Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I just watched it and this loving owned and yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Alain Post posted:

Like what, do you think REvolution should have ended with Owens murdering Zayn, following by them hugging and celebrating that they did such a good job at setting up that angle? Wtf

that special that featured the entire locker room and pat patterson coming out to lift sami zayn on their shoulders after his win

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ruggington posted:

that special that featured the entire locker room and pat patterson coming out to lift sami zayn on their shoulders after his win

Which was followed by them setting up an angle.

Like this didn't bother me that much but like, it's hard enough to get real heat for anything these days, there's no need to make it harder by doing stuff like that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
like, really, what bothered me was the glib dismissal of it as "oh sorry you hate emotion". like come on.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

It's the first women's main event, longest women's match, a follow-up to the hottest match of the year, and most likely sasha banks' final match in nxt

maybe just let the people involved with this product be happy with what they've done even if it doesn't further a loving storyline

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
In a show revolved around "respect," it was cool to see Sasha and Bayley show great respect for each other in the end, and for the entire locker room show their respect to the both of them as they enjoy the greatest moment of their careers. Genuinely happy endings in wrestling are awesome, and I wish they would happen more often.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Alain Post posted:

like, really, what bothered me was the glib dismissal of it as "oh sorry you hate emotion". like come on.

I'm sorry you hate emotion

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
Entire show owned hard, top to bottom.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Great show. All good to great matches, even Dana and Baron looked pretty good, Asuka murdered someone on live television, and the main event ruled. I wanted Dash & Dawson to take the tournament and cement that they care about actual tag teams, but they still looked great and commentary put them over like crazy.

The only thing that kinda bothered me in the main is why would the ref bother to count when both of them were outside the ring? If he got to 10 for both of them it literally wouldn't matter.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Thought that too until I realized that one of them could have made it in before 10 and the other would get counted out.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Flameingblack posted:

Thought that too until I realized that one of them could have made it in before 10 and the other would get counted out.

I think that is actually how Sasha got her second fall. I'd have to go back and watch, but in the moment it definitely didn't feel like a full 10 count with her in the ring.

Thinking more about the story of the match, I love that Sasha's two falls both came from really heeling it up. Until the newly focused Bayley tore through the roster, Sasha held onto the belt with pure skill. She may have played dirty early in matches, but she won the belt and retained through clean finishes where she was just better. Coming into this match, Sasha's goal was to prove that Bayley was only the better wrestler in Brooklyn by a fluke. Then when the match started and it was clear that this would be Brooklyn all over again, she got desperate to prove it so she had to go right to the Ric Flair playbook. And that couldn't even work because Bayley is the new ace who will bust out brand new submissions to win in the last 10 seconds.

For as much as WWE relies on story lines to drive the product, you'd think that they would want their matches to tell deeper stories than "This guy kicked out and then the other guy kicked out and now a third guy hit is here to cause a DQ."

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Sidebar: I don't know the name of the ref with the incredibly groomed eyebrows, but after Brooklyn and last night, he's on my "good ref" radar. Always in position, enforces the rules properly, and his counts are smooth and regular.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
I thought the ending was great too but on the other hand it's the second women's main event they've ended with something like this in a row. It was fine and justified but you can't ignore the lack of build to pretty much anything coming next in any story in NXT right now.

Good event, hope we get some idea what's next soon, time to stop hugging for a bit and set up some rasslin.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Golashes posted:

I thought the ending was great too but on the other hand it's the second women's main event they've ended with something like this in a row. It was fine and justified but you can't ignore the lack of build to pretty much anything coming next in any story in NXT right now.

Good event, hope we get some idea what's next soon, time to stop hugging for a bit and set up some rasslin.

Not every show needs to set up the next angle. That is what TV is for.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Golashes posted:

next is asuka murdering bayley, rip

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.
The event kicked rear end, and while Bayley/Sasha was about as good as everyone expected, the problem was Takeover Brooklyn was on a higher plane of existence, and that was just a perfect storm of setting, character, performance, and storytelling. Felt honored to witness a landmark match, Sasha did great heeling it up, Bayley had some showstopping moments, and a lot of class from everyone by the end.

Sure, you couldn't re-capture all the magic, but I can't refuse a match of that quality. And hey, it was the closer. Imagine how good Bayley/Asuka matches are going to be.

Gable/Jordan vs Rhyno/Corbin was surprisingly not forgettable. Even Corbin had some great spots, and Gable did really well when he actually got a chance to impress. Dana Brooke did pretty well, but that match was just an exhibition of Asuka's general movelist.

