Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is SFV's Greatest Hero
John Connor
Daniel Larusso
Goku
View Results

• Locked thread
Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
hI GUYS THIS IS THE la Dinning thread no not LOUSIANA LA, LOS ANGELES LA!!

Post here wiTh all of the best dining spots in LA!

Me, I'm a valleyboi so I mostly know good places in the SFV, but feel free to contibute more stuff so we can all find out the best spots to eat!

So here is a list of some rteally great spots you gotta check out if you liek good food!

Thai Food:

mm mmm this is one of my favorite categories! The best place that I have been is Anajak Thai in Sherman Oaks. unfortunately i think they are on some hard times cause they have WAAAAY downsized their menu, but they still make some stuff from it when I ask which is nice. Try their green curry or their Garlic Beef for a tasty treat!

Another good choice is Thai BBQ. They have a few places but go to the one on Ventura and like Burbank/Crebs. Dont go to the one in Northridge it sucks. They have really good sweet sauce and super good ribs -- I'm even eating some leftovers from here for lunch today!

Chinee Food:
Oh boy here is another one of my favorites! I really like Silver Panda in Chatsworth, everything ive had there has been great but their volcano shrimp is the best EVER! You'd think it would be Spicey -- or *Muy Picante* -- with a name like that but it is actually sweet. Really good!

If you're up early and craving some Dim Sum you CANT beat A&W (not the rootbeer silly!) Seafood in Northridge. I love all the dishes but their calamari and their seafood eggroll and their shark eyeballs (dont know what they are actually called lol) are all super good!

Italian So you're in the mood for some pasta cooked up by a greasy i-tal, huh? Well I have just the place for you!

Oliva in Sherman Oaks is a GREAT dining experience for when you want to take a girl somewhere nice and hopefully score later. The food is really nice especially the rigatoni grantini affumaci -- THEY EVEN SERVE PIZZA!

Another cool spot is LA LAsagna Co. Look for some lasagna? This is your spot -- its even in the name!! They have really good lasagna and pizzas and they also deliver!

Filipino
I hope your hungry, cause there is a TON of great food at the Bamboo Bistro in Panorama lovely. I know I know the location sucks, but the food is worth it! Delicious and perfect breakfast after a night of partying with your buds! Check it out!

Now I know this might be confusing cause it has a mexican sounding name .... BUT THe Original Barrio FIESTA!!! in North Hills is another great place for some top tier Filipino food! I love their beef steak tagalog and their sinigang baboy is really good too!

Mexican

you cant have a best dining in LA thread without mentioning long-time Valley favorite Salsa and Beer in scenic Lake Balboa! Everything is delicious but the REAL reason to go is for their unbelievable salsa they give you with the chips! How do they make it so good?? Anyways, I would recommend the California Burrito if you go, but really you cant go wrong!

If youre in the mood for something quick La Fogata in Sherman Oaks is very good. I like their quesadillas a lot and also their burritos are good too!!

Other:

If you want a delicious deli sandwich that is like 5 pounds worth of meat PLUS fries, you gotta go to the classic Brent's Deli in Northridge! delicious sandwiches and SOOO MUCH FOOD! As a bonus it is located RIGHT NEXT DOOR to The StovePiper Lounge -- my old college watering hole, 2 for 1 drinks from 6am-noon and the chance to sit on a barstool that i might have once gotten blacked out on? You CANT miss this one guys! Tell 'em Nooner sent ya!

Crave Cafe Open 24 hours and offering declious sweet and savory crepes as well as great paninis? Please and Tahnk you! This place rules! I once saw a kid who looked JUST like Vincent Adultman from hit Netflix series BoJack Horseman here. Lmao get a look at this dumb kid: hahahahaha

If you want some tasty food AND a good time check out Vibe Cafe in Sherman Oaks, the food is soo good like seriously good and the portions are ENORMOUS I have no idea how they stay in business when they give you such big portions! As a bonus they also have a full bar and it is also a hookah lounge! What more could you ask for????

Whelp, There you have it guys! I'll try to add some more soon but please feel free to fill in your own recommendations, its a big city!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
***RESERVED FOR OP***

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
LA has some great food

I always liked going to Guido's on the west side (italian food) but it's been a while. Best loving Caesar dressing ever (which they make fresh tableside) and the kitchen is outstanding in general.

http://www.guidosla.com/

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

ive never been to LA but i love true detective season 2

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

would love some suggestions about where i can do some celeb watching and also get a bite to eat, not too expensive

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.
The Stocking Frame

They have good octopuss, it wasn't too gummy or crispy. Just right.

crushhigh
Aug 31, 2013

Duke's and moon shadows are the best places in Malibu. Go celeb watching at Malibu Country Mart grab a sandwich at Malibu Mutt.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

I rep the East Side mostly, so here goes my East of the 405 Dining Guide.

