Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

haveblue posted:

Opinions differ on 5. It was a big improvement on 4 and especially 3 in terms of telling a story with plausible through-lines and connective tissue. It's still got cheap shock moments and exploitation but it was never not going to be a basic cable horror show. A lot of people were simply amazed that Lady Gaga turned out to be a not-terrible actress.

Thread consensus on season ratings:

[gap]
[large gap]

The only reason to watch Season 5 is Evan Peters killing it as March and Denis O'Hare as Liz Taylor. If someone compiled just those scenes, that'd be worth watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Devil's Night stuff was solid, albeit obvious and cartoonish.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Don't forget KathyBatesMemorial.mov

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I still stand by Coven being better than Freakshow by virtue of it entertaining me all the way through. I fell asleep during more than one episode of Freakshow.

e: Coven was like a really sloppy prototype for what Scream Queens would be, and Scream Queens is great.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
freakshow is so boring, but I do like the amount of man rear end.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Pops Mgee posted:

Also killing off one of the most annoying characters in 3

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Tired Moritz posted:

freakshow is so boring, but I do like the amount of man rear end.

Season 6 could just be "AHS: Tall Brunette Men with Great Asses" and I don't think anyone would complain.

Maybe throw some tits in there.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

haveblue posted:

Opinions differ on 5. It was a big improvement on 4 and especially 3 in terms of telling a story with plausible through-lines and connective tissue. It's still got cheap shock moments and exploitation but it was never not going to be a basic cable horror show. A lot of people were simply amazed that Lady Gaga turned out to be a not-terrible actress.

[gap]
[large gap]

I'd put 4 below that large gap, possibly even below 3.

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

haveblue posted:

[gap]
[large gap]

I would switch 1 and 2 just because season 1 was the first foray into AHS and it set a pretty high bar. The first 10 minutes of the 1st episode had me totally confused and fascinated. Plus, cry-masturbation is my favorite scene next to the hotline bling cry/get shot scene last season. Asylum was so much darker/scarier than anything else that it should really be in a category all to itself- I don't think any of AHS will get to that level again, its become too pulpy/zany/off the rails at times. Coven will always be the worst.

I said I wouldn't watch again after Vampire Boarding School last season but gently caress it, Roanoke sounds cool and I'm excited to have my hopes raised and dashed expertly.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Pops Mgee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFPBRWOB4H4
Full unreleased version from press kit.

:byodame: HEAR ME ROAR! :byodame: <3 ~~

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

haveblue posted:

[gap]
[large gap]

Freakshow had its moments early on with the clown and Dandy but that went off the rails real quick into super boring with a ton of comeuppance and unneeded explanations. Coven tried too hard to send equality messages in a medium that didn't need or was appropriate for it, then Stevie Nicks.

Violet getting impaled on a spike was the equivalent of Dexter's kid falling off a treadmill.

Season 2 was good and I liked it a lot but there was just something really charming about Murder House. It was refreshing to see characters die and stay dead in crappy cable TV. It also had a really cool 'hit close to home' feel by having all those internal family problems tearing apart a normal suburban neighborhood. O'Hare torching his kids and being obsessed with Jessica Lange was like the perfect use of Lange as a character actor.

Season 5 was solid. It wasn't really scary and was totally ridiculous at times but I liked the cheesy story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788261

• Locked thread