Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Mine is a Bosch model speed sensor and it takes +12v, Signal, and GND. Signal is square wave varried by speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

CommieGIR posted:

Mine is a Bosch model speed sensor and it takes +12v, Signal, and GND. Signal is square wave varried by speed.

That's what I was expecting from mine. I was under the impression I should get around 4000 pulses per mile. Unless my lovely cheap digital multimeter is just too cheap and lovely to register it properly? - I will try bench testing it again.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tomarse posted:

That's what I was expecting from mine. I was under the impression I should get around 4000 pulses per mile. Unless my lovely cheap digital multimeter is just too cheap and lovely to register it properly? - I will try bench testing it again.

I'm betting it's the multimeter. You really need an Oscilloscope to see it at speed.

noisymime
Oct 6, 2015

I tame lightning and transmute Arduinos into ECUs
2 things could be happening here:

1) It's an open collector hall sensor, which means that it outputs a ground and floating signal. These are very common and you have to use a pullup resistor with them.
2) A multimeter won't register the voltage properly unless it can do frequency.

I'd guess that it could be option 1...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

noisymime posted:

1) It's an open collector hall sensor, which means that it outputs a ground and floating signal. These are very common and you have to use a pullup resistor with them.

I know I had to use a pull up resistor on my distributor's hall sensor

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

noisymime posted:

Saw your Hackaday.io page! Congrats!

Anybody know what pin the DB-37 on Megasquirt1 V3 you use for MAF signal? They show the internal wiring, but no indication which wire is used for the Signal input.

noisymime? Any possibility of adding MAF to Speeduino?

noisymime
Oct 6, 2015

I tame lightning and transmute Arduinos into ECUs

CommieGIR posted:

noisymime? Any possibility of adding MAF to Speeduino?
At this stage probably not. Just isn't something I'd really want to look at putting the time into I'm afraid. It *may* happen at some point int he future, but too few people have been interested in running it and it's a fairly large piece of work to get right.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Hmmm. This may be a weird question, but how hard is it to make Tunerstudio talk to different maps than normal?

I suppose I should quantify that.

My goal is to make a rotary specific ignition controller forked off the Speeduino code - class rules I'm building a car for require carburetors, but ignition is free. So I want to get rotary ignition split working (which I know is in there for Megasquirts) for COP, but also closed loop spark flat foot shift. See, on some production ECUs there's a trans speed input and a lookup table to relate that and engine RPM to figure out what gear you're in - so you have some conditionals (WOT, clutch switch, etc) to figure out when the driver is upshifting and then spark cut until things are at the right RPM for the next gear. And it would be nice to have some of the tuning variables from that accessible easily.

I'm not that averse to just making my own system for tuning things (probably labview because I'm lazy and spark-only will be a lot easier to fine tune than normal MS installs) but it might be nice not reinventing every wheel at once.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Simple Microsquirt question:

I have a suzuki bandit 1200 with a very basic MS setup (installed and dynod by the PO who I have no contact with). It has a quadspark running the factory wasted spark coils, hayabusa ITB's with banked pairs of injectors and no MAF/MAP or o2 sensor. It also has an open header.

When I first got it, I ran it briefly and it seemed to run very well. Soon after I removed the battery and stuck it on a charger for a while. When I put the battery back in, like an idiot I only hooked up the large array of MS related earths to the earth terminal and not the main earth strap going to the frame. Naturally it didn't crank or start after a few attempts, at which point I had to go do something else. About a week later I checked more closely, realised my gently caress-up and hooked everything up correctly.

It now runs like a massive misfiring sack of poo poo.

The misfire comes and goes in intensity but it's always there and has that really choppy, random quality that makes you think it's a fuel problem, but cuts in so abruptly that I'm leaning toward spark. It can only idle briefly without assistance and is almost impossible to ride at even very low speeds because it keeps cutting in and out. I also can't do any testing with it running because neighbours complain. Everything is connected up properly (I haven't really disturbed anything anyway since getting the bike), the engine is mechanically sound w.r.t. valve clearances, plugs, leads et al.

Is it possible to trash your MS by doing what I've done, somehow?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Buy an exhaust for it and does the datalog have anything interesting in it?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't want to buy an exhaust for it if there's something much more expensive wrong with it under the skin, I'm on a shoestring and $300+ is a lot of money to blindly chuck at something. I also feel like it should run at least reasonably well with just the header, especially as it ran fine when I first got it; all my mechanic senses are telling me the current terribleness is far too much to be caused by a simple lack of a muffler.

As for the log, I generated a brief one of getting it started and keeping it from dying by holding the throttle slightly open. The rpm track is very rough and choppy even while the TPS is flat lined from my holding the throttle open by cranking the stop screw right up. The only unusual looking thing is the coolant temp spikes and dips periodically and not in coincidence with anything else going on. Obviously there is no coolant temp to sense and no sensor to do it so I don't see how this is possible?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Slavvy posted:

I don't want to buy an exhaust for it if there's something much more expensive wrong with it under the skin, I'm on a shoestring and $300+ is a lot of money to blindly chuck at something. I also feel like it should run at least reasonably well with just the header, especially as it ran fine when I first got it; all my mechanic senses are telling me the current terribleness is far too much to be caused by a simple lack of a muffler.

As for the log, I generated a brief one of getting it started and keeping it from dying by holding the throttle slightly open. The rpm track is very rough and choppy even while the TPS is flat lined from my holding the throttle open by cranking the stop screw right up. The only unusual looking thing is the coolant temp spikes and dips periodically and not in coincidence with anything else going on. Obviously there is no coolant temp to sense and no sensor to do it so I don't see how this is possible?

