Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sounds like no prime app on the new appletv :mad:

quote:

Amazon.com Inc. is flexing its e-commerce muscles to gain an edge on competitors in the video-streaming market by ending the sale of devices from Google Inc. and Apple Inc.

The Seattle-based Web retailer sent an e-mail to its marketplace sellers that it will stop selling Apple TV and Google’s Chromecast. No new listings for the products will be allowed and posting of existing inventory will be removed Oct. 29, Amazon said. Amazon’s streaming video service, called Prime Video, doesn’t run easily on rival’s devices.

"Over the last three years, Prime Video has become an important part of Prime," Amazon said in the e-mail. "It’s important that the streaming media players we sell interact well with Prime Video in order to avoid customer confusion."

Roku Inc.’s hardware, Microsoft Corp.’s Xbox, and Sony Corp.’s PlayStation, which work with Amazon’s Prime Video streaming service, aren’t affected, Amazon said.

Amazon’s Fire TV stick, which plugs into an HDMI port to connect televisions with streaming services such as Netflix and Prime Video, is the company’s best-selling electronic device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lnao

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i sure am tired of all these streaming wars

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

As a Millennial I posted:

i sure am tired of all these streaming wars

*pauses a terraria stream* saaaaame

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

quote:

"Over the last three years, Prime Video has become an important part of Prime,"

lol nope

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i've rented one (1) video on prime video. the experience compared favorably to vudu, but just barely.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
lol where's the DoJ antitrust investigation

oh, right :(

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

welcome to amazon prime

you're in canada gently caress off you don't get movies

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
streaming is bullshit that requires internet access to work. talk about music ableism

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

oh jeez where will i buy an apple tv now?

*walk into an apple retail location*

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
stream of urine

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

flakeloaf posted:

you're in canada gently caress off

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

oh btw the video team at amazon is fully aware of how bad the ux is it's that way on purpose so people think there's more free stuff than there is and also because people might buy a non-free thing accidentally

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
prime video and their strange windows downloader widget thing was hosed up to hell on the desktop. never tired on phone, but on my dads fire tv it was alright. not sure why ude use it instead of something else. hehe. well. idk. they got some original content? seems like the cable tv wars all voer again but this time more expensive+suckier for the end user. c0oL. anyways, idk.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

qirex posted:

oh btw the video team at amazon is fully aware of how bad the ux is it's that way on purpose so people think there's more free stuff than there is and also because people might buy a non-free thing accidentally

this is a good business strategy. a million boring friday night couples with a million touch devices will eventually produce a sale

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

basically amazon doesn't want to give 30% to apple [because that's probably greater than their margin on things in the first place]

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
wow business sure is full of people behaving like toddlers

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
i mean take the things businesses do and act them out with toddlers in a preschool and it's funny how thin the abstraction has to be

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Prime Music and Video suck and ate bad compared to Pandora and Netflix. Like, I fine care that it's free, I'll just pay for the one that's actually good

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
iirc curb was on prime video but not others. i guess its on hbo go now tho so w/e

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Netflix sucks aside from their original shows.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Shaggar posted:

this is sadly true

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Shaggar posted:

actually its good, op

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

qirex posted:

the instant video ui is just bad all over. on some devices / app versions, movies and tv shows have different sized rectangles for their list entries, so if it's all movies you get a list somewhat like Netflix but if it's tv shows they are like lolhueg wide rectangles and only about 3 fit on your screen at a time. and they still have the issue in some cases where each season of a tv show gets its own list entry, so I have to scroll past 6 seasons of some garbage to get to the rest of the stuff in this category, b/c who cares about designing a useful ui flow when you can just c+p the code we've been using to sell dvds for 15 years

also how prime video+music is tied only to your main prime email account, not any of the secondary ones lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the instant video ui is just bad all over. on some devices / app versions, movies and tv shows have different sized rectangles for their list entries, so if it's all movies you get a list somewhat like Netflix but if it's tv shows they are like lolhueg wide rectangles and only about 3 fit on your screen at a time. and they still have the issue in some cases where each season of a tv show gets its own list entry, so I have to scroll past 6 seasons of some garbage to get to the rest of the stuff in this category, b/c who cares about designing a useful ui flow when you can just c+p the code we've been using to sell dvds for 15 years

also how prime video+music is tied only to your main prime email account, not any of the secondary ones lol

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Doc Block posted:

lol where's the DoJ antitrust investigation

oh, right :(

theyr'e busy writing up the stuff giving google a free pass, apple is next after theyve done that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
war ... war never buffers. ...

• Locked thread