointing in what it can recover, the length of scan time and its general stability. More often than not I've had it glitch out completely and not begin to scan at all. It's free so I got what I paid for.

I think I've seen and used R-Studio's product but that was a while ago. It was decent as well.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I've had a lot of good results with Data rescue, plenty of times it has found usable files that Recuva thought were unreadable. It also has a learning functionality if you need to recover non-standard filetypes, just drag a few examples of the file you need found into the program and it then knows what to look for.
GUI is pretty neat, spinning platters with 1s and 0s zipping everywhere and running tallies of filetypes discovered, speed of the program is as you'd expect for intense data recovery.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Nothing but another anecdote and application for the pile: https://www.z-a-recovery.com/

Had a copy of this at a previous job, seemed to work alright.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Testdisk is my usual go to for file recovery. It's a VERY powerful tool.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Ive used getdataback for a long time and its been excellent.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

r-studio works great. It is expensive for a one time problem

immelman
Oct 6, 2014
I second Getdataback. I've used it a few times at work and once myself when I messed up a ntfs resize. The software is straightforward to use and worked every time for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Getdataback is also free to try, no adware or stupid poo poo. You can see if your stuff atleast shows up.

• Locked thread