Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tennance
Feb 8, 2013
OP, I effectively did exactly what you are suggesting for what seems like the same reasons.

As others in the thread have pointed out, it doesn't really /fix/ anything. Ultimately, the shortcomings in your life are primarily a result of your own inadequacies and cannot simply be avoided by dropping everything and starting anew in some other area, be it a new country or simply a new town. Travelling about won't show you anything, but the introspective monk-style period afterwards definitely will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
You should ask Mexicans how it is done, but moving to an EU country that is not flooded with "refugees" should be fairly easy since we already suck Americas dick around here.
If you move to eastern part of EU and have money, nobody will ever give a gently caress if you pay taxes or who you are. Only issue could be the healthcare system as that is the only thing that
requires you to "be signed in the system".

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

yogizh posted:

You should ask Mexicans how it is done, but moving to an EU country that is not flooded with "refugees" should be fairly easy since we already suck Americas dick around here.

Yeah, no, it really isn't. I'm in the UK for instance. Everyone (racists) are banging on about too many immigrants, just as they are pretty much everywhere else in the developed world. Most immigrants to the UK come from the EU, but EU rules prevent the government from doing anything to keep them out, so instead the government cracks down hard on non-EU immigrants so they can court that sweet bigot vote.

They'd probably like to mostly crack down on brown people and don't care one way or the other about Americans, but in order to appear even-handed immigration legislation applies to everyone. You've got a better chance of getting into the UK as a white dude from America than as a black dude from Kenya, but it's still pretty bloody expensive and difficult.

jlechem
Nov 2, 2011

Fun Shoe
OP assuming you're not trolling, forget working overseas as a programmer. If you're lucky you can work for a giant firm with an office overseas. I've tried twice over the past ten years and it's hard but no impossible. If you really want it, go get a passport and start looking for jobs that will send you overseas. I've found it hard enough getting a job in a different state. I've had some people tell me just go over with a tourist visa and try and get a job once you're there. But unless it's an English speaking country you're going to be in for a hard time. If you really want to live overseas go get a job teaching English. There are tons of places that will ship you overseas to teach English to kids in Thailand, etc.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

OP, I vividly remember the first day of your thread "Out of college but I still just want to have sex with college girls". I was living in Mongolia at the time with very limited internet so SA was about all I could do, and I followed that thread for months on end. You have serious emotional problems, and I am still to this day not entirely convinced that you are not an elaborate troll account based on your posts. If you are a real person, you need to fix your brain problems before you try and move to another country. It will not go well. You will be even lonelier and more depressed than you are now or were in Carolina or wherever you come from.

Also, please make sure to brush your teeth and don't let your hair grow into a skullet again.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

jlechem posted:

I've had some people tell me just go over with a tourist visa and try and get a job once you're there.

This is like super illegal pretty much everywhere.

jlechem
Nov 2, 2011

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

It's incredibly illegal, I've just had several people tell me to do it.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

jlechem posted:

It's incredibly illegal, I've just had several people tell me to do it.
That does not actually make it a good idea.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

feedmegin posted:

Legal in Taiwan only afaik, however its typical in many countries. The US is really the big stickler on that issue.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
According to some British chav who moved to my nation, Australia, there's paperwork on top of paperwork on top of a avalanche of paperwork.

So, apparently, be prepared to spend at least 18 months filing paperwork, having to resend it because they "lost" it, waiting six months for a response and then being rejected because the bureaucrat in charge of your case had a bad day.

Fun!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Sheep-Goats posted:

Legal in Taiwan only afaik, however its typical in many countries. The US is really the big stickler on that issue.

Not really. When I start a job in the UK I get to bring my passport in to prove I am an actual British person with the right to work in the UK and I have to give them my national insurance number (SSN in US parlance). I imagine anywhere else in Europe is the same. Under-the-table cash work like in a bar or something, maybe, but for a proper full-time job the tourist visa idea is in no way going to cut it.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Hahaha as a European I can tell you that the migrant crisis is barely noticeable unless you're on a major border point or working for charities. Americans need to stop getting their EU news from the KKK.

Things certainly aren't "in a mess right now" any more than they usually are. There's no chaos or upheval.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

feedmegin posted:

Not really. When I start a job in the UK I get to bring my passport in to prove I am an actual British person with the right to work in the UK and I have to give them my national insurance number (SSN in US parlance). I imagine anywhere else in Europe is the same. Under-the-table cash work like in a bar or something, maybe, but for a proper full-time job the tourist visa idea is in no way going to cut it.

The way it works for non Euro passport holders in some Euro member states is you go there and find work on a tourist visa, then go to the next country over with documentation the employer provided you, then process that info and get a work visa, then enter the country again on that. In other countries this pattern in your passport will likely get you denied the work visa outright. In places like the US it will likely get your visa denied and then you'll be barred from entry for 10 years and have a black mark in your record should you ever try to do things legit even after that.

At no point was I talking about actually working while holding a tourist visa. I was talking about changing from a tourist visa to a work visa. Taiwan allows you to do that in-country (no need to go to a neighboring state to F5 your visa status) and is the only place that allows it that I'm aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hey OP, I do this. However, it took me a long time to start earning enough money to make it viable, let alone comfortable, and I'm married to a local so my Visa situation is easy. If you've got some money saved up, just take a holiday. If you're dead set on actually emigrating and travelling, get your 'internet work' started BEFORE you leave. You need to make sure you have savings and/or a reliable income stream before you travel. I've known and met people who ran out of money in a foreign country, and it's really not much fun.

However, if you've planned properly, have money to support yourself, including enough for a flight home whenever you may need it, then I say go for it.

• Locked thread