Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
noisymime
Oct 6, 2015

I tame lightning and transmute Arduinos into ECUs
After the untimely theft and torching of my beloved Mk2 GT Cortina (First car and all that) I wanted a new toy along the same lines but that I wasn't going to be too precious about keeping standard.

Enter this magnificent beast, an amazingly untouched 1968 2 door Mk2 Cortina. It had sat for nearly 20 years in storage and despite being fairly stripped down was in amazing condition. Not a single spot of rust on the whole thing and the paint in some areas looked brand new.

First step was just to make the whole car complete and running, essentially in totally stock form.

The interior was left pretty bare as this was always going to be a light competition car rather than for shows or anything.

Bog standard 1600cc engine went in, pumping out an almighty 65hp, heady stuff.

After it was all up and running, it wasn't long before suspension and brakes started getting played with. DIY coilovers on the front, single leaves on the back.

Ok so that was all well and good, but you can only have so much fun with a standard 1968 car. I've never been a big fan of engine swaps, so there was never a question that whatever I did with it, it with be with the good old kent engine that it came with. Sure you could do Webers, big cams etc, but that been done to death, so on went some fuel injection and ignition

Tacked onto it is an injection inlet from a Toyota Celica (2T-GEU), some aftermarket 350Z coils (Okada Projects Plasma) and a Megasquirt 3 controlling it all. Injection and ignition are full sequential with a 36-1 crank wheel and a single tooth cam trigger arrangement, both using hall sensors. The original 220cc Low-Z Celica injectors were replaced with 365cc high-Z units from a supercharged MR2 (4AGZE).

Fuel setup all had to be done from scratch (Was only half finished here)

OK so that was good fun and the car had never driven so smoothly. Power was up a bit, but not really anything to write home about. Clearly the next step was obvious

On went the turbo and things finally started getting interesting. Had a few problems early on. Boost was pushing open the saggy 45 year old inlet valves, so put on a new set of double springs, the old crankcase ventilation system really didn't like having positive pressure in the plenum, so that had to get redone etc. Next step is the methanol injection followed closely by a new engine that is currently plumbing never before explored depths of my back pocket.

So that's about it. Not sure if there's much interest in this sort of thing round here, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
:stonk:

That is superb work. Any videos or sound bites for us? I've never seen that engine before, much less turbocharged. How long from purchase to the last photo?

noisymime
Oct 6, 2015

The whole project has been about 9 years. Turbo went on about 18 months or so ago. Injection was a couple of years before that.

I really must get a better video. It's off to an event this weekend, so might try to do something then. The only one I have is this https://youtu.be/wkAPQIDhGk8

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.
this is loving hot.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

I think you are channeling AI perfectly. Have you decided on an engine? Can I be the dumbarse that suggests a turbo barra? It seems too good to be true...

Are there any other AI vicgoons floating around?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
drat this is a Good Thread, awesome work so far.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Amazing work, god drat.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

This is extremely my poo poo, both for the Outback Astronaut build decisions and the probably-pedestrian-to-you-but-super-unique to north americans content.

Keep it up, I'd love to see more.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
that is good and clean.

Very, Very nice.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
UNF

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Cortinas are neat and turbos are neat, too. Therefore, this car = neat as hell.

Cool thread.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You're a sick, sick man.

But I love it.

noisymime
Oct 6, 2015

Lilbeefer posted:

I think you are channeling AI perfectly. Have you decided on an engine? Can I be the dumbarse that suggests a turbo barra? It seems too good to be true...

The engine will be another Kent Crossflow.

Probably taken out a little to 1700cc but then everything else turned up to 11. Forged everything, custom pistons (The combustion chamber on these things is in the piston not the head, which makes for a heavy, heat soaking piston. New pistons will be as light as possible, ceramic coated etc).

I've explored possibly converting a head to OHC (It's OHV standard) and it is possible, but not sure it's worth the effort. I'd really like to somehow get VVT on there and it's a bit tricky with the cam in the block. Not impossible, but tricky.

Only aiming for around a bar of boost and roughly 200hp, which will be fairly conservative for the engine, but I want to do it right so that the boost can be turned up later when the water/meth stuff is all working. It's a 50 year old engine design, so anything over 100hp/litre is good enough in my book. The car will still be under about 900kg, so it doesn't need a lot of power to make it do silly things.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Holy poo poo. Now that's one hell of a opening post to say the least

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Goddamn, that is one clean car.

scuz posted:

:stonk:

That is superb work. Any videos or sound bites for us? I've never seen that engine before, much less turbocharged. How long from purchase to the last photo?

