Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
Without getting into the nitty gritty of it, my counselor has recommended speed dating to me as a way to move myself out of a social rut and get some experience interacting with complete strangers in a purely social environment.

So, any goons have experience with this kind of deal, like Lock and Key Events or anything similar? What were the upsides and the downsides? Did you have fun? Any insight into what my experience as a younger person (21) would be? What do I need to watch out for, if anything?

Any and all insight would be appreciated :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Use internet dating for dating and meetups for the group activity. I guess if you are in/ near a college it might not be completely terrible but really there are much better ways to accomplish what you are trying to do.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
That sounds like a very nice and efficient way to chat up and meet people as broken as you.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

tsa posted:

Use internet dating for dating and meetups for the group activity. I guess if you are in/ near a college it might not be completely terrible but really there are much better ways to accomplish what you are trying to do.

I'd second that for online meetups. I moved to a foreign country two years ago and worked unsociable hours, I used meetup.com to build a new social life from near scratch. Picking the right meetup for you is quite important, the biggest and most universal groups like board games/video games are okay but the one I enjoyed the most and kept attending was amateur dramatics/script readings.

Be prepared to hang out with people twice your age or even older, don't let your age or theirs be a barrier to enjoying their company.

• Locked thread