Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Huh. But Lena is part vile tribe and that is supposed to be a plot point and the D castle just absorbs people who fail its trials.

There I helped.

Thanks for this LP Camel Pimp. You are now free of Lunar.

Also it wasn't all of Studio Alex who worked on this game I believe it was just three or five guys from their B team but Studio Alex just took full credit responsibility for it.

And that's about all I know about this game. I have failed you as a Loremaster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Would the star creation subplot going nowhere raise more questions or the guy turning into a butterfly on a whim in Dragon Song?

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Jenner posted:

Huh. But Lena is part vile tribe and that is supposed to be a plot point and the D castle just absorbs people who fail its trials.

There I helped.

But where are her mandatory face tattoos?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It is over and it was good!

Also Brown and Elenora just bought a farm and went out to it. No problems, nothing at all. Just farm work. It makes you quite busy after all.

Good thing there were no bodies left to hide

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

This was... a game, I guess. Thanks for the LP regardless.

Was it?

Because I'm not 100% sure at this point.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Camel Pimp posted:

I wish I had something to add about the remake, but since I've not played more than an hour of it due to that whole "not knowing Japanese" problem.

That and the whole "naked teenage girl bodypaint or whatever" scene that was so very :japan: that you felt the need to apologize for putting us through it during the stream. That was just a weird-rear end scene.

quote:

Speaking of which.

Please tell me this was an edit on your part or something.

All that said, I enjoyed this LP greatly and I'm glad you came back to finish it. So what's the plan for future LPs now that you've run out of non-remade Lunar games to play? Move on to the remakes, perhaps? Other games? Or are you done with LPing entirely?

EDIT:

Jenner posted:

If this were true Lena would be wearing about 85% less clothing.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 15, 2016

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bufuman posted:

She's only part Vile Tribe.

She expresses it by wearing only one sock.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
Lena? I thought it was Ellie that was part Vile Tribe.

Thanks for the LP, CamelPimp! You made the only Lunar I haven't played yet more interesting than I've always suspected it would end up being. :)

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Thanks for playing this so the rest of us didn't have to. Like you said, it seems like it does have some interesting ideas, it's just let down by the lack of difficulty in gameplay and having a few more characters than the plot can keep track of.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

SorataYuy posted:

Lena? I thought it was Ellie that was part Vile Tribe.

Thanks for the LP, CamelPimp! You made the only Lunar I haven't played yet more interesting than I've always suspected it would end up being. :)

You're right, it was Ellie. The master made a mistake and has been corrected.

In my defense I was drunk.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I can't even remember that plot point. I think I forgot everything that happened before updates resumed. There were...dungeons? Maybe?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
:3:

Jenner posted:

There I helped.

Thanks for this LP Camel Pimp. You are now free of Lunar.

Also it wasn't all of Studio Alex who worked on this game I believe it was just three or five guys from their B team but Studio Alex just took full credit responsibility for it.

And that's about all I know about this game. I have failed you as a Loremaster!

Out of all the lunar games I LPed, to be honest this was one I kind of wanted the most Loremastering on. (I'm still genuinely baffled at how Brown and Elenora just vanished.) But, ya know, at the end of the day it's a weird oddity that's not very interesting, so I get it.

Bufuman posted:

All that said, I enjoyed this LP greatly and I'm glad you came back to finish it. So what's the plan for future LPs now that you've run out of non-remade Lunar games to play? Move on to the remakes, perhaps? Other games? Or are you done with LPing entirely?

I kind of have vague plans for this one game... I'm not entirely sure if I can get it to work/can make a half-decent LP out of it, so I'm not announcing it yet. But I think I'm done with Lunar. If I LP a Lunar remake, it'd be Silver Star Complete. It's different enough that I'd largely not just be repeating myself, but still... yeah, kinda Lunar-ed out.

Sudaj
May 30, 2013

Camel Pimp posted:

tailors!

I wonder why the robe shop doesn't have a professor attached to it. It's the most useful shop in the game, after all.

I can't tell if this is a :thejoke: moment or not.

Either way, great LP. I started this game years ago when I was on a Lunar kick and couldn't make myself finish it. Now I (kind of?) know how this all played out. Brown and Elenora will forever be a mystery, but I doubt I'd have even noticed their disappearance if you hadn't pointed it out. Jerk girl and Kitchen Lady were there at the end. They're about the only ones who really made an impression. Ant and his cronies too, I guess. Okay - the characters weren't all completely forgettable. But that may just be due to their additional italicized text.

This game really did seem like it had a bit more ambition than it could live up to. It's a shame the remake is still untranslated.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Bufuman posted:

That and the whole "naked teenage girl bodypaint or whatever" scene that was so very :japan: that you felt the need to apologize for putting us through it during the stream. That was just a weird-rear end scene.

Speaking of which.

Please tell me this was an edit on your part or something.

