Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
After Yellow is when the series comes into its own. They also stop doing things like letting Ground-types get beaten by Electric attacks, which really makes me wonder how Red beat Giovanni. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Solid stuff. Gold was pretty cool, Yellow had some ridiculous poo poo.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So, what's the general consensus on Sird? Good or bad character?

I'm kinda ambivalent on her personally.

Fun fact about Sird. She's actually based on the design of an old Pokemon card called Rocket's Admin.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Fun fact about Sird. She's actually based on the design of an old Pokemon card called Rocket's Admin.

I actually didn't know that. That's pretty cool!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I just wish the (legal) digital verson wasn't such a pig to get. I don't, generally speaking, have space for hundreds of volumes so it'd be the perfect thing to get on Viz's App or Comixology but it's geo locked.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

After Yellow is when the series comes into its own. They also stop doing things like letting Ground-types get beaten by Electric attacks, which really makes me wonder how Red beat Giovanni. :psyduck:

Well Red thundered the gently caress out of Gio himself.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Red cheated, is how he won.

Also, i'd say the series really starts picking up at Yellow not after it. Yellow's getaway from Lorelei is way more creative and interesting than basically anything in the first arc outside of some of Green's stuff and it gets even stronger from there. It also uses its cast a lot better than RBG did. I do like GSC better, but the Yellow arc is still really good.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The Yellow arc is where they introduce stand powers.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, that's not to say that Yellow isn't good. I just found GSC to be largely better.

I'm kind of disappointed Agatha never showed up again, as well. It's kind of the reason I want another Kanto remake game.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I will never forget Red's magical electric-proof fingerless gloves.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

BlitzBlast posted:

https://youtu.be/8yvEYKRF5IA?t=1m17s

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Oh yeah, that was a thing. :allears:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

mabels big day posted:

The Yellow arc is where they introduce stand powers.

Did they ever retroactively give RBG stands?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Did they ever retroactively give RBG stands?

I'm gonna say Blue being able to psychically communicate using Golduck and everything Green does with Ditto counts. I don't remember FRLG very well but there was some stuff with Red and Deoxys that probably counts too.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Golduck just transmitted its thoughts via the Pokedex, as I recall.

But yeah, there was some pretty neat stuff done in the manga. I liked how Courtney used berries.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yeah, at the end of G/S/C Oak explains the powers of all the Dex holders. Red, Green, and Blue end up with really generic stuff, though.

Speaking of the G/S/C ending, I never really liked how Gold actually did have a special power. It was a lot cooler when he decided to make a stand with or without some crazy superpower, especially since he forced his way into getting a Pokedex in the first place.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Yeah, at the end of G/S/C Oak explains the powers of all the Dex holders. Red, Green, and Blue end up with really generic stuff, though.

Speaking of the G/S/C ending, I never really liked how Gold actually did have a special power. It was a lot cooler when he decided to make a stand with or without some crazy superpower, especially since he forced his way into getting a Pokedex in the first place.

I don't think they're powers, but just different aspects of being a trainer that they "specialize" in, and that idea kind of fell out of importance after GSC anyway. What's more important is the cool stuff they do with their Pokemon or talents or whatever, and not the vague role they are supposed to represent. Oak is full of poo poo.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Don't all the RSE Trainers have titles now, too?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Last I checked, every single Dex holder has been shoehorned into some sort of role. It's super awkward.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
What can they even come up with anymore? Mini game Superstar?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

They've just ditched trainer roles entirely and are making up titles now.

Ruby: Charmer
Sapphire: Conqueror
Emerald: Calmer
Diamond: Empathizer
Pearl: Determiner
Platinum: Understander
Black/White: Dreamer

BW2 and X/Y haven't progressed far enough for their main characters to get silly titles. Incidentally, I'm not sure which are dumber names: X and Y or "Lack-Two" and "Whi-Two"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I can't wait for the plot twist that X was a Maverick Hunter all along.

But seriously, yeah, naming them Xavier and Yvonne and then having them go by X and Y as nicknames or something would've been less odd.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

They've just ditched trainer roles entirely and are making up titles now.

Ruby: Charmer
Sapphire: Conqueror
Emerald: Calmer
Diamond: Empathizer
Pearl: Determiner
Platinum: Understander
Black/White: Dreamer

BW2 and X/Y haven't progressed far enough for their main characters to get silly titles. Incidentally, I'm not sure which are dumber names: X and Y or "Lack-Two" and "Whi-Two"

Lack-two and Whi-two are way dumber.

Also, wasn't Yellow the only one with a stand power and everyone else was just talented at a specific aspect of Pokemon. Except I guess Gold's thing was kind of treated as wholly unique to him. (poor Silver though, having Trading as your special talent is pretty lame.)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It'd be great if they took their skills to Danganronpa levels of ridiculous to the point where Silver is able to not just trade Pokemon, but can barter extremely well among other things.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Reading the Emerald chapter in non-broken English makes it so much better. It's probably the best of the arcs that aren't based on the main story of the games. Unfortunately the Viz version censors Emerald peeing out of windows.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

mabels big day posted:

Reading the Emerald chapter in non-broken English makes it so much better. It's probably the best of the arcs that aren't based on the main story of the games. Unfortunately the Viz version censors Emerald peeing out of windows.

