Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
imurdaddy415
Sep 15, 2015
Currently, I am 26 years old and have a stable job with good pay and make money on the side doing other side jobs. I have a roth IRA, but I want to plan for the future of my son (who is under 2), his college, and myself. What would be the proper steps to head in the right directions? I have no problem in long-term investments.

Thank you for any input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

imurdaddy415 posted:

Currently, I am 26 years old and have a stable job with good pay and make money on the side doing other side jobs. I have a roth IRA, but I want to plan for the future of my son (who is under 2), his college, and myself. What would be the proper steps to head in the right directions? I have no problem in long-term investments.

Thank you for any input.

There are state pre-saving payment plans in most (all?) states called "529 Plans." Worth considering to see if they are appropriate for you.

What are your specific goals (if you know). It's OK if you're not sure now but:

When would you like to retire / stop working?

What lifestyle would you prefer?

How much can you save per month after taxes and living expenses?

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
You might also check out the Business/Finance/Career subforum too, if you haven't already: http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=200

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
what the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for!?
Canned, too-brief response:

1) Buy index funds and don't touch them, perhaps setting up a monthly purchasing program
2) Don't buy luxury items
3) Don't invest in high-cost mutual or hedge funds. They rarely perform better than an index fund because of their suffocating fees
4) Buy a few basic books to familiarize yourself with entry-level stuff. I recommend Ric Edelman's "The Truth About Money", "Investing for Dummies" (actually a great book), and if you are feeling very ambitious and want to know more about equities, "The Intelligent Investor" by Benjamin Graham
5) Make a budget and know what you have coming in and out
6) This is where I will diverge from the crowd and recommend buying assets in real things like real estate, gold, silver, farms, etc as a counter balance to a lot of the paper investments you will make over the years like stocks, bonds and holding cash. It's not worth going into for your purposes but the amount of money printing and government intervention should be concerning to anyone analyzing their long-term financial plans

• Locked thread