Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
It's still not dead. Why isn't it dead? What keeps this garbage heap perpetually burning?

They just had a double xp weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Minrad posted:

It's still not dead. Why isn't it dead? What keeps this garbage heap perpetually burning?

They must of nabbed some pretty deep pocketed whales.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Zil posted:

They must of nabbed some pretty deep pocketed whales.

Money projections don’t bear out for that. A lot of folks are assuming contractual obligation.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Minrad posted:

NCSoft is having Carbine develop yet another game, so to shut down Wildstar would be some bad optics. Theyre apparently just going to eat the cost of keeping the game running on life support while Carbine develops something new. And yes, this plan of NCSoft's does sound absolutely batshit insane to anyone even vaguely familiar with WS's development history.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Didn’t this get released in China? Is it successful in that market, at least?

Coworker still plays housing sim every so often. I’m sure there is erp involved because, rabbit race.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

onesixtwo posted:

Didn’t this get released in China? Is it successful in that market, at least?

They were going to and then I think they didn't. Then they laid off most of their staff.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I think someone at NCSoft just has a colossal boner for Wildstar. They shut down so many projects for this but it trundles on.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
They had Black Friday deals, too. The subreddit keeps talking about them and how not dead the game is, which is hilarious to watch and I highly recommend it.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
They really need to bring back a updated Tabula Rasa and/or that one car combat game. Bandwidth is good enough and Destiny kind of shows there is a market for a online action RPG with mouse aiming + classes.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

BexGu posted:

that one car combat game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_Assault

I completely forgot about this, but even if this isn't the same game, I definitely remember playing this with old EQ guildmates for an extremely brief period of time. According to https://biobreak.wordpress.com/mmo-timeline/ it only lasted for 14 months!

These were a lot of the same people obsessed with Earth and Beyond. I think I just realized the internet friends I made as a teenager all had terrible tastes, and here I am posting in the wildstar thread about lovely MMOs I've played since then. This does not bode well for me..

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 28, 2017

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

onesixtwo posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_Assault

I completely forgot about this, but even if this isn't the same game, I definitely remember playing this with old EQ guildmates for an extremely brief period of time. According to https://biobreak.wordpress.com/mmo-timeline/ it only lasted for 14 months!

quote:

Shutdown

Due to lack of subscribers, a decision was made to terminate support for the product. This was communicated by the company on the Public Forums one month prior to shutting down. On July 2, 2007, it was officially announced that Auto Assault's servers would be shut down August 31 and that the subscribers' accounts would be 'reconciled'. Offers to continue to run servers by various parties were denied, but additional “Parting Gifts” were sent via e-mail with, "...opportunities to take a part in some of our other products, including Richard Garriott’s Tabula Rasa and City of Heroes..."

Those poor bastards......

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'll be honest, if there were Wildstar private servers with some XP adjustments and a few other changes to make it less stupid, I would 1000% play it.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
I remember beta testing Auto Assault and thinking it was pretty cool for what it was. Same with Hellgate London, mostly because I was one of the few lucky people who didn't encounter horrible game breaking bugs or constant disconnects with either of those games. I ended up not buying them since I wanted to wait and see reviews/reactions.

I bought Wildstar on day one. I'm growing stupider with age.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Mayor McCheese posted:

I remember beta testing Auto Assault and thinking it was pretty cool for what it was. Same with Hellgate London, mostly because I was one of the few lucky people who didn't encounter horrible game breaking bugs or constant disconnects with either of those games. I ended up not buying them since I wanted to wait and see reviews/reactions.

I bought Wildstar on day one. I'm growing stupider with age.

I bought the Collector's Edition of Auto Assault from Best Buy for $5...about a year after it had shut down. I think BB and Wal-Mart had a huge selection of dead MMOs for purchase at one point.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm sure I've seen a boxed copy of Fury on shelves in the last couple years.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

This must have been back in the day when they just dumped all the games that werent selling in the bargain bin and let nature takes its course. Buying something out of the bin was always a gamble but I found a few really good games like M1 Tank Platoon that way.

Also I didnt realize Fury actually had boxes in stores. I thought it was purely digital distribution since no sane store would give it shelf space.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

These were a lot of the same people obsessed with Earth and Beyond. I think I just realized the internet friends I made as a teenager all had terrible tastes, and here I am posting in the wildstar thread about lovely MMOs I've played since then. This does not bode well for me..
Earth & Beyond was awesome. Died before its time, RIP Westwood

Amante fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 29, 2017

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Amante posted:

Earth & Beyond was awesome. Died before its time, RIP

Like every other loving MMO out there, there's a private server/emulator for this which isn't TOO horrible but yeah.

