Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Age of mythology was by far my favorite Age of games, I'll have to look into what's new in this expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

here's the mumble information if any of you don't know what camping the stairs is:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714380

there's an age of empires room in there too so we don't even have to camp out like squatters in some other abandoned room

EDIT: new page, we gotta get goons playing this together, lets pile in mumble tomorrow and play some games, i'm available around 12 central time

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Zaphod42 posted:

Age of Empires and Age of Mythology are both loving awesome games, but if this thread is any judge then there's not a ton of goons playing. Some people probably play it here or there but don't come into the thread or try to play with other goons or anything. :smith:

Its sad, I was hoping there'd be an explosion of interest in Age 2 after the new expansion, because age 2 is the loving poo poo. But it was like a fart in the wind as far as SA cared.

Its a shame, but there's not much at all on the internet for either of the two expansions, I've not seen many reviews or discussion, the best would probably be a brief RockPaperShotgun or Kotaku article going 'Holy poo poo, a new AoM expansion!'.

I do find it kind of weird, I would have put the age of games under a similar heading as Homeworld or something where its an old, cultish RTS series that's gotten a bit of a revival in the last couple of years and still has a strong user base (on steam it gets up to 12,000 concurrent players a day), but it just seems like goons just aren't that into it.

Zaphod42 posted:

If anything I like blackforest because I'm bad, it lets me just turtle up like crazy which I what I usually prefer to do since I'm not pro.

I really like the "treaties" game mode they added (which is pretty much just no-rush with varying time limits), my friends and I always played Age2 as kids with an unofficial no-rush time limit of like, something crazy like an hour+. We'd each tech all the way fully up to the Imperial age without really raiding each other at ALL, then we'd meet on the field of battle with our perfect, max-population armies, and just have it out in one glorious braveheart-style affair. And then we'd just concede the match and start a new one.

No please god, I can't stand black forest, every game goes on for five hours and there's only a few civs that are really relevant there (particularly the Turks, but also the Portuguese, Celts, Koreans and Spanish).

I think if we want to play a more closed map that Arena is a good compromise, the stone walls prevent early raiding but they go down quickly as the game moves into the early imperial age at which point the map opens up a lot.

ninjewtsu posted:

I play aoe2 with some regularity

I think goons still play, we just need a bit more organization to this than throwing up a steam group and hoping it sorts itself out

Anyone free tomorrow? We could arrange a time and pile into the camping the stairs goon mumble.

I'm free probably around 12 central myself

I'm free from around 7pm onwards GMT, I don't know if we'll be able to organize American and European goons too well.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

khwarezm posted:

I think if we want to play a more closed map that Arena is a good compromise, the stone walls prevent early raiding but they go down quickly as the game moves into the early imperial age at which point the map opens up a lot.

:hf: Arena bro.
I watched the release day 'gameplay' (lots of crashes) from http://www.twitch.tv/resonance22 and it didn't look very good should I wait for the expansion to go on sale?
Also here is my steam profile if anyone wants to add me for AOEII action.
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198018615429/

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ive always liked Yucatan myself. Lots of food to get you started quick

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I should probably give a little rundown of my experience with the Tale of the Dragon actually.

Overall the standard is kind of erratic? At times it feels like a glorified mod, at others its easily ensemble quality. This is especially obvious with the new myths units, some look kind of terrible, especially the monkey king which is just a slightly re-textured and massively re-sized regular monkey model that shares the same model and animations, it looks... bad, sorry developers. Same goes for the Pixiu which is just a lion (all the same animations) with a misshapen head and tacked on wings, I don't like it all. On the other end of the scale is the Azure dragon, which is totally different to anything else in the game, this sort of slinking, serpentine dragon that floats a bit off the ground, it looks great. It can even float over water and fight ships, but unlike truly airborne units like the Phoenix its so close to the ground that melee units can engage it. I also like the Qilin, a sort of multicolored stag thing with nice animations and an interesting effect (it heals your units when it dies and is immune to god powers like traitor, so its a great thing to throw into a big fight).

