Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam

Splatmaster posted:

I can very easily see someone in the not too distant future watching it for the first time and saying "hey, mom- that was recorded 2d on location in space, right?"

haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision

by VideoGames
stanley kubrick in fact WAS hired to fake a moon landing, however, he insisted on doing by actually filming it on the moon. it ranks as one of his lesser works due to a weak script, i mean the only good line was used in every trailer

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Damp Star Baby

Staying Legend. CA Exempt DEATH

precision posted:

stanley kubrick in fact WAS hired to fake a moon landing, however, he insisted on doing by actually filming it on the moon. it ranks as one of his lesser works due to a weak script, i mean the only good line was used in every trailer

It was already the 11th in the series, and only served to spawn 6 other less than noteworthy sequels

I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create. - William Blake

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
i used to be a projectionist back when we had physical film (real), and there was a huge amount of downtime. the boys who worked the other shifts had a gym up there and worked out. me? I took the reels labeled to be sent to the second run theater, and spliced them together to make it seem like the characters from different movies were talking to each other, then I'd send them out. eventually my theater went out of business because everyone went to see the spliced films.

Qwerinty fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 10, 2015

----------------

joke_explainer

alnilam posted:

And yet exactly this is one of the neatest aspects of 2001. HAL is absolutely the only character with any, uh, humanity. All of the living humans are flat, cold, and professional. HAL shows curiosity, embarrassment, interest in the well being of his crew (for a time at least), and fear of death.

True, but this was by design -- Dave Bowman and his colleague were representing the ultimate 'astronaut' aesthetic: An unfeeling, completely stable even under pressure human who follows a routine schedule, trying to make rational, logical decisions devoid of passion. Basically what mission control wishes all astronauts embodied perfectly. Kubrick seems to have been imagining him the 'man of tomorrow', all of the suppressed humanity needed to function like a robot in months of deep space.

The perfect tool, basically. While HAL was supposed to be that, but wasn't; the conflicting instructions given by the mission's true masters confusing it all the way to murder.

In Interstellar the astronauts / human characters aren't meant to be like Bowman from 2001, and they're given backstories and conflict, but they just fail to be particularly memorable or likable I guess.

cuntman.net

precision posted:

hahaha

cuntman.net

wait i dont get it

Mapparu

i watched the hitman movie... i think it was cool. you get see a lot of pretty shots but theres some cool action.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
I saw a movie called "Smoke Signals". It was pretty deep, with quite a few messages. It's on Netflix, among other places for streaming.

Speaking of HAL- if you take the letters IBM and go back one letter in the acronym, you get... HAL. HAL was supposed to represent the apex of Big Blue, by the year 2001.

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Entropic

patriarchy sucks
extended editions of LOTR movies are for when you want to waste your life, but not just like, a little bit, you want to waste your life as much as possible

ulvir

what do y'all think about Moon? it was kind of neat in a space thriller kind of way, but I felt it tried too hard to emulate 2001 with Gerdy. it didn't really do anything new or groundbreaking, and pretty much borrowed every theme from elsewhere. but it still managed to be a pretty good flick despite that, or maybe even because of it

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Moon was a great movie, I find Sam Rockwell to be an amazing and talented actor. I first saw him in the movie Galaxy Quest a buncha years ago (a sort of spoof of Star Trek and the genre in general but at the same time... well, I would say watch it. It's got Sigourney Weaver, Alan Rickman and Tim Allen in it!) and he did a great job as "plucky comic relief". He was also great in the Way, Way Back as a waterpark manager, and of course he was the Saloon owner in Cowboys and Aliens, all movies I can also say I strongly recommend watching.

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Damp Star Baby

yeah moon is one of those movies that you should watch at least once

I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create. - William Blake

precision

by VideoGames
Gerdy :(

----------------

dumb crambo
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
i saw this movbie called uhhh... EERMmmm (thinking in my head) uhh ironic movie ironic movie uhh...

yelling: bad rats :D

treasure bear

ulvir posted:

what do y'all think about Moon? it was kind of neat in a space thriller kind of way, but I felt it tried too hard to emulate 2001 with Gerdy. it didn't really do anything new or groundbreaking, and pretty much borrowed every theme from elsewhere. but it still managed to be a pretty good flick despite that, or maybe even because of it

It was good. I liked how they subverted your expectations of Gerty. The soundtrack was amazing.

cuntman.net

ulvir posted:

its weird i was just thinking about that movie right before you posted it

probably because of the moon thread

BeanBandit

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

alnilam posted:

somehow despite being from 1967 i still think 2001 has the most convincing and graceful space scenes of any movie ever

Interstellar came close and i didn't see gravity but I heard it was good space too

2001 is one of my favorite movies. The only thing they didn't nail is the type of terrain on the moon, and that's because the movie was made a year before the actual moon landing.

Damp Star Baby

they got pretty close to what spaceflight technology might have looked like had the space program continued on the same spending levels and public interest though! The amount of detail is staggering!

Wertjoe

2001 is very good but as far as Kubrick films go The Shining is the top for me. There is so much weird stuff hidden in the movie. Like doors that go no where and turning corners too many times for the hotel to continue making sense. They built some of the hallways to be movable and would shift them around during filming.

Afro Doug

ulvir posted:

i love in bruges
this was a good movie. seven psychopaths was even better.

alnilam

ulvir posted:

i love in bruges

i love in bruges... i love in antwerp too... Heck i love all over the place

ChairmanMeow

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!

Afro Doug posted:

this was a good movie. seven psychopaths was even better.

they were both really good.

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
i can't rent interstellar, you can only buy it... is it worth twenty dollars...

----------------

ChairmanMeow

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!

Qwerinty posted:

it's not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanBandit

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Qwerinty posted:

probably not 20. maybe 10.

• Locked thread