Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i imagine there are some goons here who collect cars- i do, because when i was a kid my dad had a collection himself. ferraris and lambos... unfortunately he sold them before i could take them off his hands :smith:

what do you guys collect? i mainly stick to formula 1 cars in 1/18 scale right now, been looking at some really nice autoart/kyosho wrc models that i wanna get my hands on, though. my collection is small right now, but it'll grow!

from left to right - michael schumacher's 2011 mercedes (minichamps), fernando alonso's 2013 ferrari (hotwheels), and emerson fittipaldi's 1972 lotus 72d (quartzo)

RISCy Business fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I grab Hotwheels whenever I'm at the shop. I used to have some lovely Burago Jaguar models when I was a kid but my little prick of a cousin trashed them on me because he's a complete arsehole. :(

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Lego cars.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

88h88 posted:

I grab Hotwheels whenever I'm at the shop. I used to have some lovely Burago Jaguar models when I was a kid but my little prick of a cousin trashed them on me because he's a complete arsehole. :(

i actually order most of mine online

https://www.diecastmodelswholesale.com

decent pricing and a good selection

i got burned on the lotus though, the rear wing had broken off in transit and i had to reattach it with model glue- luckily the underside had some notches where the wing was supposed to be so it was easy

MrLogan posted:

Lego cars.

http://www.lego.com/en-us/technic/products/42039-24-hours-race-car i do kinda want this :3:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I am really bad at putting together plastic models but I want to get better.

When I was a kid I used to have trouble putting too much glue on, and now as an adult I don't have the patience to lay down good brush paint jobs anymore.

I have a few AutoArt Subarus and they are amazing.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 11, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

deep impact on vhs posted:

i actually order most of mine online

https://www.diecastmodelswholesale.com

decent pricing and a good selection

i got burned on the lotus though, the rear wing had broken off in transit and i had to reattach it with model glue- luckily the underside had some notches where the wing was supposed to be so it was easy

http://www.lego.com/en-us/technic/products/42039-24-hours-race-car i do kinda want this :3:

OH GOD I NEED THIS

http://www.diecastmodelswholesale.com/nissan-skyline-gt-r-kpgc10-tuned-version-black-1-18-diecast-model-car-by-autoart/

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I am really bad at putting together plastic models but I want to get better.

same here, i have really shaky hands so i buy them preassembled cuz i don't wanna ruin them :(

autoart stuff is *amazing*, you can tell they put a lot of pride into their work and it shows when you get one :3:

RISCy Business fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 11, 2015

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
http://finemodelcars.com/us/product/ferrari-sf15-t-11-steering-wheel-replica/

i would commit various crimes just to own this :c

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Ah man, I got a ton of crap. All my die-cast stuff is 1:18. Mostly old American Muscle, but some other Euro stuff too. Mostly Bburago stuff, but other manufacturers here and there. Lots of 1:24 scale plastic models, too. Unfortunately, I don't have any good pictures of my poo poo so here's a terrible picture of a garage I put together a couple years ago. 3D printed jack stands brought to you by our resident air-cooled masochist.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Ah man, I got a ton of crap. All my die-cast stuff is 1:18. Mostly old American Muscle, but some other Euro stuff too. Mostly Bburago stuff, but other manufacturers here and there. Lots of 1:24 scale plastic models, too. Unfortunately, I don't have any good pictures of my poo poo so here's a terrible picture of a garage I put together a couple years ago. 3D printed jack stands brought to you by our resident air-cooled masochist.

niiiice. i need to set something like that up, would be really neat!

SegwayPimp
Sep 13, 2015
Diecast have actually gotten quite expensive, at least the good stuff. I have about 1000 1/64 scale cars. Detail has gotten pretty amazing on some of them lately.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Me and my dad collect these, he thought they would go up in value, and i thought they were wicked awesome. basically all 1:18 1930-1980 american stuff though. There's probably about 200 of them in boxes in his basement which is nuts thinking back because we bought a lot of them on our family vacations to the US for $40something US when the canadian dollar was worth 60 cents.

When we have enough space worth displaying them, we're going to build a nice display case.

All of my money these days goes to real cars, but whenever costco has their $10 maisto pallet out, i usually grab a couple for myself and a couple for my nephews.

SegwayPimp posted:

Diecast have actually gotten quite expensive, at least the good stuff. I have about 1000 1/64 scale cars. Detail has gotten pretty amazing on some of them lately.

It's gotten cheaper in some areas. in 1:18 The $10-$20 maisto cars are basically where the $40-$50 cars were 20 years ago, but back then there was absolutley nothing on the level of the autoart stuff.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

deep impact on vhs posted:

niiiice. i need to set something like that up, would be really neat!

Found a couple more from when I finished it. I think it's missing a couple little things that it currently has, but here's a couple more angles.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Every time a buy real car it seems to be impossible to find a diecast or even a resin build it yourself variant.

Examples:
Bog standard gc8 wrx (not an sti, 22b, coupe or similar)
Nissan Pulsar GTIR
1st gen Mazda 3 MPS
Gen4 Libert/Legacy GT wagon

They dont exist

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Sep 19, 2015

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I love model cars and hotwheels, probably have 2 dozen models and well over 300 hotwheels and matchbox cars. Unfortunately most of them are in storage right now :(

I used to build model cars and planes all the time, I'd love to get back into that but jesus model building supplies are expensive (I didn't have to buy them as a kid :v: ). I've got a nice Tamiya kit on my shelf waiting to be built. Lucked out and found an old, un-opened kit of my 1986 Celica GTS so I want to do it right.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Lilbeefer posted:

Every time a buy real car it seems to be impossible to find a diecast or even a resin build it yourself variant.
You think cars are bad, try looking for a bike. :( I can't wait for 3D printing to become super fine and affordable to start doing stuff like that myself.