EDIT:

he is talking in his sleep

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Thank you for finishing this Camel Pimp. It was very interesting. It's not often that you see a technically competent game, except that the developers forgot to make it actually interesting.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Honestly after the credits is the best place for that Professor Glen scene.. If they drop that on you in the middle of the game you'll feel like you just got bullshitted. Afterwards, when it doesn't matter to you anymore because you're not in control of anybody involved, it's much lower-impact.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Serious Frolicking posted:

he is talking in his sleep
He sure as gently caress is. No need to think about that too much.
Now the remake... It decided to expand on the story of his hormones and the thumbnails alone made me feel like I got put on a list.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 17, 2016

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Camel Pimp posted:

Out of all the lunar games I LPed, to be honest this was one I kind of wanted the most Loremastering on. (I'm still genuinely baffled at how Brown and Elenora just vanished.) But, ya know, at the end of the day it's a weird oddity that's not very interesting, so I get it.

I mostly don't know much about it because it's in Japanese and I also don't know Japanese but I'll tell you what. I can talk to Kizyr (the guy who did the English walk through you probably used and probably the biggest Lunar Loremaster of them all) and ask them about this game. PM or post here any questions in particular you have and I'll get back to you with any answers they can provide. A warning, I don't know how much they know or don't know but it's worth a shot. :shrug:

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

(I don't have PM. You could possibly hit me up on my e-mail or my tumblr? Link to the latter is in my profile, and my e-mail is just this username with no spaces at gmail.) EDIT I got PMs now thank you Jenner :)

Do you think he knows what the hell happened to Brown and Elenora, and if they really do just disappear at the end for no reason? I kinda doubt it, since no sane person spent more than two brain cells on them, but the thought that I might have missed something big or obvious is kinda getting at me.

Oh, and those weird castle mini-bosses? Were they just previous masters of the castles? What's with the names? Why is one of them a goat?

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 21, 2016

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They reminded me of the Kefka gauntlet with the discolorations matching another color of a boss. They might have been broken up and placed into hallways.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I mostly want to know about the minibosses.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Camel Pimp posted:

(I don't have PM. You could possibly hit me up on my e-mail or my tumblr? Link to the latter is in my profile, and my e-mail is just this username with no spaces at gmail.)

I'll drop you an email and buy you PMs (you've earned them!) tomorrow.

quote:

Do you think he knows what the hell happened to Brown and Elenora, and if they really do just disappear at the end for no reason? I kinda doubt it, since no sane person spent more than two brain cells on them, but the thought that I might have missed something big or obvious is kinda getting at me.

Kizyr: Didn't they graduate? You know it's quite possible the developers just completely forgot about them. I wrote my guide forever ago and barely remember much but this was a very simple game. Very sparce.

Me: OK but what is up with this game?

Kizyr: On the Lunar-NET website if you go to the Walking School Section there's a Story subsection that has a synopsis of the whole story.

Kizyr: Also there's the Magical School Lunar Novel (which you can find on the Lunar-NET site. If I didn't do a full translation I at least did a synopsis.) The novel goes into detail about the events of the game but I have to be completely honest there's not much internal consistency between versions. Like the Saturn version of the game? Despite having some of the same characters it might as well be a completely different game. And writers of the novels didn't really care about fact checking.

Me: But what about Brown and Elenora?

Kizyr: I don't think anyone cared about Brown and Eleonora.

Me: We care! Elenora was important enough to get kidnapped!

Kizyr: That's because they mistook her for someone important.

quote:

Oh, and those weird castle mini-bosses? Were they just previous masters of the castles? What's with the names? Why is one of them a goat?

Kizyr: It has been a long time since I played this game so I'm really not sure.

[Kizyr looks it up on Lunar-NET and goes through the names]

Kizyr: These are stupid names!

Kizyr: I don't recall anything mentioned about them being previous Masters of the castle...but that makes sense. They're either all parts of Memphis or all previous masters of the castle.

Me: Even the one that looks like a goat?

Kizyr: [dejectedly] Yes even the one that looks like a goat.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Jenner posted:

Me: But what about Brown and Elenora?

Kizyr: I don't think anyone cared about Brown and Eleonora.

Me: We care! Elenora was important enough to get kidnapped!

Kizyr: That's because they mistook her for someone important.

Ouch.

Jenner posted:

Kizyr: It has been a long time since I played this game so I'm really not sure.

[Kizyr looks it up on Lunar-NET and goes through the names]

Kizyr: These are stupid names!

Kizyr: I don't recall anything mentioned about them being previous Masters of the castle...but that makes sense. They're either all parts of Memphis or all previous masters of the castle.

Me: Even the one that looks like a goat?

Kizyr: [dejectedly] Yes even the one that looks like a goat.

So... probably that the developers didn't know or care either? Sounds about right.

Zerbin7
Oct 15, 2014

It's a living.
I am learning so much, and yet still feel so confused. Thanks for the LP, CP! It's been a great ride!