B-but surfboarding on lava!

I gave up on the manga after they brought Pryce back. It was the final bullshit "can't let anyone die permanently" straw after Ruby's Celebi ex Machina. Seriously, if you count the movies, the anime has had more characters permanently die on screen.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

B-but surfboarding on lava!

I gave up on the manga after they brought Pryce back. It was the final bullshit "can't let anyone die permanently" straw after Ruby's Celebi ex Machina. Seriously, if you count the movies, the anime has had more characters permanently die on screen.

I'm ok with it because they're all extremely cool. Also I can't wait to see how they bring Maxie and Archie back to life.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I haven't read this in a long time but I binge read a lot of it a couple years back and really enjoyed it. Crystal's ball-kicking (lol) style was very cool to me.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

mabels big day posted:

I can't wait to see how they bring Maxie and Archie back to life.

This is probably the only thing about ORAS I'm not looking forward to.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I got the two HGSS volumes and reread them today. Its a bit better than I remember. I appreciate that it just cuts right to the point and doesn't linger on the Pokeathlon like Platinum did for the Battle Frontier. I mean it's still a mess but that's just how this manga is.

Big rambling spoilers and speculation ahead

I think the 4 admins sucked and were underdeveloped, except Petrel. Proton literally did nothing. Also its hard to buy that their lame Zubats and Glooms and the like are supposed to be stronger than Crystal's Pokemon but whatever. Petrel was cool at least.

I don't get Giovanni or Lance at all. I mean they adapted the whole Giovanni/Celebi event well enough, and I guess its best to keep a status quo for Giovanni to be the de facto leader of Team Rocket on the off chance he needs to come back for future games. Lance on the other hand, I have no idea what the hell he's supposed to be since the Yellow arc ended. He's just sort of around not doing anything.

I know some people don't like Pryce coming back but come on. The three villains from the first 2 gens teaming up to help save the day is too good to pass up. And Pryce spending all that time within the rear end Crack of Time is pretty cool. Dude just takes a Roar of Time to the face like its nothing. Kind of weird that he just apparently goes back to being a gym leader after all that which is kinda funny but whatever, the Kanto gym leaders went back without much question either and Pryce seems over it all anyway. Also, crazy theory I have no evidence for: Diamond is related to Pryce, because they have the same hairstyle.

They could have made it a little more clear how the events of HGSS shaped DPP, like I don't think it's entirely obvious that the legendaries that Arceus creates are the same ones that show up in DPP? Honestly I'm not sure of this myself. And the egg that Gold mentions he needs to hatch from Red's and Emerald's Snorlax is supposed to be Diamond's Munchlax, which is easy enough to infer, but how did Diamond get it? Perhaps as a gift from Grandpa Pryce? I think I'm on to something here.

Last thing I'm gonna say: lol at Silver being a huge fan of the robot mecha anime from the very start. That's perfect.

I'm gonna get and read the BW arc soon, and then I'll just have to wait forever for the rest of the arcs to finish and get localized

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The BW arc sucks.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Oh dear, I've only just started on it, should I ditch before I get sad?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Oh dear, I've only just started on it, should I ditch before I get sad?

All the gym fights are good but if you are expecting a satisfying ending or for White to do anything you'll be disappointed. The end seriously feels like they just ran out of time and decided to try to clean it all up in BW2 which I don't think they ever did. It has its moments that are worth reading though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'd say the BW arc starts really badly, but gets better. That said, the start is the worst out of any arc: very formulaic (Black/White get to new place, problem happens, Black uses Musha to clear his head, someone explains what Black is doing as if the audience had forgotten it already after one chapter, problem is solved) with apparently very one-note characters (Black especially). Once it gets over that, though, it's pretty enjoyable, Black is a weird subversion of the usual idiot hero archetype by being actually a massive bookworm who properly prepares for his challenges, while White grows a lot from a non-combatant to an actually worthwhile part of the team.

But yeah, the final fight is very much all Black, White doesn't do anything. I wouldn't say the ending is unsatisfying though, it's merely setting up for the next series, which makes sense considering how it's the first time Special has to work with actual sequels instead of a third version from where they can get a little plot for a short arc.

I'd put BW easily above Emerald and FRLG quality-wise. It's no RSE or DP, but it's worth the read in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I bought the actual official box sets. Apparently, the Viz release of the B/W arc just flat out ends abruptly as soon as N flys away on Zekrom after the fight, which is why it feels especially lovely, even though it continues on for a little bit longer to better set up the sequel. That's pretty dumb. Having read the last little bit, holy poo poo that's a wayyyy better hook to end it on. And Black wearing the shirt too... that's what I'm talking about, that kind of thing is what was missing.

• Locked thread