The Chinese have a ton of human units with various effects, they were intentionally made to be a bit counter-intuitive so you have stuff like Cavalry that's good at killing infantry, (mounted) archers that are good at killing Cavalry and archers that are good at taking down buildings, there's a lot of variety though they might be a bit overpowered. They can also build gardens the generate a specific resource endlessly, they're very weak though to prevent them from being to OP (this is the only way Chinese can generate favor, and you can only set gardens to produce one resource at a time unlike plenty vaults which make everything).

The campaign is well made, it feels a lot like the older Ensemble campaigns, but its not too long, shorter than the titans one. There's a bunch of new maps, include a black forest clone if your into that sort of thing, with new assets and animals and it all looks very pretty. Finally the other civs have all been re-balanced and even been given new units to fill in some gaps, the Greeks now have a dedicated healer (the physician), the Egyptians get a raiding unit in the Classical age (the Khopesh swordsman, who can kill villagers effectively but sucks against everything that can actually fight back), the Norse get an elite archer unit in the Heroic age and the Atlanteans get a Heroic age siege unit (previously they had to go straight to the Mythic age to get fire Siphons or try to use their pretty useless destroyer unit). I'm not sure how I feel about that, it kinds of removes some of the unique flavor each civ had like the Norse having almost no ranged options and makes everything feel more homogenized. On the other hand some of this stuff like the Norse archer or Greek healer feels really good to have since in a lot of old games I'd be cursing that I don't have such units in situations where they'd be really useful.

Unfortunately the expansion seems to be very buggy for a lot of people though I haven't had any game breaking problems so far, so I think you should probably wait a while for some patches to get rolled out.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 29, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Poil posted:

I can't stand blackforest because there is just one slog at the chokepoints without any room to move. Also still butthurt after I started at the location closest to the enemy in a team game and the enforced random civ gave me the one that couldn't build stone walls. Guess how well that went.

If you think that's bad, one of the new forgotten expansion map tilesets specifically sets up teams so that one person is in the other team's base area pretty much, or they're on islands, I can't remember.

Sounds like a fun challenge, your teammates have to try to come support you, but they're busy trying to annihilate the guy on their side at the same time.

Definitely tough to be the one guy out there dangling though.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I had no idea this was coming out already and there isn't too much info out about it that I could find.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Well hopefully other people will see the thread and find out because this is some seriously cool poo poo.

I haven't gotten to play the mythology expansion yet but the empires expansion is really high quality. Its even better than forgotten empires, the campaigns are really professional.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

how does people who don't own the new mythology expansion playing with people who do own it work?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I would play this more but I don't trust my laptop to run it well, even with as old as it is :( Also I am not very good at RTSs. When I get a new computer this spring this and Mythology are near the top of my to-do list!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Oh wow I didn't realise this thread existed, I thought after the old threads got archived people just stopped caring about AoE.

ninjewtsu posted:

how does people who don't own the new mythology expansion playing with people who do own it work?

there are some bugs (Chinese have a GP that gives goats, if their ally without the expansion convert the goats and take them then the game breaks etc) but it's mostly fine.

I kinda wholeheartedly disagree with Khwarezm though, sorry to say. I think the expansion is pretty poo poo. My expectations were at pretty much rock bottom from the preview stuff and.. it managed to meet my expectations, basically. I will say that the flood god power is very satisfying, and the Atlantean onager looks a lot cooler than I expected (although the animation is out of sync), although I don't think any of the new unit additions to the old civs were a good thing gameplay-wise. The Greek one especially :geno:

The Chinese themselves aren't so terrible to play mechanically, but jesus christ, the craftmanship in this expansion is horrible. It feels like it was made by highschoolers. The animations are glitchy and jilted, the icons are recycled (one of the main Chinese buildings, the storehouse, is just the same icon as the plenty vault :(), the minor god portraits are clearly done by a very novice artist, the whole aesthetic for the Chinese feels really muddy compared to the other civs. I feel a bit bad trashing it 'cause it's clearly made by first-time game devs, but this thing should not have been $10.