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'm still convinced this was meant to be it's own original world, but they shoe-horned Lunar references in the middle of production so it'll sell more copies.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Robindaybird posted:

I'm still convinced this was meant to be it's own original world, but they shoe-horned Lunar references in the middle of production so it'll sell more copies.

If that's true, they at least put a little bit of effort into making the shoehorning fit the setting. Magic schools, guardian dragons and nations of exiled demon-people aren't exactly 100% original individually, but taken as a whole they're fairly recognisable features of Lunar.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Robindaybird posted:

To be fair, Dragon Song was developed on that exact same process. I'd say Walking School turned out pretty drat good when taken in that light.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
All hail the goat, eternal master of D!

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

I'm sure they just went to a farm upstate?

quote:

So... probably that the developers didn't know or care either? Sounds about right.

Yeah, apparently the names of the monsters were just as bad and nonsensical in Japanese and it is pretty likely the developers just pulled something out of their butts regarding the mini-bosses and just didn't put much/any thought to it. Kinda like that cursed Incan monster (Grissol/Grimzol) out of nowhere in Lunar TSS/SSSC. You know, the one that hangs out around Pao cursing all the women for whatever reason and there is no lore or explanation as to what it is, how it got there, and why it is being such a jerk. (All we really get is some NPCs being like, "Oh that rear end in a top hat? He's been here for forever. What'cha gonna do?" and "Grissol/Grimzol is a punishment!" but they never explain what they did to get punished or anything. My theory is that Pao is on the edge of the Frontier and they just got some gently caress You radiation from Althena's judgement.)

These mini-bosses? Pretty much the same deal. There's nothing stated in the game, by any of the NPCs, by D itself, or by any of the books in the library. Some theories can be drawn from the fact that D cries out in pain and complains as you defeat them though. Because this suggests the mini-bosses are a part of D and crucial to keeping D present/stable/alive. Uh...Unless its not D but Memphis bitching. (The bitching doesn't have a picture to go along with it so its source is open to interpretation.) I mean, we don't really know much about D or its powers. All we get from the game is Mysterious, possibly evil, fortress in control of the Vile Tribe right? And while your theory about the mini-bosses being past masters of D makes sense to Kizyr I'm much more willing to dive off the deep end and suggest that, hey, maybe D is like evil (as its suggested to be) and requires sacrifices which it uses to power itself and maintain its presence on this plane (since when all the bullshit is murdered D is just like, "Welp, I must return to my home planet.") If D does take sacrifices it could be the mini-bosses are those tortured souls? Or maybe D is like a genie/monkey's paw and lets Masters of the Castle gently caress around for awhile before betraying them and absorbing them and then waiting for the next idiot to try their luck.

I am putting way more thought into this than the developers ever did.

I did ask Kizyr about what was up with these Masters/Guardians of Time and what their purpose is and what they do and he said they have a relationship with the Blue Dragon. The Blue Dragon is tied to all things flowing (like water, time, etc) and their job is to basically safeguard the flow of time from timefuckery. So basically if otherworldly/villainous or even well-meaning entities are trying to Chrono Trigger Lunar it would be their and the Blue Dragon's duty to stop it/them and (somehow) set things right. Which might make for a fun game? Maybe? (It's never happening.)

Me: So they're time cops?

Kizyr: Yes, they're time cops.

Specifically Glen is like the Boss and Winn is the Apprentice and Steele is just supposed to oversee the Magic School, which is important for Reasons. (I have no idea what preserving and continuing the Iyen Magic School has to do with time and Kizyr says part of the reason Iyen is floating around is because it's some kind of focal point. That's why the Blue Dragon hangs out there.)

Also I watched the Anime for this and it did not help at all. It was incredibly zany and goofy and anime and made no sense so yeah.

Just a side note: Thanks to Camel Pimp you've pretty much seen all there is to see in Lunar. I mean there are a few animes and mangas and other things that exist only in Japan but they're very bad about staying true to the lore of the setting and at times (in my opinion) even gently caress up the characterization of characters. But still I can recommend one of them. If anyone is really interested in reading Outside of Game Content that at least tries to be loyal to the lore/source material of Lunar Kizyr recommends the Vane Airship Manga. I also thought it was pretty good but YMMV.

Thanks for sharing these games with the world Camel Pimp.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 19, 2016

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Thuryl posted:

If that's true, they at least put a little bit of effort into making the shoehorning fit the setting. Magic schools, guardian dragons and nations of exiled demon-people aren't exactly 100% original individually, but taken as a whole they're fairly recognisable features of Lunar.

Thus middle of production, whereas in the case of the Layton Brothers, it was more or less last minute

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Well, that sure was an experience. Thanks for the LP!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is anything else for this or are you done?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Thanks for doing this one. I have a dumb nostalgia for the Lunar series, and even though this one barely seemed to fit, it seemed to scratch that same itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

To be honest, this thread is probably done. Thank you all for sticking through me with this, and through my whole journey through the Lunar series!

• Locked thread