Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Project Greenlight began as a reality tv project by Ben Affleck and Matt Damon to pull back the curtain on filmmaking and break new talent into Hollywood.

- The first season covered a first time writer/director's attempt to make his first feature film for Miramax. It was a trainwreck. It bombed. The guy was never heard from again.
- The second season covered a writer and a directors' attempt to make a film for Miramax. The studio mangled it. It bombed. Nobody's career was helped.
- The third season covered a writer duo and a director's attempt to make a horror film for Dimension Films. Wes Craven showed up a couple of times and took an executive producer credit. This was the most successful Greenlight project despite airing on Bravo and Matt Damon whining about selling out. The horror film was Feast, which spawned two sequels, and launched the writing careers of Marcus Dunstan & Patrick Melton (Saw IV-VII, The Collector and [maybe] the upcoming God Of War adaptation for Sony)

And now it's back. This time a director (gently caress WRITERS) is attempting to make a comedy movie for HBO for three million dollars. The Farrelly Brothers are taking the Wes Craven role this season. The winner from Season 1 that was never heard from again (who's apparently buddies with the Farrellys and worked on Hall Pass with them?) is back to rewrite some script The Farrelly Brothers bought.

Season 1-2 can be found on HBO Go/HBO Now while Season 3 can only be seen on YouTube. The first episode of Season 4 played last night.

Anybody else watching this?

It seems like most of the drama is going to be from this talented director dealing with all these hosed up people who've been placed around him. And hopefully all of that poo poo takes a backseat once the filming starts since there's only seven episodes left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captian Nuke
Aug 5, 2012
I'm watching this. I enjoyed the first three seasons (the third was the best one easily) but sometimes I get the sneaking suspicion that this show is designed to ruin the careers of pretentious writers and directors. So far I am amused that they managed to pick the only director who clearly did not want to actually make the movie that was pitched. I was also amused by how everyone talked about the script as the episode went on. At the beginning it was a fun broad comedy from a really talented writer that everyone was excited about but by the end it was a terrible script that needs lots of rewrites and everyone (except one of the Farrelly brothers) hates.

Should be an entertaining season.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Matt Damon seems to be in a bit of heat from his comments on diversity. I thought it was awkward and uncomfortable, but the Vietnamese dude/white woman pair really weren't the strongest, and the guy they picked was better. It seems like there are a few sites trying to blow this up bigger than it was. Anyone here have a take?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Captian Nuke posted:

I'm watching this. I enjoyed the first three seasons (the third was the best one easily) but sometimes I get the sneaking suspicion that this show is designed to ruin the careers of pretentious writers and directors. So far I am amused that they managed to pick the only director who clearly did not want to actually make the movie that was pitched. I was also amused by how everyone talked about the script as the episode went on. At the beginning it was a fun broad comedy from a really talented writer that everyone was excited about but by the end it was a terrible script that needs lots of rewrites and everyone (except one of the Farrelly brothers) hates.

Should be an entertaining season.

I loved how much they dumped on Stolen Summer and Pete Jones in Season 2 & 3. He was everybody's go-to joke and every reference to him was from that disaster shoot where they tried to do a complicated dolly shot with kid actors under an active subway line. I was surprised to see him back this time and I don't blame the director for wanting to fire him immediately.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Matt Damon seems to be in a bit of heat from his comments on diversity. I thought it was awkward and uncomfortable, but the Vietnamese dude/white woman pair really weren't the strongest, and the guy they picked was better. It seems like there are a few sites trying to blow this up bigger than it was. Anyone here have a take?

Effie Brown seems pretty horrible but I can't tell if that's how she is in real life or if it's creative editing to put her in a specific role. Literally everything out of her mouth was about diversity. She lights up when they walk in. Overly nods along when the woman says that they have to be careful with the one character because they don't want the movie to slut shame. And the first thing out of her mouth when they leave is "I love the fact that they're diverse in and of themselves. Being a woman and he's also a person of color."

Most importantly, she was the only one in the room who wanted to choose them.

Although it was funny how that duo said they had a unique voice and their submission was basically a poorly done rip off of the winner of Season 2.

also lol

some lovely website posted:

Since every season of the show has had a different focus, I vote that Project Greenlight 5 be open exclusively to women and people of color. Because Project Greenlight is about access, and it’s about time that it puts its money where its mouth is and stops giving access to the same people over and over.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 15, 2015

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Effie is a monster and I'm enjoying every time she gets "slighted".

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
As the show goes on, it seems everyone does the runaround on Effie. I'd want her on my team but it's clear Jason infuriates her.

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

I was kind of annoyed with her on that conference call that made Farrelly quit but I'm starting to come around on her. She was right, really--Jason had already had his little digital lesson and Farrelly seemingly had little to do with the day-to-day. She looks like she's good at her job.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Kind of disappointed on how abrupt this season is, they mostly gloss over all the casting and picking of the crew. Also, one of the primary reasons you want to shoot on film is because the blacks and night shoots on film are much better then digital, so if he doesn't have that then the whole film point is moot.

Only thing I agree with Jason on was that those locations were ugly and gaudy, none of them worked.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Yeah but the place he chose was in the first few he toured.

It's clear they don't give enough time to induce artificial errors.

Also lol at "I told you to put in the roll cage, I told you" being the stunt guy's only line. He got edited straight into a footnote.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 19, 2015

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
It's kinda hilarious how Effie got a black man fired because she didn't wanted a black person to be a chauffeur.

Golden Bee posted:

Yeah but the place he chose was in the first few he toured.

It was one of the first places they showed him pictures of, not toured. It seems like most of the issues they're currently having stem from poorly handled pre-production.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 19, 2015

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's kinda hilarious how Effie got a black man fired because she didn't wanted a black person to be a chauffeur.

He got paid his eight hours whether or not he's on cam. But I thought that too.

Edit: at 8:30 in the crowd shot, you can make out three black people. :horse:

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 19, 2015

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
*acts shocked that the director wants to shoot stuff that's in the script*
*doesn't lock the location until the day before shooting*
*gets mad when the director doesn't kiss their rear end for scraping together some bastardized version of what he wanted*

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Apparently she couldn't uptalk her way out of that.

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

That phone conversation between Jason and Matt Damon was kind of crazy, logistically. They got a crew in Jason's apartment at 5am and a crew in China for Damon's end.

This was the only thing I found interesting about the episode.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
I will say this for this season. This is the first time one one of these that I've actually wanted to see the movie.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

I started the season hating Jason and ended the season hating everyone else directly involved. I assume, judging by the editor's response, that I am completely justified.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Wax Lion posted:

That phone conversation between Jason and Matt Damon was kind of crazy, logistically. They got a crew in Jason's apartment at 5am and a crew in China for Damon's end.

This was the only thing I found interesting about the episode.

I assume they just hired one of the camera/sound pairs on the China movie to work an extra hour.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

AV Club's review of "Episode 9" is about what you'd expect. The movie is as bad as it looked during the season, and in fact is worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

I watched it in its entirety. I do think adding the bit explaining the bride's turn was needed.

The actor that played the dad was great. Everyone else was... I don't know what they were doing or why this was ever made. The thing just kind of starts in the middle and ends before it should. The jokes landed flat. I expected some kind of payoff for the defecating the Bentley gag but the line is just tossed in there.

• Locked thread