On the other hand, the African expansion was The poo poo; I wasn't so keen on The Forgotten, but this new one really feels right at home in Age of Kings, the art is great and the units are interesting. Campaign is voice acted too.

e: I actually like the lion thing the Chinese get. It's a retexture but it disguises it pretty well. The Azure Dragon on the other hand looks horrendous. Chinese dragons are supposed to be all ethereal and floaty but this is just some cludgy blob that isn't even fully animated.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 30, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

That's really sad to hear after the age of kings expansion was so good and polished. I wonder if they just ran out of time/money or something and had to ship it as-is, its been in development for awhile now.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Judging by the time this and the African one were in development, I'm pretty sure they got all the experienced guys working on AoK:HD and the newbies on AoM. It's not even that it feels rushed so much, it just feels amateurish. Maybe they'll patch it up over time, the devs seem pretty active on heavengames/ reddit/ the steam forums, so they're clearly a bit invested. It's never gonna be ES quality though.

I feel like I'm being a bit harsh too, it's not that bad. The Chinese play fairly differently from the other civs, there are a few interesting god powers and myth units. I definitely wouldn't recommend it to anyone that isn't a diehard fan, but if you are then it's a good reason to try AoM again and see some new stuff.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

It would be pretty rad if people went back and remade the original campaigns with all the new civilizations.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Koramei posted:

Oh wow I didn't realise this thread existed, I thought after the old threads got archived people just stopped caring about AoE.

there are some bugs (Chinese have a GP that gives goats, if their ally without the expansion convert the goats and take them then the game breaks etc) but it's mostly fine.

I kinda wholeheartedly disagree with Khwarezm though, sorry to say. I think the expansion is pretty poo poo. My expectations were at pretty much rock bottom from the preview stuff and.. it managed to meet my expectations, basically. I will say that the flood god power is very satisfying, and the Atlantean onager looks a lot cooler than I expected (although the animation is out of sync), although I don't think any of the new unit additions to the old civs were a good thing gameplay-wise. The Greek one especially :geno:

The Chinese themselves aren't so terrible to play mechanically, but jesus christ, the craftmanship in this expansion is horrible. It feels like it was made by highschoolers. The animations are glitchy and jilted, the icons are recycled (one of the main Chinese buildings, the storehouse, is just the same icon as the plenty vault :(), the minor god portraits are clearly done by a very novice artist, the whole aesthetic for the Chinese feels really muddy compared to the other civs. I feel a bit bad trashing it 'cause it's clearly made by first-time game devs, but this thing should not have been $10.

On the other hand, the African expansion was The poo poo; I wasn't so keen on The Forgotten, but this new one really feels right at home in Age of Kings, the art is great and the units are interesting. Campaign is voice acted too.

e: I actually like the lion thing the Chinese get. It's a retexture but it disguises it pretty well. The Azure Dragon on the other hand looks horrendous. Chinese dragons are supposed to be all ethereal and floaty but this is just some cludgy blob that isn't even fully animated.

With regards to the portraits, some of them aren't great but I will say that Ensemble had some pretty lousy artwork at times too, I think the Hermes and and Hera protraits in the game look ghastly personally.

I really thought the Greeks needed a healer, almost every other civ has several options (Norse with healing spring and Valkyries, Atlanteans with Caladria and servants as well as techs that give heroes and myth units regeneration, Egyptians with Priests and Pharaohs) but for the Greeks you only got a single use god power or Apollo's temple of healing research that was not efficient at all (I also dislike Apollo since Manticores are pretty bad). The Greeks get some powerhouse myth units and heroes like Colossi or Bellerophon and it could be a major pain to not be able to heal up such expensive, powerful units after a fight in the same way other civs could.

I just can't stand the Pixiu, its looks like a literal piece of poo poo and its animations are sooo obviously recycled. I still like the dragons though, but I've seen a lot of people hate that so I think I might just be crazy.