Longshot question, but when I was a little kid in the late 70s/early 80s, my dad got some massive scale Jag E-type.. something like 1:6 or maybe 1:8. Definitely bigger than 1:12.

I think it was Revell but I'm not 100% positive. I remember it had a working suspension, plug wires, engine belts and even (no poo poo) roll up/down windows. Any idea who made it and where there might be a chance in hell a guy could get one?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I have always been really pumped about various Tamiya kits. I love the damned box art so much, Ive been considering buying some race car kits and airbrushing them up. I just bought a nice new airbrush that hits way above its weight class for its cost:

http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-2020-2F-Gravity-Airbrush/dp/B000BROVIO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442720895&sr=8-1&keywords=sotar+20+20

Kits like this are intriguing:

http://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-12-Ducati-916/dp/B00Y1AYGQE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1442720942&sr=8-3&keywords=ducati+916+tamiya
http://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-Automo...+ferrari+tamiya

I would frame that fuckin' box art, man

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Found that Jag model
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monogram-1-8-scale-JAGUAR-XKE-model-car-kit-sealed-vintage-/181868879075

Exact same box even as I remember it.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

PaintVagrant posted:

I have always been really pumped about various Tamiya kits. I love the damned box art so much, Ive been considering buying some race car kits and airbrushing them up. I just bought a nice new airbrush that hits way above its weight class for its cost:

http://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-2020-2F-Gravity-Airbrush/dp/B000BROVIO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442720895&sr=8-1&keywords=sotar+20+20

Kits like this are intriguing:

http://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-12-Ducati-916/dp/B00Y1AYGQE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1442720942&sr=8-3&keywords=ducati+916+tamiya
http://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-Automo...+ferrari+tamiya

I would frame that fuckin' box art, man

I built that 916 quite a few years back and I did not pay $60 for it :stare:.

It is a fantastic kit, however. Most of their bikes are. I think I've got about a half dozen done so far and one still waiting to go.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Yeah that price is nuts, but I was just fishing for a link with the box art in it.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

This thread needs to stay alive because modeling is awesome especially in the winter when I'm locked inside for 6 months. I'm currently working on the Tamiya VFR750R kit and it is great, so many little details, and the box art is indeed amazing. This is the first model I've done since I was a kid and I'm finding I like to fret about the small details now. Next I think I might pick up an airbrush and build the 916, or maybe one of those tank kits.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I collect mostly 1:18 scale stuff. Mainly movie/TV cars, but other stuff, too.

Yes, I need to dust!

I'm working on a better way to display everything better than using cheap bookcases. Not pictured: 1:24 London double-decker bus.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Anybody other than Tamiya make bike models?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Awwwww yisssssss

http://www.diecastmodelswholesale.com/toyota-sprinter-trueno-ae86-new-animation-film-initial-d-legend-1-1-18-diecast-car-model-by-autoart/

Wait a minute....I don't think it had red interior in the show did it?

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

slidebite posted:

Italeri seems to make a few, but it looks like Tamiya's got a much larger selection in general.

The model cars I have are kinda cheating as they're Binaltech Transformers from a few years back, but they're still pretty decent for their time.

I've also started building car model kits(after getting started last year with a bunch of plane kits in 1/72 and 1/144), starting off with a VW van:

Didn't turn out exactly as I hoped due to some minor fitting issues with some parts, but overall I'm satisfied with the results, as well as the level of detail put into the kit compared to the difficulty level. Right now I've just gotten started on a Diablo VT:

Both kits are Revell but I've also seen some nice things from various other companies around. The models are indeed the cheapest part of the hobby.

And I'm still on the lookout to find a kit for cars I've actually owned, but the Peugeot 106, Mazda 323F and Peugeot 207 are not popular enough to turn into a kit. Hell, it's difficult enough trying to find a diecast model of one of them in the right color and version.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

slidebite posted:

Aoshima makes them too but I've never built one of their kits so I don't know what the quality is. The problem with the motorcycle kits is the selection: there are all kinds of race bikes and JDM market-only bikes but very few domestic ones.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I used to buy every toy Focus I saw, back when my Focus was new and I actually had pride in it and enjoyed the compact scene. That tapered off as I drove the hell out of it over the next 10 years before selling it. So somewhere I've got a box full of Hot Wheels and other stuff that aren't as nice as what most of you guys are posting. If I had money for that kind of thing I wouldn't have been driving a Focus sedan.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have a few 1/24 Tamiya models on the burn at the moment - Hakosuka GT-R, Raybrig NSX, R32 GTR and R34 GTR.

Also working on a DR30 Skyline with fender flares and a 180SX Type X to match my own car - even found some Resin Enkei RPF1 wheels in scale 17" size to match :3

I also have a AE86 that I am going to complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
Bumping this thread a bit from way back in the day to show off some more kits:

VW Beetle Limousine, 1968

Citroën 2CV Charleston

Planning on picking up a garage diorama to show them off properly, but they're kinda hard to find. I'm also planning on several more cars in this scale but I need the space first.

• Locked thread