If there are variable readings coming from a sensor you don't even have then it implies something is messed up somewhere. Is the TPS reading evenly/correctly too and just how 'choppy' is the RPM? I assume it uses both of these to do the fueling?

If it doesn't physically have a coolant temp sensor does it still have the wiring loom for it? Do you still have an earthing issue so it is managing to get some sort of reading from the coolant sensor pin?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The TPS reading is perfect, the rpm is a semi-random zig-zag varying by maybe ~150 revs. The temp sensor harness is grounded to the block and I can't find anything wrong with the grounds, the only slightly sketchy thing I can find is that the half a dozen or so MS grounds are bolted to a small machined aluminium plate which is itself bolted to the earth terminal.

Pitcher:

The earlier spikes are me just trying to get it running enough to hold consistent revs. It also fouls the plugs like a fucker and floods super fast if you aren't careful.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok so I had a go at sticking a spare spark plug in the end of the lead and having a look at the spark itself. It looks very feeble and probably explains why the bike fouls and has so much difficulty running. Is it conceivable that I hosed the quadspark module by not having all the grounds hooked up and attempting to start the bike?

There doesn't appear to be any documentation for diagnosing the module with a multimeter; if worst comes to worst I'll spend the $90 but I'd like to have at least some idea that it's faulty before buying another one. I don't know how it's wired internally, ]is it worth switching the input and output wires so they're running coil circuits C and D instead of A and B? Or is it all joined together somehow internally, making this a useless test?

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
It is certainly possible to kill things with a "split ground", with something like the starter -> ground connection going the wrong way could kill all kinds of things. Also ignition modules are possible to burn out by just giving them "the wrong signal" (such as way too long dwell or an inverted signal). No idea about the fragility of the Quadspark module though.
Just comparing for example input and output resistance of the four different channels of the quadspark could get you some information (obviously when disconnected from ECU and coils). If they're all the same it doesn't say much, but if A or B are different from C&D, that could indicate brokenness.

Using the two other circuits in the quadspark should make a useful test (or maybe even a fix). At least something inside that thing is going to be separate bits for the separate channels (they do have separate grounds, so it might be four independent circuits). If you have an oscilloscope / scopemeter I would suggest first just making sure that the spark output signals from the megasquirt are good though, in that they "make sense" relative to ground (measured across signal input and ground on the quadspark).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Unfortunately I haven't got a scope or any means of scrounging one so no real way of making sure the MS signal is ok, but I have the feeling (wishful thinking?) that it is because the spark is constant and uninterrupted when testing with the plug, it's just consistently really weak. That makes me think the MS is doing it's job hunky-dory.

I'll have a go at measuring the resistance of the different channels, the harness is soldered to the MS harness but I'll just jab pins into the insulation (after disconnecting the ecu of course) and have a go.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Just use your multimeter and turn the bike on (but don't start it) and check voltage potential between alleged ground points. Starter casing to engine housing, starter casing to frame, to battery negative, etc.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
Sounds very much like you've murdered that ignition module to me. But I'd want to check the outputs with something anyway... A meter in AC voltage mode might give some indication of whether they're being driven if you've got one that can read frequency/duty?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Grounds are good, tried swapping to the other two channels on the module. Result is basically the same as before, steady but lovely weak spark, coughs and splutters and won't run, floods like a bastard.

Multimeter reveals all four channels have the same impedance from the signal to the earth and nothing else.

My meter doesn't do duty :L

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I wonder if you could use a diy homebrew ECU to run a common rail diesel?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ferremit posted:

Sure, but it would be very homebrew, as most kit ECUs are gas only.

http://hackaday.com/2012/07/10/building-a-homebrew-diesel-ecu/

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 13, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ferremit posted:

The injectors are the hard part, on Toyotas at least they're driven by ~120 volts.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Voltage itself isn't necessarily much of a problem, driver circuitry is pretty straightforward to put together. The thing the various homebrew ECU/EFI lacks (together with most of the popular third-party ECUs such as Megasquirt) is all the logic to handle the precise timing of fuel injection. They do precise timing for ignition, and they handle precise length of pulses for fuel injection, but they're really separate things. Also all the lookup tables, logic around that, and the various compensations going on are just build for petrol. Far from impossible to make something that can handle electronic diesel common-rail injectors, but also far from trivial. I'm sure noisymime would love it if someone added diesel capability to Speeduino.

That hackaday project is as far as I understand something "simpler", if I read it right the arduino controls the pressure/flow delivered by the pump but the actual injection is done mechanically (or through some other means).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

The injectors are the hard part, on Toyotas at least they're driven by ~120 volts.

What? How?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Voltage boosting and big MOSFETs? Given the rail pressure in thousands of atmospheres, I assume 12/24V wasn't going to hack it.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
DC to DC converters and crap. Most very high pressure injectors are piezo, which take a lot of voltage to do their thing, and I think you have to be able to dump voltage out of them for them to return to rest position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

CommieGIR posted:

What? How?

My non CR Toyota diesel uses a spill control valve to regulate fuel volume inside the injector pump (once the desired fuel volume has passed after the injector spring cracks it bleeds off the pressure and shuts the injector off) and that runs on 12v up until around 2000rpm but after that 12v cant open and close the valve fast enough, so the spill control driver uses a DC-DC converter to crank the voltage up to around 120v to get the valve speed up.

Considering toyotas piezo injectors are firing 7-12 times per injection event I can see why they're using high voltage to make em jump faster

• Locked thread