I hope that the devs have some ongoing development process with this to iron out the problems and hopefully update some of the models and animations, they did that with the Forgotten and added in better sprites for new units as time went on after it was released. From everything I read in various other forums I think they really are committed to trying to carry on Ensemble's legacy, and the African Kingdoms proves they can do good work, but they don't seem to have much experience and even less resources to work with.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Friendly reminder to grab your mic and get on mumble in half an hour

If you don't have a mic still get in mumble

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Digital art was in a different era in 2002, it was a lot harder then; some of the portraits did still look a little lazy but they had solid fundamentals, lighting, a unified style etc. The new ones are all over the place and look like the kind of poo poo I was putting out when I first started doing digital art as a teenager. Even the cover art of the major gods is pretty amateurish, but the minor god portraits are just horrendous. I don't expect top tier work out of a clearly small and low-funded studio, but most of the art in the game is like one of the devs phoned up their budding artist nephew to do it for them rather than someone that's actually a professional artist. It's what has me sort of scathing about the future prospects of the game too- even if they do come back to try and fix the shoddy art and animations, I don't think they have the skills to do it.

As for the new units, I dunno, I was never a high level player or anything, but I always understood it that Greeks have high HP units and that's balanced in part by them not easily being able to heal. I haven't actually seen how effective their healer is I guess.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Get in mumble!

goons are gonna play some god drat age of games with other goons god drat it

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

ninjewtsu posted:

Get in mumble!

goons are gonna play some god drat age of games with other goons god drat it

I've never used Mumble before and just downloaded it, how do I find the server?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the server information is here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714380

from the connection menu:

click add new
input the address and port from the thread i linked
your username can be whatever you want! same for the label.

i don't remember if there's a field for a password or not. you either input the password then, or try to join and THEN input the password.

after you join, right click on your name and hit register. you won't be allowed to go to other channels until you do this

find me hanging out in the age of empires channel!

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Can't get it to work, it just won't connect.

Add me on steam and I'll work through that.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Koramei posted:

Digital art was in a different era in 2002, it was a lot harder then; some of the portraits did still look a little lazy but they had solid fundamentals, lighting, a unified style etc. The new ones are all over the place and look like the kind of poo poo I was putting out when I first started doing digital art as a teenager. Even the cover art of the major gods is pretty amateurish, but the minor god portraits are just horrendous. I don't expect top tier work out of a clearly small and low-funded studio, but most of the art in the game is like one of the devs phoned up their budding artist nephew to do it for them rather than someone that's actually a professional artist. It's what has me sort of scathing about the future prospects of the game too- even if they do come back to try and fix the shoddy art and animations, I don't think they have the skills to do it.

As for the new units, I dunno, I was never a high level player or anything, but I always understood it that Greeks have high HP units and that's balanced in part by them not easily being able to heal. I haven't actually seen how effective their healer is I guess.

I'm looking at gameplay videos, the art did catch my eye on being rather bad, the most notable being that Sun Wukong is the stupidest looking thing I've seen in awhile with his little hat, squanced up face and giant hands.

And they can be lazy in places when it comes to animation and models, in their release day stream video I noticed Azure dragons model turns into a small serpent model when it's knocked around.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I'm loving AoE2 HD but my God that is the worst Scottish accent I've ever heard in the 'Learn to Play' campaign. It'd be better if Shrek was teaching you how to play the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

nexus6 posted:

I'm loving AoE2 HD but my God that is the worst Scottish accent I've ever heard in the 'Learn to Play' campaign. It'd be better if Shrek was teaching you how to play the game.

That's the William Wallace Learning Campaign, which is like a running joke at this point :3:

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Almost as bad as the first AoE III campaign hero. A'm Scoatisch yi Turkish doag! :argh:

Speaking of which, has anyone checked out Napoleonic Era recently? I've not played in a couple of years and was wondering if they've changed the :pwn: balance issues and mechanics.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Age of Mythology is 80% on the Steam sale, and I'm about to pick it up. Is the new expansion worth a couple extra dollars?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Ehhh. Depends on how much you liked Age of Mythology.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Koramei posted:

Ehhh. Depends on how much you liked Age of Mythology.

Haven't played it :v: I'll just start with the base game.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

C-Euro posted:

Haven't played it :v: I'll just start with the base game.

The newest expansion is really glitchy and nothing has really been sorted out since it was released, its generally of lower quality compared to the rest of the game. The extended edition comes with tons of content as is anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?
:parrot:

khwarezm posted:

The newest expansion is really glitchy and nothing has really been sorted out since it was released, its generally of lower quality compared to the rest of the game. The extended edition comes with tons of content as is anyway.

Is the new expansion still buggy, or has it been fixed?

• Locked thread