Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
I don't see a post for this game, and since it's one that I'm particularly excited about at the moment, I'm going to start one because we should all be talking about things I want to talk about. Let's begin!

- Cooperative, 1-4 Players
- 30-60 Minutes Playtime
- Ages 14+

Warhammer Quest: TACG is a Fantasy Flight re-imagining of the classic Warhammer Quest board game published by GW back in 1995. Whether or not that game was good doesn't matter because the rose-colored glasses are up to coke-bottle levels now and we all remember it as the greatest game ever made.

quote:

In Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game, you and up to three friends assume the roles of some of the Old World's most iconic heroes, immersed in a desperate fight for your lives. You'll battle ghouls, Goblins, Skaven, giant bats, and swarms of rats. Monsters lurk in every shadow and around every turn in the dungeon corridors. Even worse, their attacks appear to be driven by some greater nemesis lurking deeper in the lair, and you are the only heroes who might possibly be able to stop this evil villain.

The information we have right now is limited to just the initial official announcement and a smattering of GenCon previews, but the base set comes with four heroes and a campaign composed of five quests. The heroes in the base set are the Warrior Priest, Waywatcher, Bright Wizard, and Ironbreaker. Each player chooses a hero, and you go through the quests of the campaign, with wins and losses having differing effects until you complete them and determine whether or not you won the overall campaign.

Every hero has four basic actions, the specifics of each one being different for each hero/class:

quote:

Attack: When you perform an attack, you roll the number of dice indicated by your Attack action and count the successes against one of the enemies with which you are engaged.

Aid: Aiding another hero allows you to add success tokens to one of their actions, to be used at a later time, and allows that hero to ready one of his action cards.

Explore: You need to explore to advance through the game's locations and make your way through its dungeons. Each time you explore, you roll a number of dice and place a number of progress on the location equal to the successes you roll.

Rest: In Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game, you will take damage. You will be beaten and bloodied, and you will need to rest to heal the damage, healing one point of damage for each success you roll on your rest dice.

The game has no pre-constructed deckbuilding, meaning you'll find gear and abilities through exploring the dungeon rather than drawing from a deck. Each hero has artifacts that can be found via exploration and successful quest completion (on top of the normal loot items), and there are upgrades to your four basic actions to choose from as your character progresses.

Every quest has a setup section that shows what levels of enemies, types of items, etc, to include in the gear and encounter decks for the scenario, giving it the feel of Descent and Lord of the Rings LCG having a Warhammer themed baby, with some D&D Adventure Game flavoring via enemies that give instructions on what actions they will take during their activations.

Currently the game is listed as 'On the Boat', and the various pre-order sites show estimated releases of Sept-Nov, so still pretty up in the air on when it'll hit the shelves. I'll update the OP once we get an actual breakdown/playthrough of the game mechanics proper.

Official FFG Highlights Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI-as3z9KiE
Drive Thru Review GenCon 2015 Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9CpB6aE7_4
BoardGameGeek GenCon 2015 Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOTapD1aivc

First Official Preview - Delve into Darkness - Preview the Dungeon Adventures of Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

Shadin fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
The first official preview for the game hit on Friday, goes through the quest phases nicely. Link in OP and will update with more information.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
So updating this post slid off the radar due to some RL occurrences that kept me away from the computer a lot. However, this game is now out and I managed to get four sessions of it in this weekend (solo, 2p, 3p, and 4p). Everyone really enjoyed it, and this is pretty much what I wanted LOTR:LCG to be to begin with.

Anyone else pick WH up and try it?

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
How well does this play solo?

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Al Baron posted:

How well does this play solo?

It plays awesome solo. In fact, the game scales the same for any number of players (up to four).

Each hero comes with three different cards, one for 2p, 3p, and 4p. The amount of HP and the number of hero activations a turn scales depending on the number of players. So if you play solo, you control two heroes, and use the 2p cards, which have the highest HP each and each hero activates twice per round. If 3p, the party leader activates twice per round, and 4p each hero activates once. So you always have four hero actions every round regardless of the player count.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I picked this up the other day and I've played a few times. On first glance, I really enjoy this game. You can feel the influence of LotR in the mechanics, and I think it's for the good. I've played the first quest solo once (and got murdered), and with one other person - we won by the skin of our teeth - I was the Warrior Priest and she was the Ironbreaker. We hit the last peril spot on the card so Odious Grump kept piling damage onto her while I desperately explored. She ended up getting defeated, which left me with a single turn to finish exploring the quest location and then survive the onslaught of damage that would occur before the location phase. I got the progress tokens, and drew some armor which put my health just high enough to survive the 8 enemy attacks during the enemy phase.

The engagement mechanic confuses me in a specific way - can a player engage an enemy that is engaged with another player? The rulebook is not clear on this, but one of the Ironbreakers ability's makes me think you can't - his Aid action says "Before this action, you may engage one enemy engaged with the target hero." Is that exclusionary, re: it implies that since you could normally engage ANY enemy, you can only engage this one on this action OR it implies that normally you can't engage an enemy engaged with another player, but this card gives you the exception to the rule...? Not sure that made much sense.

Otherwise though, great stuff! I can see plowing through the campaign and the delve a few times without getting bored.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lucas Archer posted:

The engagement mechanic confuses me in a specific way - can a player engage an enemy that is engaged with another player? The rulebook is not clear on this, but one of the Ironbreakers ability's makes me think you can't - his Aid action says "Before this action, you may engage one enemy engaged with the target hero." Is that exclusionary, re: it implies that since you could normally engage ANY enemy, you can only engage this one on this action OR it implies that normally you can't engage an enemy engaged with another player, but this card gives you the exception to the rule...? Not sure that made much sense.
Yes, when a card says "engage one enemy", it can be any enemy on the board.

The reason the Ironbreaker's Aid card says that is because his special shtick on his Aid is that he's giving the other person tokens and pulling one monster off them.

So when the Ironbreaker attacks, he can engage any enemy in play, but when he aids, he can only engage a monster that's attached to the person he's helping.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yes, when a card says "engage one enemy", it can be any enemy on the board.

The reason the Ironbreaker's Aid card says that is because his special shtick on his Aid is that he's giving the other person tokens and pulling one monster off them.

So when the Ironbreaker attacks, he can engage any enemy in play, but when he aids, he can only engage a monster that's attached to the person he's helping.

Well then, I was handicapping myself. Good to know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
First expansions released, two new heroes:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/6/16/witch-hunter-and-troll-slayer/

• Locked thread