Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

your speedo is miscalibrated (very common) and you are being a loving jackass. if you are so rasta about it, how about dont block all of traffic passing the semi at +1 mph ? you know you are the reason traffic forms right?

Traffic forms from the 'gently caress you got mine mentality, really. Basically people unable to shift lanes because 'gently caress you got my position, you don't get to cut which causes a rippling effect that propagates backwards.

This can be caused by accidents, or more likely, merging of two highways or interstates.

If there's enough gaps, speedy drivers can duck and weave without slowing, and slower drivers can be all chill about it. But nope, gently caress you, got mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. McGibblets
Sep 17, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

nullEntityRNG posted:

Traffic forms from the 'gently caress you got mine mentality, really. Basically people unable to shift lanes because 'gently caress you got my position, you don't get to cut which causes a rippling effect that propagates backwards.

This can be caused by accidents, or more likely, merging of two highways or interstates.

If there's enough gaps, speedy drivers can duck and weave without slowing, and slower drivers can be all chill about it. But nope, gently caress you, got mine.

I don't think you thought this through very well. Sleep on it and try again tomorrow.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Mr. McGibblets posted:

I don't think you thought this through very well. Sleep on it and try again tomorrow.

You're right :(: I'll take a nap.

kant
May 12, 2003

Node posted:

Nope, he's going the speed limit. He won't be the cause of any accidents and won't be at fault for any. Manchildren driving their big vroom vrooms will have to deal with it.

Nonsense. The roads are safest when everyone is driving the same speed. When a few are driving significantly slower then we have a problem. This is what the OP is complaining about. But instead of actually changing his driving habits he's whining on an internet forum hoping that the rest of the world will change. Fault doesn't matter if you end up dead. Stop being so self-centered.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I drive in the UK, where most drivers are considerate and pay attention to the road :)

I blame the prevalence of automatics in the USA: without the need to be changing gears manually, people feel that they have a 'free' hand which they then use to phone, text, eat, smoke etc, instead of concentrating on their driving.

Basically, mandatory manual gearboxes should be enforced across the USA is what I'm saying.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

I drive in the UK, where most drivers are considerate and pay attention to the road :)

I blame the prevalence of automatics in the USA: without the need to be changing gears manually, people feel that they have a 'free' hand which they then use to phone, text, eat, smoke etc, instead of concentrating on their driving.

Basically, mandatory manual gearboxes should be enforced across the USA is what I'm saying.

I don't think you're grasping how easy it is to get a license in the US comparatively. You don't even have to pass a road test if you take driver's ed in most states.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
The speed limit on the toll road here in Austin is 80mph, and you can regularly get up to 90 and have a state trooper drive past you without giving a gently caress.

Of course, I pay $15/day for this bullshit, but it beats driving through traffic.

Mr. McGibblets
Sep 17, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Pistol_Pete posted:

I learned from my mom that you can put on makeup, drink coffee, talk on the phone and drive a manual. Face it Americans are just better at everything.

Mr. McGibblets fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 4, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

kant posted:

Nonsense. The roads are safest when everyone is driving the same speed. When a few are driving significantly slower then we have a problem. This is what the OP is complaining about. But instead of actually changing his driving habits he's whining on an internet forum hoping that the rest of the world will change. Fault doesn't matter if you end up dead. Stop being so self-centered.

Nope. Follow the rules. If you want to rebel, write an angsty post on your livejournal about it. Let the mature people handle big boy things like this.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

TheRamblingSoul posted:

This is especially retarded since drunks tend to speed up on the road while potheads slow down out of paranoia and being high.

They are mainly targeting amphetamines but the test does mdma and pot as well. You can be loaded as you like on benzos and opiates.

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
The chance of you causing an accident doesn't have much to do with your speed. The primary factor is speed differential, the difference between your speed and the average speed of traffic. You going 70 with 80 as the average speed (usually it's 10 over the posted limit on highways) is just as dangerous as driving 90mph on the same road. For the love of God don't pull into the passing lane at 10+mph less than the speed of traffic, you're going to cause an accident. If you get some perverse enjoyment out of frustrating most people on the road go ahead, but recognize that you're contributing to the risk of death for you and everyone else on that highway by refusing to move with the flow of traffic.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

teardrop posted:

The chance of you causing an accident doesn't have much to do with your speed. The primary factor is speed differential, the difference between your speed and the average speed of traffic. You going 70 with 80 as the average speed (usually it's 10 over the posted limit on highways) is just as dangerous as driving 90mph on the same road. For the love of God don't pull into the passing lane at 10+mph less than the speed of traffic, you're going to cause an accident. If you get some perverse enjoyment out of frustrating most people on the road go ahead, but recognize that you're contributing to the risk of death for you and everyone else on that highway by refusing to move with the flow of traffic.

If only there was a maximum speed you are allowed to go on certain roads that everyone can agree upon and easily see - like on signs or something clearly visible. Then maybe this cap, or "limit," would have all drivers on the road have a small speed differential compared to each other and accidents would happen less often.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Realtalk: rear end in a top hat behind me who comes up doing 70 and starts swerving in and out of lanes like NASCAR - you're going to stop at the same red light as everyone else in 100 yards - just pick a lane and chill. You save no time by doing your bullshit.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
I can't believe I'm the first one to ask: WHAT DO YOU MEAN, YOU PEOPLE? (I'm a big black woman)

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

Amarcarts posted:

I can't believe I'm the first one to ask: WHAT DO YOU MEAN, YOU PEOPLE? (I'm a big black woman)

I thought it was understood that the op was specifically asking you, and thinks all big black women are terrible drivers.

kant
May 12, 2003

Node posted:

Nope. Follow the rules. If you want to rebel, write an angsty post on your livejournal about it. Let the mature people handle big boy things like this.

I'm a proponent of joining the crowd and being part of the majority. That's hardly being a 'rebel'.

You have two choices when you're on the road this morning. If you drive like usual nothing will have changed from last week. If you drive a tiny bit faster to keep up with the majority of drivers you'll decrease the average speed difference and make things a little bit safer. There's only one practical and rational choice.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

SweetKarma posted:

I drive about 30 minutes down the I-5 every morning on my way to and from work and drat near every one of you people are going 10+ miles an hour above the speed limit. What's your loving rush? You got a baby on the way or something? I have motherfuckers flipping me off as they pass me because I dared to drive the speed limit while passing a semi. Are you that desperate to get where you're going that you would endanger yourself and everyone else on the road just to get to your poo poo rear end job? Get up early and/or leave earlier so you can get to where the gently caress you're supposed to go. Once I hit 70 (California freeway speed limit) I hit the cruise control. It saves gas and my life.

Stay the gently caress out my way bitch.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

kant posted:

I'm a proponent of joining the crowd and being part of the majority. That's hardly being a 'rebel'.

You have two choices when you're on the road this morning. If you drive like usual nothing will have changed from last week. If you drive a tiny bit faster to keep up with the majority of drivers you'll decrease the average speed difference and make things a little bit safer. There's only one practical and rational choice.

That choice is clear. Open your mind to the inevitability of oblivion. Pluck the false sun of hope from the sky and swallow everything into eternal darkness. Drive slightly faster while riding on the freeway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
gently caress the well being and safety of others, some rules must be followed before others at all costs!

• Locked thread