The game was a lot more fun in my memories. You get about the same poo poo from playing Rebel Galaxy.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

CoffeeBooze posted:

NCSoft is having Carbine develop yet another game, so to shut down Wildstar would be some bad optics.

God I hope Carbine kept whoever did the Adventures/Shiphands and shitcanned whoever decided to throw in warplots in the last second and also whoever decided to "hardcore things up" in beta.

The adventures were all really good content except for the Oregon trail one.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

I'll be honest, if there were Wildstar private servers with some XP adjustments and a few other changes to make it less stupid, I would 1000% play it.

XP adjustments, completely gutting the runing system and making the dungeons a bit more accessible (The raids were more easily puggable than the loving dungeons that you had to complete to successfully raid) and completely loving gutting/redoing the pvp system and yeah maybe.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Thumbtacks posted:

Sad when the best prospect for 'saving an MMO' is to sell it to another company, and see if it's even possible to gently caress up any worse than Carbine has

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
The sad thing is, they worked on fixing a lot of poo poo that people bitched about, but they did it inter spiced with cash grabs, and at a glacial pace. Things as simple as "Don't make me spend real life cash or my entire wallet in video game cash to loving fix my runes"

I don't know a single person who raided end game that wasn't basically playing heavy market games just so they wouldn't have to shell out RL cash JUST to afford to "Fix" gear upgrades. I only got off scott free because during FTP I still had like 300 of those dumb wildstar lockbox things and the mounts that popped from them were ultra rare by that point and I had five.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Rhymenoserous posted:

(The raids were more easily puggable than the loving dungeons that you had to complete to successfully raid)

I didn't get deep into the first raid in beta but this was absolutely loving true even before they scrapped 40 man raiding. Carbine hosed up hard by adding such a dick wrenching attunement at the last second.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

The sad thing is, they worked on fixing a lot of poo poo that people bitched about, but they did it inter spiced with cash grabs, and at a glacial pace.

I think the thing that really made people wary of coming back and giving the game another shot was the multiple botched relaunches, those combined with Carbines seeming hostility towards its player base were a really bad combo. Stupid and mean is not a good approach to running an MMO.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

CoffeeBooze posted:

I think the thing that really made people wary of coming back and giving the game another shot was the multiple botched relaunches, those combined with Carbines seeming hostility towards its player base were a really bad combo. Stupid and mean is not a good approach to running an MMO.

it's so dumb too since their early catchphrase was "The devs are listening". I guess they were listening to the wails and moans of the people suffering through a terrible launch? They sure weren't taking criticism well.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Rhymenoserous posted:

it's so dumb too since their early catchphrase was "The devs are listening". I guess they were listening to the wails and moans of the people suffering through a terrible launch? They sure weren't taking criticism well.

"Let's wait for a boss to get killed, then buff it- because- gently caress this big, dumb game." -WildStar's Raids Team 2015

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

God.. doing a dungeon with the stupid ‘void zones for everyone’ was awful enough as it is, i could never imagine being insane enough to do a 40-man of that seizure.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Dude you remember that optional air elemental boss in the dragon dungeon that had that crazy hair trigger interrupt? I can't even remember what he did just that it was obnoxious.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Interrupt armor in dungeon finder content.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

CoffeeBooze posted:

NCSoft is having Carbine develop yet another game, so to shut down Wildstar would be some bad optics. Theyre apparently just going to eat the cost of keeping the game running on life support while Carbine develops something new. And yes, this plan of NCSoft's does sound absolutely batshit insane to anyone even vaguely familiar with WS's development history.

Aren't there like 20 people left in carbine? What the gently caress can a team that size develop now days, a phone game?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Aren't there like 20 people left in carbine? What the gently caress can a team that size develop now days, a phone game?

Looks up Dual Universe.

Being made by a team of 25, if I recall.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Thumbtacks posted:

Me too man, the core gameplay, is pretty loving fun, the housing is pretty well done. Take out all the F2P poo poo and the grind it could really be a lot of fun. But like someone else mentioned its someone's baby and that someone probably had a 'vision'.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
That vision is playing Vanilla WoW forever.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Clarste posted:

That vision is playing Vanilla WoW forever, CUPCAKE.

You forgot THE EDGE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
if your cupcakes have an edge you are doing it wrong

• Locked thread