Overall, yeah, "Better than RAW", as the crowd put it, not like that is a high bar to overcome nowadays.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

What a great show. Everything was good.

Jordan and Gable are amazing. Asuka was fantastic and made Dana Brooke look great. The Mechanics are incredible. The main event was superb.

Everything was really top notch and fantastic.

I don't know that the Better Than Raw comments really do this justice. It was, top to bottom, one of the most solid and enjoyable shows the company has had in a long time. It was a joy to watch from start to finish.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

This is the best show since the Tokyo Dome show nothing under 3 and a half stars.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Alain Post posted:

Like what, do you think REvolution should have ended with Owens murdering Zayn, following by them hugging and celebrating that they did such a good job at setting up that angle? Wtf

I seriously can't believe that you think this is an apt comparison

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
This show wasn't as good as the Brooklyn show.

Gable/Jordan should have gone over, the finals had no one caring as it was hard to get behind a monster face team vs a heel team when the faces are the huge overdogs.

Tyler should've gone over Apollo in that match. Tyler beat the poo poo out of Apollo who sold and sold then having Apollo win felt... wrong. Tyler needed that win a lot more than Apollo did.

Bayley/Sasha was good but was not as good as the Brooklyn match. Sasha is the best heel.

Asuka was the standout star of the show.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Lid posted:

Tyler should've gone over Apollo in that match. Tyler beat the poo poo out of Apollo who sold and sold then having Apollo win felt... wrong. Tyler needed that win a lot more than Apollo did.
two things here:

1) Apollo spent the entire match selling because they want to see how he looks in a position where he needs to sell, something important if they ever decide he's going to be a big babyface star

2) Apollo is going to be a big babyface star and Tyler Breeze is a guy they have slotted as gatekeeper so he's probably never going to get big wins. He'll probably get another title shot down the line but he's been groomed for this role pretty much ever since he made the switch to Tyler Breeze and got over finally

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Breeze is already established wouldn't gain anything from beating and up and coming guy, and Apollo winning helps cement himself as a title picture guy.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Tyler "Always the Bridesmaid" Breeze

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Hace posted:

Breeze is already established wouldn't gain anything from beating and up and coming guy, and Apollo winning helps cement himself as a title picture guy.

Its too hard and too fast. NXT is suffering an extent from overpushing currently, which is not necessarily a bad thing but this would be the third title challenger quickly built from joining. Sami spent over a year working to his shot, it was great. Then Owens killed him which went with his gimmick of taking his spot which was great. Then Finn took it off Owens because Owens was moved to the main that was a bit sudden and it was good but Finn was reletively new. Now we have Apollo immediately as being pushed to the mains over Breeze and if he wins the belt is playing hop scotch and if he loses where does he go?

Breeze is "established" as an NXT guy but at the last event he lost to Jushin Liger and now rather than being an escalating feud with Crews he has become a speed bump. He has lost the sheen of being a guy who is at the top but not the top. Now he's the NXT Val Venis which is NOT something NXT needs as now no one can take him seriously as a threat. A win and feud with Crews would have elevated both, now they're both in a weird spot.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apollo never gets involved with the title and is hotshotted to the main roster. There's no way Vince can resist a guy like that and all he really needs to do is work on the character.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Eltoasto posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Apollo never gets involved with the title and is hotshotted to the main roster. There's no way Vince can resist a guy like that and all he really needs to do is work on the character.

He's already playing one of Vince's ideal black characters. I mean he smiles and everything. What more could you want?

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Charles Gnarwin posted:

He's already playing one of Vince's ideal black characters. I mean he smiles and everything. What more could you want?

Dancing.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
If they wanted to have a match where Apollo was being beat the gently caress up on and then won overcoming adversity it would've been better with Baron Corbin for example which while the match would suck a lot more would've made more sense with the story they wanted to tell. Instead Breeze, who comparatively looks small to Apollo and is not a powerhouse, worked his rear end off desperate for the win fighting and clawing and trying his best. And then Apollo won. It's just not a good use of either of them.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

they did sign rich swann

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

oatgan posted:

they did sign rich swann

Oh my god I just realized that I need Rich as PTP's babyface equivalent to Xavier Woods more than I need the air that I breathe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

personally i thought it was a good show, but not good enough -- my favorite wrestler, curtis axel, did not go over, and was not even on the card! ***1/2 stars.

• Locked thread