Thai: Jitlada is the mothership. This is the best place to take your bourgie rear end West Side friends because they will condescendingly love how crappy the neighborhood is, and then the kua kling will take the tops of their heads off. The menu is bewildering and approximately as long as the collected works of Don DeLillo -- stick to the southern Thai pages in the back and you should be OK. This is not the place to order pad Thai or other white people mall things; their best stuff is obscure, stinky and so hot it distorts the air around it. The service is legendarily terrible. If you bitch about it on Yelp you are a garbage person. Settle in for the evening and go with it.

Chinese: If you're not in the SGV for this you're doing it wrong. I am partial to Shanghai #1 Seafood Village, which doesn't have a website and looks like there should be a James Bond movie shootout happening in there at all times, and Newport Tan Cang Seafood for the spicy lobster which will make you smell like it for days and cause your checking account to shriek in agony but it's worth it. Also Din Tai Fung of course but only the one in Arcadia counts.

Mediterranean that isn't Zankou: Marouch. In a seedy strip mall next to a 7-11. The food is so good, the people are so nice, and the place is always so empty that you'll wonder how the hell it's still in operation, and then you'll notice the constant stream of harried-looking personal assistants coming and going for takeout. Best hummus on the planet, and the lamb kebab yogurt style will make you see stars.

Mexican: Could write a novel. Best taco trucks are Tacos Ariza, on Sunset next to the Senor Fish, and Taco Zone by the Vons on the northernmost end of Alvarado. I expect to have this assertion contested. As for oddities, I'm very partial to El Atacor in Lincoln Heights. They have a jukebox with a roll cage and they make the best tacos papas I've ever had, served in a pile and dressed like nachos. It is fun to watch vegetarians at adjacent tables crooning over these, because the drat things are fried in SO MUCH manteca. Best place for birthday carousing is Guelaguetza. Get your friends drunk enough to order the crickets.

My parents are in from out of town and they're paying: Jar or Musso and Frank, not because it's particularly good but because it's weird and an institution.

Chicken sandwich: Son of a Gun. I actually think Son of a Gun is better and more reliable than Animal. Come at me.

I want to charm the hell out of this here date: Sotto.

It is three in the morning and I feel like getting dressed up and pretending I'm in a David Lynch movie: Pacific Dining Car. Not because it's particularly good but because it's weird, it's a institution, and it's only affordable in the middle of the night.

Absurdly goodlooking wait staff: Baco Mercat. Everywhere has fine-as-hell servers but the bonus here is that the food is always excellent.

spite house fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 19, 2015

Souffle
Aug 9, 2005

spite house posted:

Chinese: If you're not in the SGV for this you're doing it wrong. I am partial to Shanghai #1 Seafood Village, which doesn't have a website and looks like there should be a James Bond movie shootout happening in there at all times, and Newport Tan Cang Seafood for the spicy lobster which will make you smell like it for days and cause your checking account to shriek in agony but it's worth it. Also Din Tai Fung of course but only the one in Arcadia counts.

Yes! Their sheng jian bao is ridiculously good. We always get 2 orders for the table (of 5) and at least 2 more orders to go.

For special occasions, n/naka for some amazing kaiseki ryouri. Chef Niki's signature dish is just a few bites of spaghettini with mentaiko, abalone, and truffles. It's loving delicious. Best pasta I've ever had. Now that chef Niki has been featured in Netflix's Chef's Table, you have to book wayyyy in advance. When we can't get a table at n/naka, we book Providence, known for their awesome seafood though everything they serve, seafood or not, is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Souffle posted:

When we can't get a table at n/naka, we book Providence, known for their awesome seafood though everything they serve, seafood or not, is great.
Yeah, Providence is terrific. It's one of those old-school-seeming restaurants, not scene-y, quiet and dim with tablecloths and proper service and nobody dealmaking noisily on cellphones, but the food isn't old-school at all. Also, they don't make a big deal about it but all their fish is sustainably sourced.

TEAYCHES posted:

ive never been to LA but i love true detective season 2
Oh my gosh, I missed this. You're kidding I know, but -- "Vinci" is actually Vernon, an incorporated area south of downtown that is legendary for corruption. Just south of Vernon is Bell, also legendary for corruption -- I think at one point their entire city council was under indictment for graft -- and home to Corazon y Miel, one of my favorite restaurants in SoCal and possibly anywhere. Fabulously innovative, hearty pan-Latin food and some of the best cocktails in town. If it was in Silver Lake you'd never be able to get a table in a million years.

• Locked thread