Just looked it up. We actually did get it in the US, but only in the 71-73 Pinto and 77-80 Fiesta.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Lilbeefer posted:

North melbourne represent!

That corty is going to be seriously rad; always had a soft spot for cortinas (with 4cyl engines) sucks about the old cortina getting stolen are you gonna do anything to stop this one getting pinched (i have unlocked and started cortinas with spoons before)

Edit: you really dont want a cortina with a six cylinder, i've driven a few with crossflow heads and they are awful to drive lead arrow sums it up perfectly. ecoboost would be pretty cool tho

big dong wanter fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 9, 2015

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Awesome ride! And thanks for posting a pretty much completed project and not jerking us off for 10 years :)

Can you get a BDA engine? Because I think you should get one. Period correct, no turbo silliness and looks awesome:

noisymime
Oct 6, 2015

mobby_6kl posted:

Awesome ride! And thanks for posting a pretty much completed project and not jerking us off for 10 years :)

Can you get a BDA engine? Because I think you should get one. Period correct, no turbo silliness and looks awesome:

Hmmm, I suppose I don't NEED that 2nd kidney....

The going rate on those things is about $10k for one needing a rebuild. Now sure I'm still going to be spending near that on the new engine, but it's also going to be built for the turbo and will be able to put out more power without anywhere near the revs or stress the BDA would need.

Not to say I wouldn't jump all over one if someone offered it cheap, but short of that and winning the lottery, it should be fun to see what the little kent can do.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

Edit: you really dont want a cortina with a six cylinder, i've driven a few with crossflow heads and they are awful to drive lead arrow sums it up perfectly. ecoboost would be pretty cool tho

GG a Cortina with a Barra motor = death trap. That would create an epic crater in whatever it hits. It would certainly be loving fast in a straight line.....

OP, What's the green car? Mk1 Cortina?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

OP, What's the green car? Mk1 Cortina?

It looks like a Mark 1.

Nice work on the Mark 2 :)

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Agreed re barra in a Cortina, hence me calling myself a dumbarse for suggesting it. I think the route you are going down is the correct one!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Lilbeefer posted:

I think the route you are going down is the correct one!

Duratec would also be a great option.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Duratec would also be a great option.

A bunch of guys have done pretty nice builds with Zetecs in similar age old Fords. You'd lose some of the character though.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
There's a late 70s cortina with some sort of turbo six running around bell st and sometimes on the hwy. It looks like a total handful even in a straight line.

noisymime
Oct 6, 2015

Engine swaps aren't really my thing, so it'll definitely be starting with the original engine. Call me a purist if you must, but I think it takes away an important part of the car.

The dark green car in the shed is a mk1 GT, my dads toy. The lime green wagon in one of the really early pics was a mk2 GT that came from Fords SVO plant in England. Very cool car, but it was 1 too many projects at the time and we got rid of it a while back.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Just out of interest, which car club are you a member of to get the club plates? I have a 1965 Falcon and want to get club plates on it.

noisymime
Oct 6, 2015

You Am I posted:

Just out of interest, which car club are you a member of to get the club plates? I have a 1965 Falcon and want to get club plates on it.

Ahhh, this is potentially a more thorny question than you might've intended it as.... With the recent changes to club plate regulations, you need to be exceptionally careful about how you handle an application for a modified car. This thing had to go in for its inspection about 6 weeks ago (It's been registered for years, but needed a new inspection with the new rules) and I'd spent about 2 months prior to that compiling a mountain of documentation to support its validity. I've studied the Victorian regs very closely and I'm confident that this car is within them, but boy it's a lot of red tape.

To give a terribly vague answer to your question, I'm with a local car club (That I'd prefer not to name) but that have always been relatively strict with their inspections. Not as strict as some probably, but I know of some other clubs that are incredibly lax in their interpretation of the rules

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The ute isn't modified, just wanting to get a club membership so I can get the plates.

There is an Early Falcon club, but they are on the other side of the city to me and their meeting time is completely inconvenient for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Good poo poo. My grandmother had a mk2 cortina 440 so I have a soft spot for them.
(Still angry no one told me when I was 16 that she was selling it and not driving any more. It could have been my first car and led me down a different path)

• Locked thread