Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Because I'm apparently insane, I want to hone my (text) translation skills by translating some of my fanfics into Mandarin Chinese (because I figure, since I wrote those stories, I have the best chance at getting across the original author intent).

So far I'm hitting a skill wall because my English to Chinese skills aren't as good as I'd like to think they are, but I also have some philosophy/resource issues that I could use advice on. (And I could definitely use someone fluent in Chinese to help me figure out what I'm doing wrong in my translations because they are not reading like proper Chinese at all.)

Here's some issues I've been running into:
-- Is there an industry wide rule/guideline for inserting and/or removing words that weren't in the original in order to clarify the meaning of the text? So far I've been using [brackets] in English and (parentheses) in Chinese.
-- When I come across a name that doesn't have an official transliteration, should I pick characters that simply sound alike, or try to "localize" the name so it has the same meaning?
-- I can handwave translation convention (i.e. everyone "speaks" whatever language the story is in)for single-language plots, but what about multiple language ones? How do I portray the foreign language? Should I just have it be incomprehensible to the viewpoint character, or allow for some kind of bilingual bonus?
-- How do I portray accents in Chinese? Where could I find resources about how to portray regional dialects anyway?
-- In translating dialogue, should I try to reflect the speaker's intellectual/educational level as closely as I can, or go for clarity of meaning?
-- Is there some kind of resource on Chinese slang? (Being super sheltered growing up means I know pitifully few cuss words.)

I'm my own mind-altering substance. 8)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread