Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

A while back, I was in Jamaica on vacation. Among the many interesting things that I saw, the spider below was one of the coolest. It's hard to gauge the size of the spider from these images. The best I can say is that the red flower seen in the back was long, like at least 8". The flower wasn't that far away, max a couple feet. The spider was big enough that I easily spotted it while walking and had to stop to take a picture. At least 1 inch in body size? The most I can remember is that I considered it to be really big.

I have visited a number of insect identification websites. Each time I think I've found what it is, I find something else that it seems to match it. We don't get very big insects where I live. Maybe a large wolf spider or moth but that's about it. Anyone know what it is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
It's a Nephila

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
That's a banana spider.

E: ^^ Also that. Dammit one of these days I'll be the first person to identify a spider.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Link to the specific species?

edit: I just realized the origin of the word specific.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Banana Spider is the species. The scientific name is Cupiennius and there are a couple of different sub species it could be. Just FYI I found all this out by googling "spider+jamaica".

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug
GIS for jamaica spider puts me on something called "golden garden spider"

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Banana Spider is the species. The scientific name is Cupiennius and there are a couple of different sub species it could be. Just FYI I found all this out by googling "spider+jamaica".

Banana spiders just refers to spiders that hang out in bundles of bananas, the Cupiennius is the highly poisonous spider that hangs out in bananas. The type of spider this is, is exactly what IM_DA_DECIDER says which is a Nephila or the common name of "Golden silk orb-weaver." These hang out everywhere on the Caribbean side of Costa Rica in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca and are harmless.

imurdaddy415
Sep 15, 2015
I thought this was about digging up bones

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

johnny sack posted:

Link to the specific species?

edit: I just realized the origin of the word specific.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephila_clavipes

Ought to be these.

Their relatives are common everywhere tropical. They like to string webs between trees so they can catch bugs or land on your face. Harmless though, even if the biggest ones can be 2 inches from head to spinneret.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

keykey posted:

Banana spiders just refers to spiders that hang out in bundles of bananas, the Cupiennius is the highly poisonous spider that hangs out in bananas. The type of spider this is, is exactly what IM_DA_DECIDER says which is a Nephila or the common name of "Golden silk orb-weaver." These hang out everywhere on the Caribbean side of Costa Rica in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca and are harmless.

Poisonous?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Hogge Wild posted:

Poisonous?

Every spider has venom to a certain degree, it's how they break down their food, to what degree does it affect a human would depend on what species of spider you're dealing with. The Nephila is definitely venomous, from what I've read it's venom typically lasts around 24 hours, that is if you're not allergic. If you're allergic, obviously all sorts of fun things can happen which is in seeing a hospital territory. Spiders are no different than anything else, typically the brighter the colors, the more dangerous it is. If you want to know more about how different or potent a species is, you can check this place out: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/forumdisplay.php?16-Bite-Reports it's a wealth of knowledge.. Albeit the type of knowledge nobody wants to know about and is mostly tarantula based but is a great resource for what to expect with a bite from a certain species.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
For future reference, the critterquest thread is usually pretty good about identifying species of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

keykey posted:

Lol they are definitely not harmless their bite hurts like a MOTHERFUCKER

• Locked thread